The Student Room Group

Would it be realistic for me to apply to medicine?

I really want to do medicine
I have had 2 surgeries in the past and have a heart condition, two family members have had cancer one of which died from it, my friend had cancer, i've been in a OBGYN's office many times with my sister who has kids and lots of other illnesses/conditions have run in my family which meant i spent alot of my time in a hospital which is what inspired me to become a doctor.
due to medical conditions i was absent alot of my GCSE year's so I had to teach myself alot of the subjects and came out with 7B's 3A's 1C. the same happened this year with AS exams i had another surgery this year too due to which i was away alot of the times and i think my attendance was below 85% by ALOT; my predicted grades were BBBB but i think in one subject i've done really bad and will probably get like a D or worse. though in my sciences i think i may have passed.
I have work experience at a GP of 3 days and i am part of RfE, WAMS and Next Step York and have been to lots of medicine related days organinsed by these people so i know medicine is definately what i want to do. i have other skills that are needed aswell from other things that i have done such as baby-sitting, charity work, voluntering to help with events at school, helping at a tuition centre with year 5 kids, and a week of work placement at a school (to decide whether i wanted to do med or teaching)
I may also be able to arrange a hospital placement though that will be a week long at the maximum.

because of the medical condition I think i'll be able to resit some of my modules after which I know i'll be able to get A*-B overall because ive learnt my lesson of the extra work i should be putting in.
there is a university with BCC offer which I qualify for and through access to leeds (definate place on this due to being part of RfE) i would be able to get a ABB offer if i get an offer

Is it realistic for me to apply for medicine?
Reply 1
BCC offer for medicine? Are you sure?

If you can get an offer with ABB and you think you can get the grades, then of course!
Original post by 1D - Belieber
I really want to do medicine
I have had 2 surgeries in the past and have a heart condition, two family members have had cancer one of which died from it, my friend had cancer, i've been in a OBGYN's office many times with my sister who has kids and lots of other illnesses/conditions have run in my family which meant i spent alot of my time in a hospital which is what inspired me to become a doctor.
due to medical conditions i was absent alot of my GCSE year's so I had to teach myself alot of the subjects and came out with 7B's 3A's 1C. the same happened this year with AS exams i had another surgery this year too due to which i was away alot of the times and i think my attendance was below 85% by ALOT; my predicted grades were BBBB but i think in one subject i've done really bad and will probably get like a D or worse. though in my sciences i think i may have passed.
I have work experience at a GP of 3 days and i am part of RfE, WAMS and Next Step York and have been to lots of medicine related days organinsed by these people so i know medicine is definately what i want to do. i have other skills that are needed aswell from other things that i have done such as baby-sitting, charity work, voluntering to help with events at school, helping at a tuition centre with year 5 kids, and a week of work placement at a school (to decide whether i wanted to do med or teaching)
I may also be able to arrange a hospital placement though that will be a week long at the maximum.

because of the medical condition I think i'll be able to resit some of my modules after which I know i'll be able to get A*-B overall because ive learnt my lesson of the extra work i should be putting in.
there is a university with BCC offer which I qualify for and through access to leeds (definate place on this due to being part of RfE) i would be able to get a ABB offer if i get an offer

Is it realistic for me to apply for medicine?

Is the BCC a widening participation course? Because there are a lot of them out there now which are worth looking into. I'd say go for it. Worst case is it doesn't work out but at least you tried.

Original post by lamyers1
BCC offer for medicine? Are you sure?

If you can get an offer with ABB and you think you can get the grades, then of course!

Southampton have a BBC requirement Medicine course :yes:, so BCC doesn't seem too far off :biggrin:
Reply 3
Not with that username :wink:
Reply 4
[QUOTE=Neostigmine;48849511
Southampton have a BBC requirement Medicine course :yes:, so BCC doesn't seem too far off :biggrin:

No they don't, it's AAA...
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm5_a100.page?#entry

I don't think any course for medicine is below this, although they may accept you with AAB if they really like you and you had an offer...

Even their biomedical science degree is AAB, so I don't know what you were looking at.
Places which require lower than AAB grades are conversion courses, which are usually for students who are not studying sciences at A Level. If you are already studying biology and chemistry and cannot achieve A grades in them then chances are unfortunately very slim.
Reply 6
Original post by Lollyage
Places which require lower than AAB grades are conversion courses, which are usually for students who are not studying sciences at A Level. If you are already studying biology and chemistry and cannot achieve A grades in them then chances are unfortunately very slim.

Conversion courses are for when you have finished a different degree, so not applicable in this case.

Foundation courses are 6 years and usually still require AAA/AAB, but there are some lower. I have seen a few that go down to BBC, but those offers are reserved for people who come from an underprivileged background, such as on benefits or if the child is in care. You generally have to meet at least 2 criteria for this.
Original post by Lollyage

Not the decent ones. :nah:. Southampton BM6 - 6 year medicine programme - requires BBC and Bio&Chem :smile: a someone has mentioned there are usually financial requirements but a lot of people meet usually meet one or two anyway. Things like child tax credits, first gen to university etc.
Reply 8
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm5_a100.page?#entry

I don't think any course for medicine is below this, although they may accept you with AAB if they really like you and you had an offer...

Even their biomedical science degree is AAB, so I don't know what you were looking at.

actually several universities have widening access programmes that allow for people to enter medicine with less than AAA and sometimes even BBC such as southampton
Reply 9
Original post by LCM2
actually several universities have widening access programmes that allow for people to enter medicine with less than AAA and sometimes even BBC such as southampton

Yes, foundation courses, as i mentioned in a previous post.

Err... Yes, yes they do: BM6
I did it... and am at Southampton now. No need to link me to their requirements, I work with the admissions team a lot and know it all by heart anyway.

They ALSO have an AAAa (not AAA as you said) 5 year course.

They ALSO have a 4 year grad entry course with it's own requirements.

Just because it is widening participation doesn't make it any less "Medicine". Some courses do it differently I appreciate that, but here it is just a 6 year course with BMBS BMedSci at the end.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Neostigmine
Err... Yes, yes they do: BM6
I did it... and am at Southampton now. No need to link me to their requirements, I work with the admissions team a lot and know it all by heart anyway.

They ALSO have an AAAa (not AAA as you said) 5 year course.

They ALSO have a 4 year grad entry course with it's own requirements.

Just because it is widening participation doesn't make it any less "Medicine". Some courses do it differently I appreciate that, but here it is just a 6 year course with BMBS BMedSci at the end.

As I said in previous comments, yes I am aware of that, it's the foundation course. I thought the 5 year course was what was being discussed.

I also never said that it was any less medicine. It just has different requirements for people to get in, like having gone to a poorly performing school and have parents on benefits which make them less likely to be able to achieve the grades through their own merit.
As I said in previous comments, yes I am aware of that, it's the foundation course. I thought the 5 year course was what was being discussed.

I also never said that it was any less medicine. It just has different requirements for people to get in, like having gone to a poorly performing school and have parents on benefits which make them less likely to be able to achieve the grades through their own merit.

Sorry. It's just when I said "Southampton have a BBC requirement medicine course" and you said "no they don't" it kind of came across as you saying that there wasn't a course at Southampton that has BBC entry requirements for medicine. My bad :-P

Again, I know all about the course having done it! Unfortunately your schools performance no longer applies as a qualifying factor.
I would look at foundation year courses and extreme circumstances. Email the uninversities you like and ask what they'd be willing to drop the requirements to, although they usually don't go below ABB or BBB, it's worth a try.

Unfortunately, medicine is really competative, and even people with AAA or A*AA don't get in. so I would maybe go for another course and do graduate entry medicine?
PS for southamptom to apply for BM you must satisfy three of the eligibility criteria listed below and you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

first generation applicant to higher education

parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit

young people looked after by a Local Authority

in receipt of a 16-19 bursary or similar grant

in receipt of free school meals in Years 10-13

living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending