The Student Room Group

2015 Nursing Applications - Where? Which Branch?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sophi12
I've just finished my first year of a Children's Nursing degree so if you have any questions, just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I know your post is old but I'm assuming you've finished your second year nearly , I'm starting Northumbria for child nursing in September and I'm starting to stress about finanaces and stuff because I'm not getting a much from the Nhs, I was wondering if you still worked and if the hours of your placements ever bothered with your weekend work hours? & how has it been for you? Xxx
Original post by Ashleighb123
Hi, I know your post is old but I'm assuming you've finished your second year nearly , I'm starting Northumbria for child nursing in September and I'm starting to stress about finanaces and stuff because I'm not getting a much from the Nhs, I was wondering if you still worked and if the hours of your placements ever bothered with your weekend work hours? & how has it been for you? Xxx

Hiya
If you don't mind me asking, have you applied for a maintenance loan as well as nhs bursaries and how much bursary are you getting?

Personally I only got a job this year as I wanted to focus on uni. I work for NHSP so pick my shifts to fit round uni and placement. As I start my 3rd year in September, I'm going to try to pick up as many shifts as I can before I start uni as I know I probably won't have as much time during uni time. I'd recommend not getting a job unless you need to as your uni timetable and placement hours will vary every week so it's difficult to do fixed hours.

I absolutely love the course and wouldn't change it for anything. There's been some times where I've questioned whether I'm good enough but everyone gets 2nd year blues at one point so if that happens, don't worry. Just make sure you take any opportunity that comes your way as it will make the course even more enjoyable.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophi12
Hiya
If you don't mind me asking, have you applied for a maintenance loan as well as nhs bursaries and how much bursary are you getting?

Personally I only got a job this year as I wanted to focus on uni. I work for NHSP so pick my shifts to fit round uni and placement. As I start my 3rd year in September, I'm going to try to pick up as many shifts as I can before I start uni as I know I probably won't have as much time during uni time. I'd recommend not getting a job unless you need to as your uni timetable and placement hours will vary every week so it's difficult to do fixed hours.

I absolutely love the course and wouldn't change it for anything. There's been some times where I've questioned whether I'm good enough but everyone gets 2nd year blues at one point so if that happens, don't worry. Just make sure you take any opportunity that comes your way as it will make the course even more enjoyable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw thank you for your reply! Yeah I am getting £2000 maintenance loan and only £177 a month off nhs so gonna try and work weekends at my job and my parents will help me by it's just stressful! & I'm so excited because iv wanted to do it for many years I applied 2 years ago and got rejected then I done a foundation degree then got in so happy! Just so nervous!
Do you suggest anything like shoes, books or anything like that's? Xxx
Original post by Ashleighb123
Aw thank you for your reply! Yeah I am getting £2000 maintenance loan and only £177 a month off nhs so gonna try and work weekends at my job and my parents will help me by it's just stressful! & I'm so excited because iv wanted to do it for many years I applied 2 years ago and got rejected then I done a foundation degree then got in so happy! Just so nervous!
Do you suggest anything like shoes, books or anything like that's? Xxx

No problem :smile:
Ah okay.
I wouldn't buy any books etc. yet until you know what the uni recommends. In terms of shoes, I'd check what the uniform policy is for your uni as my uni requires black leather shoes that cover your whole foot, meaning no crocs.

Personally before I started I bought a fob watch, a pocket notepad to wrote down any info whilst on placement, some multicolour pens for placement and a good water bottle for those 12.5 hour shifts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophi12
No problem :smile:
Ah okay.
I wouldn't buy any books etc. yet until you know what the uni recommends. In terms of shoes, I'd check what the uniform policy is for your uni as my uni requires black leather shoes that cover your whole foot, meaning no crocs.

Personally before I started I bought a fob watch, a pocket notepad to wrote down any info whilst on placement, some multicolour pens for placement and a good water bottle for those 12.5 hour shifts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thanks so much :smile:
Original post by boogieshoe
I did, it was really good to meet everyone. I think the reference thing is sorted now, hopefully I'll know by the end of the day! Now I'm excited!

Ah so did I! Where you in the class with us all? X
Original post by Shanzii
I'll be apply for child nursing 2015 at Nottingham, Southampton, City, King's College and South Bank

YAS were basically the same! I'm applying to Kings, City, Kingston, Nottingham and Surrey.
Child nursing and I'm doing BTEC L3 health and social care just going into extended disploma in September. :biggrin:
Which nursing is more in demand?
adult nursing, child nursing, learning disability nursing or mental health nursing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
adult nursing, child nursing, learning disability nursing or mental health nursing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There will always be more jobs for adult nurses. There are also more spaces on adult nursing degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77

Posted from TSR Mobile

You shouldn't pick the one with more demand, you need to pick the one you'll enjoy most! If you pick adult because there are more spaces and don't enjoy it then leave, you could also potentially be stopping someone else from achieving their dream as you might of had their space x x x x
Is anybody starting adult nursing at the university of Cumbria (Carlisle/Fusehill) for the March 2016 intake?
Hiya

Did you get in?
Xx
Can somebody help?

Child nursing London southbank?

Do you know if we have to go in tomorrow for induction??

Thanks x
Original post by Charleyandhunter
Can somebody help?

Child nursing London southbank?

Do you know if we have to go in tomorrow for induction??

Thanks x

My friend is doing adult nursing at south bank and is in tomorrow for induction x
Thanks hun

But she will be at harold wood campus and I just wondered if child nursing was Defo tomorrow at Southwark too xx
anyone who has been to Anglia Ruskin and Northampton for mental health interview? help with questions. tia
Original post by ladypee
anyone who has been to Anglia Ruskin and Northampton for mental health interview? help with questions. tia

No one can tell you what they got asked exactly, its against the rules. But it will be things like why nursing, why mental health, your strengths that will help with nursing, what is the role of the nurse and about current issues in mental health/the nhs.
Original post by Becca335
What is an access course ??
I would always assume that there are ALWAYS fewer places than general or mental health nursing. If you have been offered a place then you have done well, and always make sure you get the exact or higher grades with the child nursing then it is a bonus, there is no room for dropping a grade even one! , as there are 200 waiting ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending