The Student Room Group

Which exam board is best for sciences?

...as the title really :biggrin:

I would like to get an idea of what people think. :smile:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Are you talking about AS and A2? For Biology, I love being on Edexcel, though a lot of people dislike it. I think it's the best exam board because instead of doing ISAs for the coursework, you're given the opportunity to choose absolutely any Biological problem and write a report on it. During A2, you do an individual investigation, again, on anything you want, and then you have to do a stats test and write up as you'd see in a scientific journal. The A2 coursework for OCR B Chemistry is the same.
These types of exam boards are for students who are more independent (like me). I find it hard to concentrate all year round until we do coursework because it's on something that I've chosen myself and enjoy researching.
My college are switching to AQA for both Bio and Chem next year because the majority of students find ISAs easier, and it's apparently the easiest board for sciences.
AQA
OCR A the worst by far, always ask unpredictable bull**** and the papers recently have not been consistent.

Also those sweaty ***** get off over putting so many skeletal questions in.

But to answer your question AQA seems the best, and WJEC seems the easier all arbitrary tbh.
AQA have painfully predictable answers usually - as long as you are familiar with past papers they prove fairly straightforward. The only problem with AQA are the ISAs which have to be one of the most moronic examination methods I have ever seen. Essentially, it is alleged (and pretty obvious that) many schools allow the students to see the answers before hand, hence why the grade boundaries are stupidly high.

So, other than ISAs the AQA exams are pretty easy tbh. No idea for the other exam boards though.
I did crap on AQA, but when I switched to CCEA (repeated A2s), Biology got 10x easier. CCEA maths is great. OCR chemistry is alright, but I have nothing to compare it to.
Edexcel or OCR.
Reply 8
Edexcel for Biology, definitely :yep:
The independent report coursework is lovely.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
...as the title really :biggrin:

I would like to get an idea of what people think. :smile:

OCR B advancing physics. Please do not pick this course. You will struggle. My advice is that if you do not want to do anything in university physics based then simply don't take physics. But really avoid OCR at all cost. Worst text book followed by worst mark scheme and followed by worst revision guide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending