The Student Room Group

2015 Nursing Applications - Where? Which Branch?

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying for adult nursing at lincoln nottingham York at either manchester or birmingham city

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Becca335
Thanks I'm a bit shy and did have interviews for adult nursing but didn't get an offer but now I'm growing as a person and I'm trying to improve my confidence more

I've applied to help in the hospital and to help in the shop

Applied and looking for work experience in children's hospital Manchester Birmingham and Salford

I live in north wales

I've also contacted my local primary school to see if I can either help in the breakfasts club and after school clubs

I've had work experience in the hospital

But because of reasons I can't explain I've been in a coma you see and when I came round and started recovering I was talking to some nurses and they said never do adult nursing it's the worst thing you can ever do and I've always wanted to be a childrens nurse but because of limited spaces I chose adult .....so really I want to give something back to them something I can say well no words can explain basically so yeah

I need to get in - do I need to do an access course or not ?? I've just done and finished my a levels

Welsh bac - A
Health and social double - BC
Applied science - D
Religious education - D

People are doing loads of access to health I could do one in my college but they're saying it's a waste of money

I also help and volunteer at at johns ambulance and I'm joining the Red Cross

Please can you help me with anything else x

Well all your experiences etc sound fantastic!! Now just make sure you explain what you've learnt from it all in your PS and specifically why you want to do child branch! I can't stress that enough! Give examples to back up what you say. I was very I'll growing up so I completely understand your choice for child nursing too :smile: you can mention it in your PS but try not to be too 'cheesy' with it! Explain how your experience as a patient has allowed you to appreciate the hard work nurses do, etc. use it in that way :smile:

In terms of your academic credentials, that's a decision you need to make yourself! Have a look at different uni entry requirements and see what you meet etc. but if you're set on a Russell group uni or one with a outstanding nursing reputation you may want to consider gaining other qualifications, but again that's a decision you'll need to make. Nursing is very competitive, but as long as you meet minimum entry requirements then you stand a good chance as long as your PS is very good :smile: people who have gained places at southampton in my cohort did the access!

Honestly, if it's your dream to be a child nurse, go for it! Like i say you have a lot if unique experience, show that off in your PS, search and find uni entry requirements you meet and put that all together and you stand a very good chance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by bm_sewell
Well all your experiences etc sound fantastic!! Now just make sure you explain what you've learnt from it all in your PS and specifically why you want to do child branch! I can't stress that enough! Give examples to back up what you say. I was very I'll growing up so I completely understand your choice for child nursing too :smile: you can mention it in your PS but try not to be too 'cheesy' with it! Explain how your experience as a patient has allowed you to appreciate the hard work nurses do, etc. use it in that way :smile:

In terms of your academic credentials, that's a decision you need to make yourself! Have a look at different uni entry requirements and see what you meet etc. but if you're set on a Russell group uni or one with a outstanding nursing reputation you may want to consider gaining other qualifications, but again that's a decision you'll need to make. Nursing is very competitive, but as long as you meet minimum entry requirements then you stand a good chance as long as your PS is very good :smile: people who have gained places at southampton in my cohort did the access!

Honestly, if it's your dream to be a child nurse, go for it! Like i say you have a lot if unique experience, show that off in your PS, search and find uni entry requirements you meet and put that all together and you stand a very good chance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you it really helped if I message you closer to the time could you help me with my ps x thanks x I'm hoping to study at Bangor university for children's nursing or Chester but preferably Bangor as I love wales and the coast x thanks you have helped me so much x

Are you studying children's nursing how is the course going x
Thank you it really helped if I message you closer to the time could you help me with my ps x thanks x I'm hoping to study at Bangor university for children's nursing or Chester but preferably Bangor as I love wales and the coast x thanks you have helped me so much x

Are you studying children's nursing how is the course going x

Ah, glad I could help!

Yes, feel free to do that! I'll help as much as I can!!

Good luck with your application! :smile:

I don't start my child nursing degree until next month! But I can't wait to get going :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by bm_sewell
Ah, glad I could help!

Yes, feel free to do that! I'll help as much as I can!!

Good luck with your application! :smile:

I don't start my child nursing degree until next month! But I can't wait to get going :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you x how old are you and have you finished your a levels also when your not so busy can you tell me how the degree course is going
Thank you x how old are you and have you finished your a levels also when your not so busy can you tell me how the degree course is going

I'm 18 and just finished my a levels :smile: and yeah sure I will!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya I'm so so passion about becoming a children's nurse I'm just wondering what experiences did you have and did you do any volunteering 1. Any volunteering or work experience
2. What qualifications gcse a levels or college courses
3. What sort of questions did they ask and what is the group discussion
4. What did you do to stand out
5. Are they're older people more or younger

C

Sorry for all that

Ar

Can you choose where you want to be placed

How is the work load and what do you get to do on the ward of the children's hospital

How do you get your uniform

You see I'm really passion about becoming a nurse and I really want it like no words can explain

Please can you help me x

Hiya
I only had experience volunteering at a special needs school and at a primary school which most unis are fine with as its hard to get hospital experience :/

I had good gcses, as politics and a-levels in business,economics and psychology.

The interview questions vary from uni to uni but usually include why do you want to do the course?, how do you deal with stress? Etc.

My course is mixed ages ranging from 18 to 38 with a nice mix between so you learn from everyones varied life experiences :smile:

Im at Plymouth and as we cover the south west peninsula, we were given 4 area preferences so you can ask for an area to some extent, but i don't know what other unis do.

The work load is bigger compared to other courses as its usually 9-4/5 5 days a week during theory then 37.5 hours on placement a week during placements, so it can be stressful and definitely needs commitment :smile:

Universities provide a branded university uniform for placement which makes it clear to patients and other staff that you are a student nurse, the amount you receive free of charge again varies uni to uni, with most giving you 3 tunics and 3 pairs of trousers. You do have to buy your own shoes but i wouldn't buy them until you're at uni as different universities have different policies on this (e.g my uni wont allow you to wear crocs, trainers or pumps, and your shoes must be leather and black).

Hope i've helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I've just finished my A levels and achieved ABB and i'm taking a gap year now and working as a healthcare assistant. I'm applying for adult nursing in September at Southampton, UWE, Bournemouth, oxford brookes and york. It would be great to talk to others who are applying for nursing 2015 entry :smile:

Here's the nursing connect/stalking page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi I'm applying for child nursing in 2015, are you nervous about you personal statement and interview. The universities I'm looking at are:
Staffordshire
ARU
Edge hill
South bank
And I'm not sure about the last.
What are you doing during your gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello! :smile:

I am applying for the September 2015 intake in Adult Nursing and about to enter my final year of college.

The universities I am applying for are:

Kings College London
City University
Greenwich
South bank
Middlesex

What A-levels did you study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I studied psychology film and history and I'm doing health and social care this year at college, what college are you at? What did you study?
Reply 31
Hi :smile:
I am planning on applying for Adult Nursing for 2015 at Surrey, Southampton, Kings, UEA and Oxford Brookes.
So excited but also really nervous about the whole interview process as not that sure what to read up on exactly?
Also Surrey are planning on doing Multiple Mini Interviews for the first time this year so a bit unsure about this?
If anyone has any info on any of this that would be great!
Thank you :smile:
Hi! I can see some of you are looking at universities up North... Just thought I'd let you know the University of Salford are having an open day on 13th September. I'd highly recommend attending open days to find out more about the course and get a feel for the university - you know when you've walked into the right one, and for me it was definitely Salford!

http://www.salford.ac.uk/news/undergraduate-open-days4

Let me know if I can help with anything! :smile:
Hello! :biggrin:
I am going into my A2 year, and am working as a care assistant in a nursing home. I have looked at a few unis and probably going to apply to:
Cardiff-Adult
Southampton-Adult and Child
De Montfort-Adult
Nottingham-Adult
Birmingham City-Adult

Anyone started the UCAS whatnot yet? :smile:
I am going to be applying to Nottingham, Birmingham City, Cardiff and De Montfort all for adult nursing 2015. I'm also thinking of applying to Southampton as my fifth option for adult and child, I've not had a chance to go to an open day there yet, any one else been? What did you think?
What sort of healthcare experience have other people had? I've got a job as a relief carer in a nursing home, so hopefully I'll be able to talk about that and make it relevant in any interviews! :biggrin:
I will be applying for nursing at bucks ,london south bank, bradford , swansea plus somewhere else.
I m applying for mental health branch at uclan(for both march 2015 and sept 2015) , edge hill( april 2015) , cumbria uni(sept 2015) and am stuck between putting ljmu or salford down as a 5th at the moment.

I orginally wanted to do nursing in 2013 but didnt get the a level grades so have spent the past year doing a foundation certificate in health and social care and am doing the foundation degree year from September which depending on what happens with my nursing application I may or may not finish it. I did 100 hours work experience placement as part of my course in may and have done random bits of volunteering over the years so hoping to do better with my application this time round.
Original post by Jordan-clo
Hi I'm applying for child nursing in 2015, are you nervous about you personal statement and interview. The universities I'm looking at are:
Staffordshire
ARU
Edge hill
South bank
And I'm not sure about the last.
What are you doing during your gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Ah okay, i'm still not 100% sure on my choices, but going to look at a few more before I submitt my UCAS application.

I've pretty much completed my personal statement, as I want to get my UCAS done as soon as possible as already got my grades; don't want to be dealing with UCAS my whole gap year! How about you? It's really not too bad, if your passionate about the subject you'll have a lot to write about!
Original post by Muggins95
Hello! :biggrin:
I am going into my A2 year, and am working as a care assistant in a nursing home. I have looked at a few unis and probably going to apply to:
Cardiff-Adult
Southampton-Adult and Child
De Montfort-Adult
Nottingham-Adult
Birmingham City-Adult

Anyone started the UCAS whatnot yet? :smile:

Yeah i've started filling it in and nearly done my personal statement :smile: How about you?
hi :smile:
Im currently in my A2 year and the universities im thinking of for adult nursing are : Nottingham
Birmingham
Coventry
De Montfort
And i just want to ask have you got any advice when writing the personal statement ?
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending