The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Extended Science 2015

Hi is anyone going to apply for Extended Science starting in 2015? Also is anyone currently studying it?
I really want to study conservation biology afterward and was told to study extended science first.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi :smile: I've just finished studying Extended Science... is there anything you want to know specifically?
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Original post by Swiftie_
Hi :smile: I've just finished studying Extended Science... is there anything you want to know specifically?

Hi is it easy to get onto? Im 23 and just have my gcses. Also what are the exams like? How do you write your personal statement if you need to apply for Extended Science first?
Thank you
Reply 3
Hi, admissions wise you'd be best to contact the uni themselves for the course. They're a pretty helpful bunch :smile: I didn't apply to do the course originally, though I know people who did and as far as I know, they applied through UCAS and wrote a personal statement like anyone else applying to any course. If you speak to admissions they can clarify entry etc for you though.
The exams really aren't that bad! During the first term there were no exams, only lab reports and a couple of tests which were all multiple choice and short answer questions. The maths module also required you to do online tests but you get multiple attempts to pass those!
The second term was similar, once again there were lab reports and tests. Statistics is also introduced so you have online tests for that as well as for maths.
Third term is when you sit the official exams. The exams cover topics from modules taught in the second term and as with any exam you just have to revise. They are a similar layout to the tests with multiple choice and short answer questions. Unlike GCSE's and A Levels, they give you plenty of time to complete the paper. For example, they usually have a two hour slot for an exam, yet many of us were done in the hour and then allowed to leave. You're also not completely alone when it comes to revision. Many of us grouped together so revision session and there is also other support available like tutorials to go to. :smile:
Original post by Swiftie_
Hi, admissions wise you'd be best to contact the uni themselves for the course. They're a pretty helpful bunch :smile: I didn't apply to do the course originally, though I know people who did and as far as I know, they applied through UCAS and wrote a personal statement like anyone else applying to any course. If you speak to admissions they can clarify entry etc for you though.
The exams really aren't that bad! During the first term there were no exams, only lab reports and a couple of tests which were all multiple choice and short answer questions. The maths module also required you to do online tests but you get multiple attempts to pass those!
The second term was similar, once again there were lab reports and tests. Statistics is also introduced so you have online tests for that as well as for maths.
Third term is when you sit the official exams. The exams cover topics from modules taught in the second term and as with any exam you just have to revise. They are a similar layout to the tests with multiple choice and short answer questions. Unlike GCSE's and A Levels, they give you plenty of time to complete the paper. For example, they usually have a two hour slot for an exam, yet many of us were done in the hour and then allowed to leave. You're also not completely alone when it comes to revision. Many of us grouped together so revision session and there is also other support available like tutorials to go to. :smile:

Thats great thank you
Reply 5
Hi, I've applied for this September's extended science and want to move on to environmental science afterwords. If it helps I just did my personal statement like I was applying for the environmental science degree and not extended science :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KeyBag
Hi, I've applied for this September's extended science and want to move on to environmental science afterwords. If it helps I just did my personal statement like I was applying for the environmental science degree and not extended science :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh great thanks. I was getting so confused because I have to do the extended science but I want to study conservation biology afterwards.
Reply 7
Original post by missctaylor91
Oh great thanks. I was getting so confused because I have to do the extended science but I want to study conservation biology afterwards.

You're welcome, I was confused when I was doing mine to haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I have just been accepted for the extended science year 0 at plymouth Uni for 2014 to 2015 :smile:
I applied as a mature student with just GCSE and had an interview. Im not looking to do Conservation Biology after but the man that interviewed me was talking about progression onto that degree and in his opinion it has more employablitiy than marine biology. So just say thats what you want to do!
The course is designed for people who have no scientific grades or background to enable them to progress onto a BSc.
Original post by Soxtrot
I have just been accepted for the extended science year 0 at plymouth Uni for 2014 to 2015 :smile:
I applied as a mature student with just GCSE and had an interview. Im not looking to do Conservation Biology after but the man that interviewed me was talking about progression onto that degree and in his opinion it has more employablitiy than marine biology. So just say thats what you want to do!
The course is designed for people who have no scientific grades or background to enable them to progress onto a BSc.

Thats great thank you. What was the interview like and who was it with?
Reply 10
I had a man called Dave interview me I think, he was filling in for the normal guy that does it as he was away.
i over panicked about the interview, it was more of a fun/informal chat where they decide if you will progress onto a BSc. If you get an interview then relax, it was not scary, they where really helpful, I even got a wee tour of the campus.
just asked what degree i wanted to do, where i would progress and did i understand what was expected with regards to my attendance and commitment. :smile:
Original post by Soxtrot
I had a man called Dave interview me I think, he was filling in for the normal guy that does it as he was away.
i over panicked about the interview, it was more of a fun/informal chat where they decide if you will progress onto a BSc. If you get an interview then relax, it was not scary, they where really helpful, I even got a wee tour of the campus.
just asked what degree i wanted to do, where i would progress and did i understand what was expected with regards to my attendance and commitment. :smile:

Thank you. Dod they say yes or no on ucas first?
Reply 12
Original post by missctaylor91
Thank you. Dod they say yes or no on ucas first?

They told me then and there that i would get a place and ucas updated about a week later. :smile:
Original post by Soxtrot
They told me then and there that i would get a place and ucas updated about a week later. :smile:

Thats great thank you
Reply 14
Hey I am going to be starting that course next year as a mature student too im going on to do animal behaviour and welfare after
:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
I'll be studying Extended Science in September as well! Hopefully progressing onto Applied Geology..
Original post by Lauraaa95
I'll be studying Extended Science in September as well! Hopefully progressing onto Applied Geology..

Hi!
Is anybody going to the applicant day on 28th of March?
I am! ☺️
Also do you intergrate into a different degree after a year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending