The Student Room Group

What support is there for you if you are pregnant/a parent when you are at school?

I used to use the student room AGES ago, when doing my GCSE's and A levels - so it's changed a bit since then! So I'm not sure if I'm posting in the best place.

Anyway, I'm doing a bit of research because I feel there isn't enough support for student parents. There is no strong national organisation for university students who are pregnant or have child (I'm one of them!). But what about A levels and GCSE students? Does anyone have any experience of a baby at school? What help did you receive?

I want to campaign for more help for student parents. It's not right that students should be resorting to help on forums (even though it's good help!), they should be able to have access to an organisation - via email, phone, in person, whatever.

Anyway, let me know your experiences - or even if one of these exist! From the discovery of my pregnancy over a year ago, to my 6 month old now, I still haven't found any substantial internet present dedicate to student parents!!
Wouldn't the money be best spent PREVENTING pregnancies in students who are doing their GCSE/A levels?!
Reply 2
Original post by Scienceisgood
Wouldn't the money be best spent PREVENTING pregnancies in students who are doing their GCSE/A levels?!

And then what, abandon those who slip through the net and try to better themselves by getting back into education? :rolleyes:

Sex education is already taught at KS3, and though admittedly it could be taught a hell of a lot better, it doesn't mean we shouldn't support those who make the very responsible and difficult decision to return to education with young children.

All the money in the world won't stop some pregnancies. Students can study with babies and there are lots of benefits for doing so.

Original post by Damask-
And then what, abandon those who slip through the net and try to better themselves by getting back into education? :rolleyes:

Sex education is already taught at KS3, and though admittedly it could be taught a hell of a lot better, it doesn't mean we shouldn't support those who make the very responsible and difficult decision to return to education with young children.

Thanks for backing me up! :smile:
Reply 4
If there were support campaigns for pregnant teens, I think it would probably provoke even more teenage pregnancies by making teens think that it's ok to get pregnant during GCSEs, when it's obviously not.
The legal age for consent is 16, which, not coincidentally, is the same age you have to be if you want to drop out of school.
As awful as this might sound, money should be spent on prevention campaigns, not support campaigns, because if a 14 year old falls pregnant, how are they going to cope with school at the same time, when they're legally not allowed to drop out until they're 16?
Laws regarding the legal age for sexual consent and the age at which teens can drop out of school are there for a reason.
Original post by Petulia
If there were support campaigns for pregnant teens, I think it would probably provoke even more teenage pregnancies by making teens think that it's ok to get pregnant during GCSEs, when it's obviously not.
The legal age for consent is 16, which, not coincidentally, is the same age you have to be if you want to drop out of school.
As awful as this might sound, money should be spent on prevention campaigns, not support campaigns, because if a 14 year old falls pregnant, how are they going to cope with school at the same time, when they're legally not allowed to drop out until they're 16?
Laws regarding the legal age for sexual consent and the age at which teens can drop out of school are there for a reason.

So a student who becomes pregnant shouldn't receive any help in their education? But yet you'll then punish them later on in life for being uneducated when they are unemployed?

I don't want a national campaign in the media saying carry on with your studies if you get pregnant. I want an organisation that is on the first page of google search, so that when a girl takes a pregnancy test and thinks "damm my GCSE's are next year and I'm pregnant" that they know they can still take their GCSE's and carry onto A levels, and etc. I want that organisation to be able to follow that girl throughout her studies, helping her at every step of the way, whether it's filling out financial support grants (which are so so confusing!) or arranging where she can express milk during an exam.
Original post by Damask-

Not really.
What I am about to say may cause a slight uproar but, I think sex education and safe sex should be made more public knowledge.

Hell, if you were to send out a number of surveys to 14-15 year olds, how many would know where to get condoms from in their local area?

Yes, support should be given but, you are trying to prevent pregnancies, not encourage them by supporting what they chose to do. The following should be done if anything;

1. Vouchers (Food, nappies etc...)
2. Support classes
3. Discounts at certain book shops

etc...

Not money.
Not really.
What I am about to say may cause a slight uproar but, I think sex education and safe sex should be made more public knowledge.

Hell, if you were to send out a number of surveys to 14-15 year olds, how many would know where to get condoms from in their local area?

Yes, support should be given but, you are trying to prevent pregnancies, not encourage them by supporting what they chose to do. The following should be done if anything;

2. Support classes

etc...

Not money.

I'm not saying giving CASH to them. I'm saying a charity/organisation for ADVICE.

Anyway, I've realised I posted in the 'debate' section. I wasn't looking for a debate. I was looking for someone with experience on this matter.
Reply 8
Original post by Petulia

Not in England anymore, since about three years ago.

I think there is definitely a need for better sex education in schools but if a repeatedly abusive kid who has been sent from school to school and then to referral units can be supported continually and given help and guidance throughout that whole process while causing nothing but disrupt and harm to other pupils, why can't a few 17 year-olds with babies who have never harmed anyone's education but their own be given a few hours a week to talk to someone about the challenges they're facing?

Your argument is short-sighted and ultimately wouldn't keep any more kids in education/training, which is the goal.
Reply 9
Not really.

2. Support classes

etc...

Not money.

I agree they shouldn't get cash. I also agree we need better sex ed, but the rest of your argument boils down to the equivalent of "pensions just encourage people to retire" which is pretty stupid.
Reply 10
I think unless their parents (or someone else) looks after the baby, teenage mothers are usually sent to Pupil Referral Units (where they can get fewer hours of education so can spend more time with their baby). I imagine their school gives them advice and arranges the referral for them...
PRU provision is probably not as good as mainstream though because all kinds of un-schoolable kids are sent there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending