The Student Room Group

Range Rover Evoque vs Audi A3 vs Mercedes CLA.

Between these 3 which would you take and why?

Mercedes Benz CLA 200CDI (new)
-136PS
-300nm
-Made in Finland.
-Brand new off factory car.
-Just your standard car.
-Price £46k no discount, no free options, no free upgrades.

Audi A3 Sedan 2.0TDI (new)
-150PS
-320nm
-Made in Hungary.
-New car that's been sitting at the dealer for 4 months.
-Automatic.
-It is a Sport trim level, has quite a few options.
-Price with a small discount £38k, if it didn't have a discount it would be closer to £43k

Range Rover Evoque 2.2TD Pure 4WD (15 months old)
-150PS
-400nm
-Done 9000km and is the ex-display/test drive car.
-Automatic.
-Made in England.
-Has absolutely every option you can think off.
- aprox £45k, if it was brand new it would be close to £65k with the kit on it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Although the CLA is more stylish than the A3, the power difference is hard to ignore. The Range Rover has an advantage though coming with all the options but seems very under powered for it's size and that would annoy me if I was driving it.

For me it has to be the A3.
I think i'd want the Evoque but it seems like more of a girls car.

Probably the Audi then.
I'd personally say CLA, A3s v common and Evoque I consider to be a girls car - mainly because it was designed by Victoria Beckham

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
comparing A3 with Evoque, lol wut
Reply 5
Original post by iamu
comparing A3 with Evoque, lol wut

On price.

Original post by mattcam94
I'd personally say CLA, A3s v common and Evoque I consider to be a girls car - mainly because it was designed by Victoria Beckham

Posted from TSR Mobile

She did? Didn't know that. Presumably cosmetically rather than the engineering behind it?

Original post by Camoxide
I think i'd want the Evoque but it seems like more of a girls car.

Probably the Audi then.

Interesting. What makes you put it as a girls car?

Original post by The Jargen
Although the CLA is more stylish than the A3, the power difference is hard to ignore. The Range Rover has an advantage though coming with all the options but seems very under powered for it's size and that would annoy me if I was driving it.

For me it has to be the A3.

It isn't really a night and day difference between the 2. The main downside to the CLA is the price. In terms of driving experience though the CLA does feel a lot nicer than the A3 which essentially feels a bit of an expensive Jetta.

The Evoque indeed is a bit underpowered but it doesn't feel slow.
Reply 6
they are 2 completely different cars, why an A3 and not a rs5 bla bla bla?
Range Rover no question
Original post by Alfissti
On price.

She did? Didn't know that. Presumably cosmetically rather than the engineering behind it?

Interesting. What makes you put it as a girls car?

It isn't really a night and day difference between the 2. The main downside to the CLA is the price. In terms of driving experience though the CLA does feel a lot nicer than the A3 which essentially feels a bit of an expensive Jetta.

The Evoque indeed is a bit underpowered but it doesn't feel slow.

It's just got that girls car vibe to it. Like the BMW mini or the Beetle.
it did win Woman's car of the year award haha http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/04/range-rover-evoque-named-womens-world-car-of-the-year-for-2012.html

Might be able to get away with it if it's not in white.
Brain says to go for the A3, but if it was my money and I saw both cars in front of me at the dealer, I'd probably go for the Merc. (Not a fan of the Range)

Spoiler

CLA

http://insidelane.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Merc-CLA-45-AMG-2.jpg

I mean.. look at it. (Wrong engine and trim I know but bear with me.)
Reply 11
Am actually looking more for a nicer car to be among the pool cars. Currently have an Isuzu D-Max 2.5 and a Toyota Yaris Hybrid.

Primarily looking for something that is easy to drive and not too expensive to buy.

Decided to cross out the Mercedes as it is too tight on space and it is simply too much money for how little we get in return. Also didn't particularly like the attitude of the salesman.

Original post by Camoxide
It's just got that girls car vibe to it. Like the BMW mini or the Beetle.
it did win Woman's car of the year award haha http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/04/range-rover-evoque-named-womens-world-car-of-the-year-for-2012.html

Might be able to get away with it if it's not in white.

Interesting, the unit in question is red with white roof and black interior. Strangely enough the person who is pushing the most for this one is a woman who absolutely refuses to even ride in the D-Max let alone drive it.

I suppose it does give that sense of a chick car though these days the car all the girls into such type of cars want is the Porsche Macan or so it seems.

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Brain says to go for the A3, but if it was my money and I saw both cars in front of me at the dealer, I'd probably go for the Merc. (Not a fan of the Range)

Spoiler

That does seem to be a common comment with regard to these 2 cars. I can saw why too.

Original post by u_ahmed94
CLA

http://insidelane.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Merc-CLA-45-AMG-2.jpg

I mean.. look at it. (Wrong engine and trim I know but bear with me.)

The regular ones don't feel, look or drive anything like the one you illustrated :smile:
Original post by Alfissti
x

Go for the A3 mate. The discount makes it very reasonable.
Reply 13
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Go for the A3 mate. The discount makes it very reasonable.

We put a deposit on it. Now waiting for a reply with regard to the 1.5% finance offer they have on it.

Quick Reply

Latest