The Student Room Group

Driving anxiety

Hello TSR

Has anyone else experienced anxiety while driving? I have held my licence for 3 years and only driven a few times with some refresher lessons but the anxiety is still present and it's also causing a hindrance in other factors in life.

Appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hi there, I'm a pretty nervous driver to be honest (which I suppose would be expected seeing as I only passed my test a couple of months ago), but I think that I'm just a naturally nervous driver in that I just can't relax and be confident with driving. This may not be as severe as your driving anxiety, however I'll tell you a couple of things which I thought of whilst driving which helped me, I don't know if they would help you or not, but I may as well try! Ok, so if I was sitting driving in the car or even thinking about driving I would just say to myself 'just think of all the millions of people right now driving without a care in the world, if they can do it, why the hell can't I?'. I also tried to imagine myself talking to someone who had no clue about how to drive and just thinking about how I would sort of simplify it to them and think of what I'd say to them to reassure them, and just apply that advice to my situation. l also believe that it may not be a 'practice driving more' thing with you, as it may not be your driving ability but your mental perception of driving, so just really try to stay calm and composed. Hope this helps in some way!
Reply 2
Original post by Singh89
Hello TSR

Has anyone else experienced anxiety while driving? I have held my licence for 3 years and only driven a few times with some refresher lessons but the anxiety is still present and it's also causing a hindrance in other factors in life.

Appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not surprised you're nervous, after all you're hardly experienced. It's human nature, everyone is nervous when it comes to doing something new, or something you haven't done for a while. I suggest you keep driving and over time the anxiety and pressures of driving will become natural and you'll get used to it.

Also, do simple things like open the window, drink water etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending