The Student Room Group

Converting a car seat into a desk chair.

Has anyone tried doing this before?

Did you fabricate your own components or bought a kit for it?

Also if the seat had some electrics in it such as a power adjustment or a heater, how did you go about to making it work?

This is what am talking about :-

Not the cheapest thing in the world to buy from a dealer but I'm guessing you could save a fortune doing a self-build?
I thought you had loads of money?

fwiw there was a ancient channel four programme about making furniture from recycled parts - they did a alfa romeo armchair but it was basically just a car seat bolted into a plywood box.

the stresses on a swivel chair are large, you'd have to be a competent welder/fabricator or you'd be dicing with spinal injury imo.
Reply 2
You'd just need to fabricate something to fit between the seat runners and the swivel.

I wouldn't mess about with a seat heater - they draw a lot of power and you might just as well turn up the heating in the house / office if you're cold, but you could cannibalise something like a cheap 12 volt drill so you could have a 12 volt source attached to the bottom of the chair to power the seat motors. You can then use the drills charger to recharge the power pack.

Regarding the above comment... 1 inch of weld can withstand 1 ton of force so you don't even have to be a decent welder to pull off something reasonably strong since any bracket you make will be hidden from view anyway...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest