The Student Room Group

How much weight? - female

Hi everyone

I've been squatting over the last week or so (not much.. just trynna get the hang of it)

I want my backside to look more lifted, a bubble butt if you may..

However I'm confused, how much am I meant to 'lift'? I have dumbbells, and not the rod thing (I think picking that up is called a dead lift?)

I read somewhere that if you want to gain muscle around your thighs and butt you should lift heavy weights. How heavy is heavy though? I completed 8 reps of 7kg which is 15.4 pounds and though I felt tired doing it, three minutes later I was as hyper and jumpy as a squirrel (back to normal)

Where is theez burn I am meant to be feeling? :hat:

How much weight should I be taking up then? More reps, or more weight?
Reply 1
Original post by randompersonhere
Hi everyone

I've been squatting over the last week or so (not much.. just trynna get the hang of it)

However I'm confused, how much am I meant to 'lift'? I have dumbbells, and not the rod thing (I think picking that up is called a dead lift?)

I read somewhere that if you want to gain muscle around your thighs and butt you should lift heavy weights. How heavy is heavy though? I completed 8 reps of 7kg which is 15.4 pounds and though I felt tired doing it, three minutes later I was as hyper and jumpy as a squirrel (back to normal)

More weight, 7kg is nothing you should start doing 20kg
Original post by ubi1
More weight, 7kg is nothing you should start doing 20kg

Oh my god, that sounds like a lot..
Hi everyone

Increase it. Try to lift at least 15 kg daily. 7 kg is very less for you, it won't work a lot.
Yep 7kg is nothing. Are you doing this at home or at a gym? A gym with a proper squat rack would be more benificial. (The rod thing is a barbell. :P)

Just to give you a rough idea of what you can do, Im a 7 stone female - not very strong at all - and can squat 25kg and deadlift 45kg at the moment. Start with 15kg if its comfortable with squats and work your way up from there. Same with deads, use a weight you feel comfortable with and your way work up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone

It's called a barbell fyi :smile:

You should join a gym and do a decent beginners programme some half decent ones are outlined here

Other people have done things like Stronglifts 5x5 and ICF 5x5

Make sure your form is good, there's lots of instructional videos online of how to do the different movements.

Get enough protein 1-1.5g per kg of bodyweight is sufficient, depending on your body fat % you should eat a calorific surplus if you want to gain weight (and muscle much quicker and easier) or a calorific deficit to lose it (500 calories on your Total Daily Energy Expenditure is sufficient - there's online calculators for this, MyFitnessPal is good for calorie counting)
My bootys 39.5 inches kim ks is like 40 lol and I'm 16
Start off squatting with just a barbell (no weight on the end) then gradually add once your form is PERFECT. I can squat 60KG (just) but it took a longggg time to get there so don't rush, add to the bar gradually. You'll get your results xx
The general principle is that the final rep should be barely doable. If you could potentially do one more rep, or half a one more, then the weight needs to be increased slightly.

I follow a 5x5 routine, so I do 5 reps for 5 sets with about 2-3 minutes in between each set. If you're happy doing 8 reps, that's fine. Try to do 3 sets of those with a small break in between. Just 8 by itself will not be enough, you need to keep the pressure on to force muscle growth.

If 7kg is all you can do, that's all that you can do. But you will become stronger if you try to up the weight. Sometimes I just force myself to try as much weight as I can (Note: Be sensible. Don't jump to 120kg because you think it might be amusing. Just work up the numbers). Gradually increase the weight as you get stronger, and keep the trend running. You will only become as strong as the weight you lift. If you stick with 7kg, your body will adapt to just lift 7kg. If you increase the weight, you'll force your body to become stronger to compensate. I think a lot of people underestimate how much they can actually lift, but don't be crazy as you will injure yourself.

Make sure your diet is adequate to promote muscle growth and repair. Generally, protein.
Original post by Ariana Grande
My bootys 39.5 inches kim ks is like 40 lol and I'm 16

Doesnt she have major ass implants though??
Squats are meant to tone up. They are NOT meant to make your butt grow big, many fitness experts say this but do you see them with a big booty? No.
Try taking advice from someone who actually has the asset
I can tell you one person who is in the fitness industry and has a big booty she currently makes videos on youtube mainly relating to body and booty.
Her name:- Buffie the Body youtube.com/bootynomics
Squats are meant to tone up. They are NOT meant to make your butt grow big, many fitness experts say this but do you see them with a big booty? No.
I can tell you one person who is in the fitness industry and has a big booty she currently makes videos on youtube mainly relating to body and booty.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Wow just..... Wow.

Anyway op. 7kg isn't enough. Holding dumbells will never be enough because you won't be able to hold enough weight. A bar on your back doesn't feel as heavy. Most gyms have small ready made barbells starting at 10kg. Try those to start with. Once you get to about 20kg you might find it hard to lift it over your head so this is when you need to use the squat rack.

You can also do other exercises such as deadlifts, single leg squats, hip thrusts, lunges... And a lot more to build glutes. It won't happen overnight though, if you're not prone to gaining weight in that area you'll never have a bum like nicki minaj.. But building muscle will definitely lift it and make it rounder.
There's nothing to say what weight is or isn't right for you - there's no point having 20kg on the weights if you can't lift them; that's not going to do anything.

You should comfortably be able to lift the first few reps, find it difficult in the middle, and find it almost (but not completely) impossible at the end. When you stop finding the end of your reps difficult, increase a little. You may find that you can't quite manage 8 reps when you first increase the weight, but it shouldn't take you long to make it happen.

When I first started lifting I (quite genuinely) could hardly even lift 6kg without feeling very tired, but building it up is worth it. It takes a little time to get up to higher weights, but you will get there with a bit of perseverance.

Quick Reply

Latest