The Student Room Group

What stationery do I need for A-level Biology and Chemistry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks so much guys! :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Laurasaur
My own list of things to buy:

A clear pencil case,
HB pencils,
coloured pencils,
black pens,
blue+red+green pens,
highlighters,
rubber,
ruler in cm,
sharpener,
scientific calculator,
Pukka pads/ any writing paper,
dividers to separate topics in folder,
*a small ring binder/ folder (to take home work if no exercise books),
arch lever files (put in work that you took home in small ring binder),
laptop if you want to type work,
textbooks,
card to make flash cards,
Whiteboard/ blackboard (+pens/chalk) for revision
and tissues if you feel like crying...

*if you don't want to bring 4+ huge arch lever folders to sixthform everyday, this is for the transport of work :wink:

Thank you! Very helpful, so over the course of the year, do you think each subject would fill a whole lever arch file? :redface:
Original post by Huda_medo
Thank you! Very helpful, so over the course of the year, do you think each subject would fill a whole lever arch file? :redface:

You're more than welcome :biggrin:
It can depend on the subject. For subjects like maths, I don't think you'd fill one up completely for AS, but for subjects that you may need a lot of notes in, you might.
If you only put school work in it for one year, it wouldn't completely fill it- unless you do a lot of work, or if you have very big handwriting.
But if you fill it with the specification, school work and past papers (which is what I am doing), it may get a bit full. :smile:

I'm going to separate each file, with dividers, into the specification, different topics of the subject, then print past papers+mark schemes and put them at the end of each topic-where the questions cover the topic. Or I will shove a load of papers and mark schemes at the very end of the file, but I won't write on the papers: I'll use separate paper to write my answers on so that I can reuse the paper and questions without having to print more...by this point, I've already deforested a small rainforest!
(edited 9 years ago)
Sincere and honest advice.
I know a lot of people say that you need to dive straight in from the beginning else you will fail. But after completing a level this year, my best advice is this.

From day 1 just keep up with class work. You do not need to work your ass off at the beginning, just make sure that you've kept up with work in general in a way that come exam time, none of the topics are new to you. So don't overwork yourself at the beginning, you'll need that energy a couple of weeks before the exam.

And in terms of biology and chemistry, download all the past papers and split them into their topics. Once this is done follow this method.

1. Read the bio/Chem book
2. Do a little research just to further your understanding and clear up anything your unclear on
3. Then use those exam papers that you've divided into a topic.

The key thing to revision is, once you've read the book you need to straight away practice, as in put that knowledge into application. Only then will it essentially stick to your head.

Best sites for chemistry
Alevelchemistry. Com

And for bio
Type v's biology into Google and click the first link.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies

But you're supposed to have one for the exam? :tongue: well I had to!

Posted from TSR Mobile

'twas a joke. :wink:
Reply 25
You're more than welcome :biggrin:
It can depend on the subject. For subjects like maths, I don't think you'd fill one up completely for AS, but for subjects that you may need a lot of notes in, you might.
If you only put school work in it for one year, it wouldn't completely fill it- unless you do a lot of work, or if you have very big handwriting.
But if you fill it with the specification, school work and past papers (which is what I am doing), it may get a bit full. :smile:

I'm going to separate each file, with dividers, into the specification, different topics of the subject, then print past papers+mark schemes and put them at the end of each topic-where the questions cover the topic. Or I will shove a load of papers and mark schemes at the very end of the file, but I won't write on the papers: I'll use separate paper to write my answers on so that I can reuse the paper and questions without having to print more...by this point, I've already deforested a small rainforest!

What do you mean into the specification?
Original post by MK25699
What do you mean into the specification?

You do realise this was posted last year, right? 😂

Let me rephrase it, my thoughts are usually very incoherent!

In an arch lever file, I had several dividers (pieces of thick paper with a tab on the side). After one divider, I put the specification in, AKA the syllabus. After another divider, I added in notes, separated according to their topics (e.g. Biochemistry in one section of the file, and biodiversity in another). At the end of each topic, I put in some relevant past paper questions.

It's like a big sandwich of work.
Reply 27

In an arch lever file, I had several dividers (pieces of thick paper with a tab on the side). After one divider, I put the specification in, AKA the syllabus. After another divider, I added in notes, separated according to their topics (e.g. Biochemistry in one section of the file, and biodiversity in another). At the end of each topic, I put in some relevant past paper questions.

Thanks! I get it now 😊
Reply 28

Your post was still very helpful for the upcoming yr 12 students :smile:

I'll probably end up sorting out my folder like yours :yy:
Original post by Cherx
Your post was still very helpful for the upcoming yr 12 students :smile:

I'll probably end up sorting out my folder like yours :yy:

You flatter me :biggrin:
Good luck with your folder, and your A levels!
Reply 30
You flatter me :biggrin:
Good luck with your folder, and your A levels!

Haha it's a beautiful layout :P

Thank you! I guess you've finished A-levels now? If so which A-levels did you do?
Original post by Cherx
Haha it's a beautiful layout :P

Thank you! I guess you've finished A-levels now? If so which A-levels did you do?

Unfortunately, I haven't quite finished yet 😂 I've just completed AS biology, chemistry, physics and psychology.

What were your subject choices? :smile:
Reply 32
Unfortunately, I haven't quite finished yet 😂 I've just completed AS biology, chemistry, physics and psychology.

What were your subject choices? :smile:

Biology, Geography, Economics & History. How do you find Biology? And do you know what degree you want to do?
Original post by Cherx
Biology, Geography, Economics & History. How do you find Biology? And do you know what degree you want to do?

Great choices! I've heard that biology and geography are a complementary combination. I guess it's mainly the stuff you learn about ecosystems and the environment.

Biology is awesome! There's quite a lot to learn, but it's all pretty interesting. Also, it's one of few subjects in which you get to dissect stuff.

I still don't know what degree I want to do. I was considering biomedical sciences, but I change my mind every week 😅 Until I'm sure about the course, I won't apply to university.

What are you thinking of studying? You've got a nice range of subjects to choose from with your A levels :wink: and how are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Reply 34
Great choices! I've heard that biology and geography are a complementary combination. I guess it's mainly the stuff you learn about ecosystems and the environment.

Biology is awesome! There's quite a lot to learn, but it's all pretty interesting. Also, it's one of few subjects in which you get to dissect stuff.

I still don't know what degree I want to do. I was considering biomedical sciences, but I change my mind every week 😅 Until I'm sure about the course, I won't apply to university.

What are you thinking of studying? You've got a nice range of subjects to choose from with your A levels :wink: and how are you feeling about GCSE results day?

Tbh I'm still pretty undecided abt my subject choices. I might have to look through the content of some of the subjects just to be certain I want to stick with them for 2 years.

I'm scared about the great deal of info in biology and memorisation needed. I've heard that there's a lot of application questions which are tricky in the exams. All a bit off putting :frown: How did your Bio exam go? If you don't mind me asking..

Just keep researching careers then I guess.. I'm completely undecided as well but I feel like I need to know pretty soon.

Ahhh results day. It's tormenting me lol. I just need to get it over with.
Original post by Cherx
Tbh I'm still pretty undecided abt my subject choices. I might have to look through the content of some of the subjects just to be certain I want to stick with them for 2 years.

I'm scared about the great deal of info in biology and memorisation needed. I've heard that there's a lot of application questions which are tricky in the exams. All a bit off putting :frown: How did your Bio exam go? If you don't mind me asking..

Just keep researching careers then I guess.. I'm completely undecided as well but I feel like I need to know pretty soon.

Ahhh results day. It's tormenting me lol. I just need to get it over with.

It's definitely a good idea to look through the content! Do bare in mind that most people don't love every topic within the subject. I for one hated plant biology, and I'm not sure why, but I've always had a thing against it. 😂

Don't worry too much about the memorisation, the brain is a powerful organ (at least, I think it's an organ...)! Application questions need a bit of practice, but there are tonnes of resources available online and in your textbooks.

That's fine, I got As in my biology exams, and 290/300ums overall :wink:. The grade boundaries were surprisingly low this year for bio.

Careers...ahh! I'm hoping that someday it will just click, and I'll know exactly what I want to do. :s-smilie: They put the pressure on at an early age, don't they!

Gah! I remember that feeling. It will be nice when it's all over, and you can stop thinking about results for a little while. Did you make the most out of your long summer holiday though?
Original post by Huda_medo
Anyone currently studying, or previously studied Bio and Chem at A-level, what do I need to buy and how do I organise folders/binders and notepads, like are lessons expected to be written up on paper/pad or is it based on hand-outs?
And any other tips would be awesome, thanks in advance :biggrin: :smile:

It is up to you. Every person has something different that works for them. I prefer to write in a notebook, but some of my friends prefer labtops and pads. You have to find what's right for you :wink:
I study Biology, Chemistry and Maths (in Year 13 now) and I've put a list of what I'd recommend getting up on my blog here: http://imnotcatherine.blogspot.co.uk...oull-need.html

I've also just put up a how-to for the note-taking technique I use if that sounds useful at all, and I'm going to be doing more study-related stuff on there in the future. It's just way easier to send a link than type it out on all the forums :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending