The Student Room Group

What do I need to get an A* in OCR philosophy and ethics A level?

I scored 75 UMS in AS Philosophy and 94 UMS in AS ethics which totalled at an A overall however I have really improved this year and have not had an essay back of less than 32/35 since December. I have seen many different answers to this question as many have said that you definitely need to have an average of 90 at AS which I do not have but then I have also seen posts saying that AS does not matter as long as you score over 320 UMS overall with 180 at A2 which I definitely think is do-able. Any help/confirmation??
You need at least 90% in the A2 units, so you need 320/400 overall, with 180 coming from the A2 units. As long as you get at least 70% in AS it doesn't matter in terms of getting an A* overall as long as it adds up 320.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AJLiverpool
I scored 75 UMS in AS Philosophy and 94 UMS in AS ethics which totalled at an A overall however I have really improved this year and have not had an essay back of less than 32/35 since December. I have seen many different answers to this question as many have said that you definitely need to have an average of 90 at AS which I do not have but then I have also seen posts saying that AS does not matter as long as you score over 320 UMS overall with 180 at A2 which I definitely think is do-able. Any help/confirmation??

You need to get an A overall in your A level and 90% UMS on average in your A2 units. So at the moment it's possible that you could get an A*. Good luck and here's a somewhat useful article on the subject:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16356-a-level-a-frequently-asked-questions.pdf

Hope that clears things up. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by toronto353
You need to get 80% UMS on average in your AS level units and 90% UMS on average in your A2 units. So at the moment it's possible since you got 84.5 UMS average at AS level. Good luck and here's a somewhat useful, though out of date, article on the subject (the A* stuff is still relevant though as far as I know):

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A-star_grades_at_A-level

Hope that clears things up. :smile:

You don't need 80% in AS as long as the whole award adds up to 320 out of 400, with 180 from A2. 180 (90% at A2) + 140 (70% at AS) = 320 = A*. You need 80% overall in the whole A-level; you've misread this as 80% in AS.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Groundearth
You don't need 80% in AS as long as the whole award adds up to 320 out of 400, with 180 from A2. 180 (90% at A2) + 140 (70% at AS) = 320 = A*. You need 80% overall in the whole A-level; you've misread this as 80% in AS.

Already altered when I realised that the advice has changed from when I did A levels. :smile: Would you be able to delete the post in which you quoted me please so as not to cause confusion between my current and previous answer? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest