The Student Room Group

surgery

hello, im currently 16 (17 september),

is there anywhere that i can observe (brain (neuro)) surgery taking place? around london.

and also, whats the earliest age i can observe surgeries?
Reply 1
Yes you can. Unlikely but not impossible. I did this a week of neurosurgery in the summer after my gcses. I did get to go to theatre lots but I was very lucky. So if you have a placement lined up , enjoy every minute of it and make the most of it.

A surgical placement, arguable hospital based experience is not need to be successful in receiving a medicine offer. Work experience in a GP/ other healthcare setting is just as valuable and allows you to reflect upon in interview and your personal statement.
Reply 2
Depends on the hospital- friends in other cities have been able to observe surgeries but at my local one you have to be 17 and a half (wtf right :s-smilie:) to go into theatres :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by joeymr
Depends on the hospital- friends in other cities have been able to observe surgeries but at my local one you have to be 17 and a half (wtf right :s-smilie:) to go into theatres :smile:

Yea there are those rules but if you shadow a consultant and he says it's ok ... No one will question him. That's how I was able to do it at 16.
Whilst it's good to want to get into theatres and see neurosurgery (if that is what you potentially want to do), unless you can scrub it isn't really worth doing (even if you can scrub it's often a small operative field and the anatomy is very difficult having not studied it in detail). It may be worth seeing some of the more visual surgical specialities (especially if you can't scrub) such as ortho, plastics or general (laparoscopy).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending