The Student Room Group

How to dye black hair to natural blonde?

I'm a guy so I don't know a lot about hair. Is it possible to dye my black hair to natural blonde of many blonde shades? Will I need to dye my black eyebrows to match my blonde hair too?

Any advice about doing this?
I think you'd most likely have to bleach your hair and then apply a blonde dye. If you've never bleached your hair before (I assume you haven't) then it's best to go to a hairdresser :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by laylarose
I think you'd most likely have to bleach your hair and then apply a blonde dye. If you've never bleached your hair before (I assume you haven't) then it's best to go to a hairdresser :yep:

Ok but I'm a bit worried about dyeing my hair because it grows very fast. Will this mean that I'll have black roots showing within a few days? Is it expensive to maintain blonde hair?
Blonde doesn't look good on guys. Darker hair is much more attractive. Please don't go blonde.
Reply 4
With alot of bleaching.
Yes, you'd need to bleach it first though. I recommend that you get that done at a hairdressers as I know a hell of a lot of girls who went black/dark haired to blonde haired and just ended up with an off-yellow straw like hair.
I'm gonna move to F&B :smile:
Original post by Scrawt
Ok but I'm a bit worried about dyeing my hair because it grows very fast. Will this mean that I'll have black roots showing within a few days? Is it expensive to maintain blonde hair?

It depends on hair growth, so perhaps roots will show within a month or so? But in my opinion, black hair is really attractive on a guy - not blonde. Bleaching will pretty much ruin your hair unless you care for it with really expensive shampoos and conditioning treatments and it can be difficult to get your natural hair colour back if you so wished to. Keep your natural colour!
Reply 8
Bleach will make you go ginger before blonde! It would take two applications of bleach over a period of a week (because you can't bleach your hair twice in a day) for your hair to go blonde. I would suggest going to a unisex hairdressers like Supercuts, since they would be able to give you the exact look you want in one sitting. Home bleaching is likely to end up damaging your hair and its colour, especially if you've never done it before.
Bleach two or three times then use blonde hair dye.

You will get obvious black roots after a week or two.

And I'd lighten your eyebrows too if you can. Not blonde, but a dark brown at the very least.
black to blonde will be many things but it most certainly wont be 'natural'

the eyebrows will never look quite right, roots will show within a week or so, the condition will be wrecked and its gonna get expensive!

Apart from that its a great idea!

Honestly, if you want to experiment with the colour then get some advice from a professional, they might recommend something a bit less drastic. Even Adam Levine looks AWFUL with blonde hair and thats one good looking guy!
You'd have to bleach it but bleaching is really not good for the hair so I'd advise against it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending