The Student Room Group

Classical Studies?

So for a while now I've intended on applying to university to study Italian. But now I'm not 100% sure. I partly want to do it because I'm obsessed with Italy and felt it would be the best way to learn the language. Now I'm leaning more towards Classical studies or Ancient History. I still get Italian into my course, just more the history, which I LOVE. Plus I adore ancient Rome, and even more, Pompeii. And the degree is only three years as opposed to the four year Italian course, so that would save me a ton of money (I'm international). Can anyone give me more insight into what's behind a classical studies degree?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Coffeetime
So for a while now I've intended on applying to university to study Italian. But now I'm not 100% sure. I partly want to do it because I'm obsessed with Italy and felt it would be the best way to learn the language. Now I'm leaning more towards Classical studies or Ancient History. I still get Italian into my course, just more the history, which I LOVE. Plus I adore ancient Rome, and even more, Pompeii. And the degree is only three years as opposed to the four year Italian course, so that would save me a ton of money (I'm international). Can anyone give me more insight into what's behind a classical studies degree?

I personally didn't do either but I lived with a Classicist for two years during my undergrad. She went into it in quite a lot of details so I'll mention what I remember:

One of the main differences, at least at some Universities is that you study from translated sources (for both History and Literature) instead of in their original language. As a result, many Universities that offer Classical Studies don't require the applicant to take up an Ancient Language.

Here is a good description: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/classics/prospective/ug/classicalstudies/

She also said that Classical Studies is a great introduction to the Ancient World, and to get an overview. She often compared it to a liberal arts take on the Classical World.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending