The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Regardless of how many 'A' grade A levels these kids from private schools get, they don't cope as well at undergraduate level as state school kids who got lesser results - and their degree outcomes are lower.

Who has the last laugh come Graduation Day? :wink:
Reply 21
yeah sorry i was a little rude, just annoyes me how prvate kids get so much credit when they should be embarassed if they dont, if you get me. if tehy are really smart they can do it anywhere.
Reply 22
Who's to say that these private school kids haven't worked really hard? Who are you to take away from their achievement - no matter what school you go to, you still have to put in the effort and know your subject to get an A. Private schools push their pupils harder than a lot of state schools, including tuition on a saturday morning so it is obviously more likely that they achieve higher grades?

Exam results are certainly not the be all and end all - they give you access to different opportunities but at the end of the day, its down to you what you make of the ops available to you.

Sorry but you do sound bitter purely because you didn't get in the paper... if you want to promote you school that much and the turn around it has achieved then write to your local paper and tell them about it!!
Reply 23
vincent
look woman, i think that you have missed the point of the thread, it was why do private kids get into the paper, and peopel who really work hard do not.

This is just so insulting and wrong. The reason people in private schools do better, on average, is because they are in an environment that encourages them to work harder. Teachers don't write your coursework, they don't do your exams for you - there is only so much spoonfeeding you can do for people. I mean what do you actually think happens in private schools? You pay money, then you instantly get good grades? No - you pay money for good teaching, good libraries and an environment where doing well is expected of you. So you work harder and better.

You are also wrong to instantly assume that 'daddy pays for everything', ignoring people on scholarships/bursaries - while they are a minority, they are significant, surely?

Besides, which private school students in particular are you talking about? Can you link them?

And AAAB isn't that special an achievement, 10% of A Level students get AAA or better - you're in about the 90th percentile. Certainly not news-worthy anyway.
Reply 24
yawn
Regardless of how many 'A' grade A levels these kids from private schools get, they don't cope as well at undergraduate level as state school kids who got lesser results - and their degree outcomes are lower.

Who has the last laugh come Graduation Day? :wink:

Source?
Reply 25
kizer
This is just so insulting and wrong. The reason people in private schools do better, on average, is because they are in an environment that encourages them to work harder. Teachers don't write your coursework, they don't do your exams for you - there is only so much spoonfeeding you can do for people. I mean what do you actually think happens in private schools? You pay money, then you instantly get good grades? No - you pay money for good teaching, good libraries and an environment where doing well is expected of you. So you work harder and better.

You are also wrong to instantly assume that 'daddy pays for everything', ignoring people on scholarships/bursaries - while they are a minority, they are significant, surely?

Besides, which private school students in particular are you talking about? Can you link them?

And AAAB isn't that special an achievement, 10% of A Level students get AAA or better - you're in about the 90th percentile. Certainly not news-worthy anyway.

hmm wasnt it price harry who had his art exma literally done for him or am inincorrect, what you was saying is correct AAAB is not that impressive, but why do you make it sound like it is impressive if some kids who went to private school got it? yes as you said, they are in better enviroments, they havr better libaries, they have much better resources, in my school we had to delay coursework cos we didnt have some equipment as another class was using it. yes you said about daddy pays for everything, how many bursaries do you think they have? you think that most people are there on bursaires, you are wrong! and data wise they are not a large proportion and can almost be ignored.
Reply 26
Can I just say, don't reporters n that go to private school because of the large number of people getting straight A's and so more to talk about. I'm not private, just Grammar, but last year a guy who got AAAAAA was on the front cover of the local rag. This was followed with pictures of people who got AAAAA. Then it talked about how many people got AAAA and finally AAA and %'s of passes etc.

At 'lower' school as you like to put it, would it be worth them going to the school to find the few (I say 'few' as there statistically less) people who get a high respectable number of A grades?

Just my 2 cents.
Reply 27
vincent
hmm wasnt it price harry who had his art exma literally done for him or am inincorrect, what you was saying is correct AAAB is not that impressive, but why do you make it sound like it is impressive if some kids who went to private school got it? yes as you said, they are in better enviroments, they havr better libaries, they have much better resources, in my school we had to delay coursework cos we didnt have some equipment as another class was using it. yes you said about daddy pays for everything, how many bursaries do you think they have? you think that most people are there on bursaires, you are wrong! and data wise they are not a large proportion and can almost be ignored.

Prince Harry is obvioulsy a one off case, if I remember rightly the allegations by the art teacher were dismissed and she was fired.

You make it sound like if you are in a building with a decent library then you shouldn't get credit for working hard and getting a good grade. wtf? It's like I said - there is no magic formula in private schools, it's not like the teachers tell you what's going to be in the exam or give you pills that make you know all the answers. You do well by working hard, just like any other school. Private schools tend to have more people who work hard, mostly because of their backgrounds (pressure/expectation from home) and to a lesser extent because they are better resources, and arguably better teachers. The fact is that at selective schools, they tend to select people who will do well, so it isn't surprising they do - that doesn't mean they didn't work to do well. You are just spouting of a stereotype that doesn't hold up when you actually think about it.

And at my school, 25% of people were on a bursary of some kind, many people were on full bursaries, that is fairly typical of private schools, so, YES it is significant.

And I'll ask again: which links are you talking about?
Reply 28
kizer
Prince Harry is obvioulsy a one off case, if I remember rightly the allegations by the art teacher were dismissed and she was fired.

You make it sound like if you are in a building with a decent library then you shouldn't get credit for working hard and getting a good grade. wtf? It's like I said - there is no magic formula in private schools, it's not like the teachers tell you what's going to be in the exam or give you pills that make you know all the answers. You do well by working hard, just like any other school. Private schools tend to have more people who work hard, mostly because of their backgrounds (pressure/expectation from home) and to a lesser extent because they are better resources, and arguably better teachers. The fact is that at selective schools, they tend to select people who will do well, so it isn't surprising they do - that doesn't mean they didn't work to do well. You are just spouting of a stereotype that doesn't hold up when you actually think about it.

And at my school, 25% of people were on a bursary of some kind, many people were on full bursaries, that is fairly typical of private schools, so, YES it is significant.

and if the allegation was dismissed then why was she fired? im sure that she would not just state the she helped the idiot. i think it was a coverup since he has "royal blood"

And I'll ask again: which links are you talking about?

precisely, why do they need pressure and a lot of help from teachers to do we,, whereas other schools do not, you have weak arguemtns woman. see we didnt have the pressure you talk about. and what link you on about. i saw them why would i remember them?
Reply 29
Jesus Christ, if someone like Vincent can get three As, perhaps there's something in the claims that A levels are too easy
Reply 30
Apagg
Jesus Christ, if someone like Vincent can get three As, perhaps there's something in the claims that A levels are too easy

yes thats exactly what i am saying, why are people so impressed when people who went private get it.
thanks Apagg, you are spot on, if they are so easy why is it so impressive as shown by the meida?
Reply 31
vincent
precisely, why do they need pressure and a lot of help from teachers to do we,, whereas other schools do not, you have weak arguemtns woman. see we didnt have the pressure you talk about. and what link you on about. i saw them why would i remember them?

News to me!

You are now just talking ******s. 'A lot of help from teachers' - what do you mean? They teach us in lessons, set homework and mark it. If you want to talk to them about something you can. Was it that different in your school? Whether or not they 'need pressure' is irrelevant - if you work hard (and even if you don't but are naturally gifted) and get the grades, then well done you. As I have said twice now, nothing that weird happens in private schools, people just work harder and better. Which is impressive.
Reply 32
And the reason I keep asking for links is because I have seen more stories about state schoolers than private schoolers, so I'd be interested to see what you are talking about.
Reply 33
vincent
yes thats exactly what i am saying, why are people so impressed when people who went private get it.
thanks Apagg, you are spot on, if they are so easy why is it so impressive as shown by the meida?

I think you may have missed the incredibly subtle insult of Apagg's post..
Reply 34
vincent
I want to know what is so impressive about kids who went to a private school and they got AAAA, whats so fascinating about that? they probably get the best education in comparison to comprehensive schools and if they didnt get straight A's then i think that they should be embarassed. i see in the newspaper that billy bob got AAAA and went to King Billy bob private school blah blah, Susie Smith went to Queen Kelly School for girls private school and got AAAB. whats so impressive about that? iam kind of annoyed that our school didnt get any press coverage since i go to a pretty low school in south east london, but this year there was a real turnaround for the school since i think that their stats must have been increased quite a lot. when i see the press going on about how the private school kids are getting AAAA, its annoying. i mean i thinkn that its not that impressive at all. Whats your take on all this?

Thanks a lot; i went to private school and didnt get straight As.
Going to private school doesnt suddenly upgrade your intelligence or work ethic, it MIGHT give you access to a better education, but then again it might not, you can still get crap teachers.
Reply 35
vincent

I'm going to assume this is a witty rebuke to my skillfully delivered barb.

You mean, why do the mighty local papers carry stories about local students succeeding in their exams? Well, with such great stories as "Local Man Meets C List Celeb" and "Bicycle Pile Up At Market - Eggs Broken", they're probably desperate to fill their pages with something. Not to mention that including local students ensures sales to all those involved.
Apart from local papers, the national media goes out of its way to proclaim the worthlessness of A levels, so I'm unsure as to what you're arguing here?
Reply 36
vincent
I want to know what is so impressive about kids who went to a private school and they got AAAA, whats so fascinating about that? they probably get the best education in comparison to comprehensive schools and if they didnt get straight A's then i think that they should be embarassed. i see in the newspaper that billy bob got AAAA and went to King Billy bob private school blah blah, Susie Smith went to Queen Kelly School for girls private school and got AAAB. whats so impressive about that? iam kind of annoyed that our school didnt get any press coverage since i go to a pretty low school in south east london, but this year there was a real turnaround for the school since i think that their stats must have been increased quite a lot. when i see the press going on about how the private school kids are getting AAAA, its annoying. i mean i thinkn that its not that impressive at all. Whats your take on all this?

That's nothing: my 'A'-grades are actually hereditary. Indeed, no-one descended from my hallowed lineage has had to sit a public exam on their own initiative since 1803.
Reply 38
Profesh
That's nothing: my 'A'-grades are actually hereditary. Indeed, no-one descended from my hallowed lineage has had to sit a public exam on their own initiative since 1803.

I am fairly sure that my parents bought me commisions for my grades, as i struggle to spell even the most simple of words.

Cool.
Why can't I get that?

Latest

Trending

Trending