The Student Room Group

how many reps do you go up in each exercise every workout?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Angry cucumber
Doob isn't helping our discussion lol. I'm ignoring him as I chat with you.

Blood into muscles means nothing, jogging pumps blood into the muscle etc. Gaining muscle is "damaging" muscle fibres and their hypertophy is response.

The powerlifting variant of the squat and bench are indeed to move more weight, but again you ain't seeing big numbers being moved with poor quads due the increased hamstring involvement in the low bar squat or a poor chest due to more shoulder and tricep in the powerlifting style of bench etc.

The difference in physique is "balancing" their physique, often bf% etc. That said any good bodybuilder will be strong and probably not dissimilarly strong to a powerlifter of a similar size.

TUT - you need TUT but 4 sec negatives etc is useless in a context with no progressive overload. You need progressive overload no matter what your goal is.

I agree with certain aspects of that, can we conclude a varied workout with strength and TUT should be incorporated for maximal growth and strength.

Not to much focus on the numbers all the time. I can remember once a lad trying to max out on our leg extension machine at 15 pins, I personally do 6 and its really heavy for me with a 300kg deadlift.

I asked him why he is doing that, he responded i always need to increase my number and reps. No leg extensions is an accessory exercise to squats then hack squats.

As for TUT doesn't work why do powerlifter do negative squat really slow then pause and explode out of the hole.

I would like state two friend of mine, one a mens fitness model and the other a under 83kg powerlifter. there compassion in there size and strength is not existent. Bodybuilder looked liked he was the one who could deadlift 300kg and not the powerlifter. the elite fitness model would struggle with 150kg.

BB is appearing strong and not been strong.
Original post by AMG44
I agree with certain aspects of that, can we conclude a varied workout with strength and TUT should be incorporated for maximal growth and strength.

Agreed, yes

Not to much focus on the numbers all the time. I can remember once a lad trying to max out on our leg extension machine at 15 pins, I personally do 6 and its really heavy for me with a 300kg deadlift.

I remember you saying this before.. strong deadlift!

Yes, TUT has a purpose hence accessory works, it's means more TUT + progressive overload = more gains

However please don't do the leg extension machine.. I currently have a torn meniscus from it and they are widely taken as dangerous.... and hence I can do no lower body work.. not good!

I asked him why he is doing that, he responded i always need to increase my number and reps. No leg extensions is an accessory exercise to squats then hack squats.

As for TUT doesn't work why do powerlifter do negative squat really slow then pause and explode out of the hole.

Slow negatives depends on preference, some guys pretty much divebomb. Also easier to control the weight for many.
If using a suit - slow negative is often used to "load" the suit.

I would like state two friend of mine, one a mens fitness model and the other a under 83kg powerlifter. there compassion in there size and strength is not existent. Bodybuilder looked liked he was the one who could deadlift 300kg and not the powerlifter. the elite fitness model would struggle with 150kg.

Yes agreed, strength has a neural efficiency component as well as musculature.

I think we pretty much agree on everything tbh
I stopped reading halfway through as the discussion went on a bit of a tangent and my input wont make a difference.

As others have said you need more weight and / or a gym membership, an alternative will be to get a backpack, dufflebag or gymbag and load it with gravel and plates if you wish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by AMG44

You give no credible scientific evidence and come to your own conclusions

Powerlifters do slow negative squats when they are using suits mainly to engage the stretch reflex, why would you want to bomb down with 800lbs on your back?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doob
god you lot are a bunch of idiots, you give no credible scientific evidence and come to your own dumbass conclussions

You're denying that you don't need TUT? Ok.. Go do 1rm only work and see how good your gainz are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
You're denying that you don't need TUT? Ok.. Go do 1rm only work and see how good your gainz are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

by your same logic training in the 20+ rep range would be good for gains, clearly though this is not the case
Original post by Doob
by your same logic training in the 20+ rep range would be good for gains, clearly though this is not the case

>Doesn't lift more than 75kg in anything
>Has biggest opinion on the forum

lol
Original post by Doob

>Ignores all my previous points
>Misunderstands video
>Has no clue
>Attempts to debunk my point
>Has a ridiculous routine

Enjoying the miscing of the miscer.. You mad?
Lol

Time under tension is required... Hence 1rm wont do anything. Only until a point where the adaptation from the set will actually do something and not be cardio

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by illusionz
>Doesn't lift more than 75kg in anything
>Has biggest opinion on the forum

lol

>Ignores all my previous points
>Misunderstands video
>Has no clue
>Attempts to debunk my point
>Has a ridiculous routine

Enjoying the miscing of the miscer.. You mad?
Lol

Time under tension is required... Hence 1rm wont do anything. Only until a point where the adaptation from the set will actually do something and not be cardio

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's the type of person who has just started training, weak as pansy and is gagging to have a load of Jason Blaha's love juice in his mouth.

I guarantee this time next year he will still be weak, and will still look crap.

Leave him to it while you go and make your deserved gains.
Reply 49
Original post by commandant
He's the type of person who has just started training, weak as pansy and is gagging to have a load of Jason Blaha's love juice in his mouth.

I guarantee this time next year he will still be weak, and will still look crap.

Leave him to it while you go and make your deserved gains.

lol, im already average strength for compounds at the moment apart squat and deadlift because i cant do them, im almost a year ahead of people i know who go to the gym, despite the fact i started off at 119lbs

in a years time i will be above average for sure and have my 'deserved' gains
(edited 9 years ago)
what do you class as average strength?

edit: 44kg barbell row for 5x5, is that what you consider average? My 5'1 other half could do that for 10.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 51
what do you class as average strength?

edit: 44kg barbell row for 5x5, is that what you consider average? My 5'1 other half could do that for 10.

people i know with a far better starting base and genetics are benching 50-55KG after a year of training, im doing 48KG after 10 months, i started at 18KG, i could have done far better if i didnt decide to do some retarded bro-split for the first 9 months and do a 5x5 from the beginning.

i could easily be doing compoounds for my bodyweight, apart from military presses, if i began with a 5x5
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doob
people i know with a far better starting base and genetics are benching 50-55KG after a year of training

wat

pls

das not it
Reply 53
wat

pls

das not it

srs, i dont know what the **** they do in the gym
these are average looking people
Original post by Doob
srs, i dont know what the **** they do in the gym
these are average looking people

they're not training, that's for sure.

Honestly, your lifts are barely better than untrained and still far below average. Keep lifting and try not to be a dick on lifting forums.
Reply 55
they're not training, that's for sure.

Honestly, your lifts are barely better than untrained and still far below average. Keep lifting and try not to be a dick on lifting forums.

they arent far below average, ive already told you what the average gym goers lifts are at my age, these are fairly athletic people who play competive football and basketball etc...

since when was benching and rowing your bodyweight meant to be average?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doob
they arent far below average, ive already told you what the average gym goers lifts are at my age, these are fairly athletic people who play competive football and basketball etc...

since when was benching and rowing your bodyweight meant to be average?

The average gym goer status within the 10-12 rep range so are obviously going to be lifting less...

Just keep adding weight to the bar

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd put average strength at 100 bench, 140 squat and 180 deadlift.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58

Posted from TSR Mobile

if these stats are in KG, you are a ****ing idiot, no two ways about that
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Average for what though? Someone who has lifted for 1,2 or 3 years? Or just average in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply