The Student Room Group

Query for midwifery students ...

Hey everyone,

I know this thread is in the wrong place but I don't know where this thread would fit ...

I was just wondering how you'd recommend supporting a woman at the early stages of labour when she is having contractions. I was thinking of saying something along the lines of 'breathe through the contraction'....

As a medical student, I usually think of how to help someone medically but I'm not sure about what would be patronising and what would in fact be beneficial.

Please help :smile:

Thanks!
Do whatever she wants that isn't going to be actively harmful, no matter how silly it sounds?
Original post by hali0112

I was just wondering how you'd recommend supporting a woman at the early stages of labour when she is having contractions. I was thinking of saying something along the lines of 'breathe through the contraction'....

As a medical student, I usually think of how to help someone medically but I'm not sure about what would be patronising and what would in fact be beneficial.

Early stages?

Tell her to go home and do whatever she had planned for early labour - walk around, bounce on a birthing ball, take a bath, sleep, distractions, visualization etc. might not really need much 'breathing' coaching whe it's just like period pain! :smile:
Hey everyone,

I know this thread is in the wrong place but I don't know where this thread would fit ...

Probably in Nursing and Midwifery :tongue:

I've moved it for you :wink:

Thanks!

Breathing exercises, warm baths, co-codamol, back rubs. The midwife led unit where we were planning on having our little one also used a lot of aromatherapy and so on. We also tried a TENS machine which was quite helpful. What works for one person doesn't for another though and each woman deals with her contractions differently, some cope really well with them and continue with their normal day to day activities whereas others can find them so bad they struggle to do anything.
Reply 4
Thank you everyone for your replies! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending