The Student Room Group

GTA 5 is a work of art

I'm a huge fan of the Wire, the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, X Files, Game of Thrones, Stanley Kubrick movies like A Clockwork Orange, The Shining. Francis Ford Coppola movies.

I enjoy Shakespeare, I read Dostoyevsky. And from all of this, from all of this artistic sensibility, I say

GTA 5 is a work of art! What an exceptional work. It's a master parody of the times in which we live, it's an incredible satire of social media, the film industry, video games and pop culture. I rate GTA 5 very highly

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MostUncivilised
I'm a huge fan of the Wire, the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, X Files, Game of Thrones, Stanley Kubrick movies like A Clockwork Orange, The Shining. Francis Ford Coppola movies.

I enjoy Shakespeare, I read Dostoyevsky. And from all of this, from all of this artistic sensibility, I say

GTA 5 is a work of art! What an exceptional work. It's a master parody of the times in which we live, it's an incredible satire of social media, the film industry, video games and pop culture. I rate GTA 5 very highly

What do you think?

I f***ing agree 100 per cent. It's a laborious task to get this through to the nay-sayers.
Original post by Susej Christ
I f***ing agree 100 per cent. It's a laborious task to get this through to the nay-sayers.

Nay-sayers are fools. They don't possess the sense of artistic context to understand just how special GTA 5 is.

I believe I'm a fairly literate man, I'm a man who enjoys the film of Kubrick, Coppola, Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino. I appreciate the literature of Shakespeare, of John le Carre, of Martin Amis.

I feel reasonably well-placed to say that Dan Houser is a genius of the first order; GTA 5 is a superb work of art. I've played all the GTA titles, GTA San Andreas was probably the only title that came close, and even GTA SA wasn't really on the artistic level, it was simply a good game. GTA IV was a good video game, but it wasn't a brilliant work of art like GTA 5
Reply 3
Got bored of it really quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hertz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps you didn't appreciate its artistry?

Were you after something that would just satisfy your desire for shooty-bang-bang?
Reply 5
Perhaps you didn't appreciate its artistry?

Were you after something that would just satisfy your desire for shooty-bang-bang?

it was just go here shoot this go there shoot that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hertz
it was just go here shoot this go there shoot that.

You didn't appreciate the satire of LifeInvader, of the Beverly missions? Of the Merryweather / Blackwater parody? Of Laszlo and reality TV?

Also, did you not appreciate the splendid graphics in terms of depicting cities, and water (the water graphics were exceptional), and so on? Of realistically depicting Southern California?
GTA V was probably the first title in the series where I felt a real chemistry between the protagonists. I mostly enjoyed the cutscenes, especially how Michael and Trevor rile each other up :smile:

Trevor: "I'm not a ****ing hipster!"
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8

What do you think?

I disagree. GTA5 is a game of very poor quality. I greatly enjoyed Vice City and San Andreas, those two games were true works of art. Why? For a multitude of reasons. Beautiful scenery, interesting characters, and engaging storylines. GTA4 and GTA5 both completely lacked two of those key ingredients - characters and storylines.

Let me explain this further. I've been a long time fan of the GTA series, I would consider myself a huge fan. Vice City and San Andreas shaped how I would come to view and rate video games. Truly revolutionary games which impressed me in a major way. It's rare to come across games as fully developed as these two. But the 4th and 5th installments in the series were very weak indeed. GTA has always been a game about the characters and the storyline, the main focus was never on the quality of the graphics or the game mechanics, those were secondary.

GTA4 and 5 both have very bland characters. The 3 main characters in GTA5 are very dull when you compare them to CJ from San Andreas. The story in GTA5 isn't engaging at all, it's very dull. I did not find the game addictive, I didn't enjoy the story at all. I enjoyed the graphics and the mechanics, I thought those were very well done. But that's not the reason people play GTA games. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself, because for me, the most important aspects of GTA have always been the characters and the story.

So considering all of this, I do not think GTA5 is a work of art at all. In fact, I regret spending £38 on the game, I consider it a waste of money. The game was just so unforgettable, I finished story mode in under a couple of days and never came back to it, just never felt like replaying it. Lets not even mention GTA Online, one of the least engaging online multiplayer experiences I've ever had. I'm very disappointed by GTA5, not only because it's such a poor game, but because I'm comparing it to the extremely high standards set by Vice City and San Andreas. In comparison, GTA5 was a huge disappointment for me. I didn't find it very humorous as I did with the other two. The missions weren't very fun. Even the radio stations were absolutely horrible. The West Coast Classics station was such a huge disappointment compared to Radio Los Santos. Vice City had such a great soundtrack and the radio talk shows were absolutely hilarious. I can't say the same about the latest game.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
You didn't appreciate the satire of LifeInvader, of the Beverly missions? Of the Merryweather / Blackwater parody? Of Laszlo and reality TV?

Also, did you not appreciate the splendid graphics in terms of depicting cities, and water (the water graphics were exceptional), and so on? Of realistically depicting Southern California?

True there were more actual missions but everything still ended in shooting. Liked the heists. Should have a cop role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rdr> gta 5
Reply 11
Original post by scotttb
Rdr> gta 5

Nah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hertz
True there were more actual missions but everything still ended in shooting. Liked the heists. Should have a cop role.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be quite interesting, just to see how the plot would develop.
Original post by Stinkum
I disagree.

Original post by Hertz

Agree with both of these. It's a technical masterpiece on the 360 and PS3, but it is a boring game with dull characters.

You want a gaming piece of art with incredible writing, go play The Last of Us. By far the most compelling game I've ever played.
Reply 14
Original post by mikeyd85
Agree with both of these. It's a technical masterpiece on the 360 and PS3, but it is a boring game with dull characters.

You want a gaming piece of art with incredible writing, go play The Last of Us. By far the most compelling game I've ever played.

I had the pleasure of playing Last of Us on the playstation recently. What a memorable game! Absolutely superb and very engaging and immersing. Not only does it have absolutely stunning graphics, but the characters are interesting, the dialogue is well written and the story is definitely interesting. Really enjoyed that game. I mostly played it in the middle of the night in a darkened room with surround sound, such an intense gaming experience. Quite a unique game. This game exemplifies everything that GTA5 failed to deliver.
Reply 15

I completely agree, I absolutely love the adverts on the radio as well, like the election adverts or the satirical airline adverts ('Sit back, relax, and shut up'), though I often wonder whether the finer details like the satirical elements of the game, or the stunning graphics (which still amaze me even now) or even the attention to detail in the city and the countryside have always been a bit lost on many gamers who still just see GTA as a game to 'kill people and blow **** up', which is a shame cause there is just so much more to the game.
I'm still not sure that I agree with the concept of three main characters; for me, it diluted the impact and development of the story arcs. I do get why they designed it in that way though - looking at the characters that have come before (Eastern European immigrant, black man in the ghetto and more Italian Americans than you can shake a stick at) one wonders where they could have taken it next. The game wouldn't work unless there was some element of rising up through the ranks and the main protagonist needs to offer something that the player isn't living through; either the character needs to fit these criteria or a compromise should be reached. Multiple protagonists was a good experiment and was executed well; however, I feel that the concept should be left there.

Personally, I would have liked to see more made of Michael's story. Essentially, he is my preferred character because I feel that he has the most relatable brand of dysfunction between the three; I can identify to an extent without feeling as though I have lived through the story before.

Coming up with the next individual protagonist is tricky though (unless you dip back to reprise a previous character). 'Black vs white' and 'immigrant vs native' are two fairly easy stories to get across but they've been done now; I fear they'd lose their potency if done again so soon. I wonder if Rockstar could play on this modern obsession with authority and corruption therein? I could see a game based around a corrupt policeman (think Officer Tenpenny) or something along those lines - have a small 'good guy' aspect to season the 'bad guy' stuff; think of police brutality, bribery and things like phone tapping. GTA V has laid down some good groundwork on the path towards something like this. But that's for Rockstar to think about and bring about.
Reply 17
Love it. Its my second favourite out of the GTA series (1st is San Andreas). My favourite parts of it are:
- Online mode
- The cars you can get and how you can customise them (wish they`d let you put vinyl and stuff like that on as well)
- The missions (do wish there were more though, but given the three different characters its understandable)
- The map overall, the game is so much more interactive, you can go to triathlons, golfing, its great!

:smile:
I'm not sure if you're trying to be a troll or not because you seem to flit between the two, but in this case I can seriously say it is one of the closest games to a work of art, as well as being probably the cleverest.
Original post by Tom_green_day
I'm not sure if you're trying to be a troll or not because you seem to flit between the two.

Eh?

Quick Reply

Latest