The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Travelling to Manchester for gigs

So I was wondering if anyone had any experience of travelling into Manchester for gigs and concerts? Is it easy/cheap to get to? When are the last trains back?
Thanks
Original post by JoshBedford
So I was wondering if anyone had any experience of travelling into Manchester for gigs and concerts? Is it easy/cheap to get to? When are the last trains back?
Thanks

Never gone to Manchester, but being an hour away I wouldn't expect it to break the bank.

As for cost and timings of the trains, have a look at some of the train ticket websites :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Im also in the same boat and planning on frequenting manchester often for gigs. Any more info on cheap train/bus routes would be a great help
Reply 3
When buying train tix I always go direct to the company providing the service as they will ALWAYS give you the cheapest price - Lancs to Manchester Piccadilly for e.g. is run by First TransPennine Express and a last-min open return ticket would cost you around £17, or £11 with a 16-25 railcard (STRONGLY recommend you get one, will save you 1/3 on all train tickets and only costs £30 a year - £27 if you use their 10% online discount). However in terms of coming home from gigs the last train departs from Manc around quarter past 10 which is a bit awkward, unless you wanna wait 'til 5am for the morning services to start!
Reply 4
Trains are £11 return with a railcard (slightly cheaper if you manage to get an "advance" fare), and take just under an hour; the last train back to Lancaster is about 10.30, however there is a megabus which leaves Manchester at 1.30am which is useful for gigs and stuff and also stops in the university underpass so if you live on campus you don't have to worry about getting a bus/taxi at 3am once you get back to Lancaster!
There is also a nationalexpress bus departing from coach station at 1 am, if i remember properly. This one goes only into town though, so for people living on campus I would suggest megabus :smile:

Quick Reply