The Student Room Group

NHS worker suspended for 9 months for giving a Christian Novel to a Muslim co-worker

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10933206/NHS-worker-who-bullied-Muslim-by-praying-for-her.html

Senior managers told Miss Wasteney that it was inappropriate to invite the woman to a community sports day organised by her church.

The complaints led to Miss Wasteney being suspended on full pay for nine months.

Three charges were upheld against the 37-year-old Christian at an internal disciplinary hearing in February and five charges were found to be unsubstantiated. She had to accept a final written warning at work which will remain on her records for 12 months, as well as accept a range of other requirements designed to stop her discussing her faith and beliefs with colleagues.

The young Muslim woman was appointed as a newly qualified occupational therapist in a team of 30 managed by Miss Wasteney at East London NHS Foundation Trust.

Over a period of time, Miss Wasteney said she invited her colleague to several church-organised events and thought no more about it. Later, when the woman was due to go off work for hospital treatment, Miss Wasteney gave her a book to read during her recuperation.

“A friend had recommended it to me, a book called I Dared to Call Him Father. I hadn’t read it. I still haven’t. But it is a story about a Muslim woman who converts to Christianity.

A disciplinary hearing at her work in February found her guilty of three charges of misconduct praying with the colleague, giving her the book and inviting her to church events.

Are Middle-Class people becoming a bunch of cultural supremacist fascists lool. I find it perculiar that the middle-class who trump all cultures have a problem with one Christian woman mingling with a Muslim woman on the basis of faith :confused: isn't diversity about everybody, mixing and sharing? :/
(edited 9 years ago)
I guess in the interests of having a neutral workplace, I can understand why people shouldn't give out a religious book. However, being suspended for 9 months is a complete overreaction IMO.
what a ridiculous reason for suspension, that is if everything the telegraph has written is actually the reason
Wow, a suspension is a little excessive, given those were the only circumstances.
Over the top, I agree, unless she was actually bullying and harassing her with books and leaflets such as the one that said "Muslim woman converts to Christianity" then she deserves the suspension. I'm guessing there are rules about religion and the workplace. Personally, as a Muslim woman, I see no harm in what she did but people are different and the woman probably didn't feel comfortable hence the complaints.. a verbal warning should have been sufficient though.
Plot twist: this is engineered to give the woman 9 months paid holiday.
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Plot twist: this is engineered to give the woman 9 months paid holiday.

loool
Original post by SophiaLDN
Over the top, I agree, unless she was actually bullying and harassing her with books and leaflets such as the one that said "Muslim woman converts to Christianity" then she deserves the suspension. I'm guessing there are rules about religion and the workplace. Personally, as a Muslim woman, I see no harm in what she did but people are different and the woman probably didn't feel comfortable hence the complaints.. a verbal warning should have been sufficient though.

That's the problem really, you aren't helping. 'Harassing her with books and leaflets' :K:.
We don't know the whole ins and out of the story yet. But if she only gave a book and tried to talk about an alternative religion for the women, that shouldn't be harassment.
Original post by CryptoidAlien
That's the problem really, you aren't helping. 'Harassing her with books and leaflets' :K:.

How so? Yes, you can harass someone with books and leaflets. Just like you can harass someone with tweets or words. What don't you understand? I said given what was in the article, there was no problem but if she was actually bullying and harassing her (outside of what was reported in the article) then yes.
Hmm from a neutral standpoint (Dat Atheism), I can imagine it would be a tad offensive for the Muslim women to be given a novel about how a Muslim converts to Christianity. I mean many people wouldn't be bothered, but some would. Also with inviting her to several Church functions on top of it, the Muslim worker may have believed her boss was attempting to put pressure on her due to her religious beliefs. I mean it's totally blown out of proportion of course, but I get where the issue could arise from.
Original post by joey11223
Hmm from a neutral standpoint (Dat Atheism), I can imagine it would be a tad offensive for the Muslim women to be given a novel about how a Muslim converts to Christianity. I mean many people wouldn't be bothered, but some would. Also with inviting her to several Church functions on top of it, the Muslim worker may have believed her boss was attempting to put pressure on her due to her religious beliefs. I mean it's totally blown out of proportion of course, but I get where the issue could arise from.

Same way bosses put on the pressure to hire people of certain backgrounds eh.
I wouldn't mind getting suspended for 9 months with full pay **** me that sounds like a dream come true.
Yeah, it's ludicrously inappropriate to repeatedly try and convert your colleagues. Repeatedly inviting a Muslim colleague to Christian events after she says no, trying to pray with her/actually saying she is praying for her to convert, and giving her a book that's explicitly about a Muslim woman converting to Christianity. This is not suitable in the workplace, hell, it's not suitable in any place after the first "no thanks".
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending