The Student Room Group

Question about Oxford submitted work?

This October I'll be applying to Oxford to do Japanese starting 2015. As part of the application, one of the requirements is that I submit 2 pieces of marked written work. What do people usually submit for this? Should I use essays I did this year, or should I submit essays I do at the start of year 13? Or do people write the essays just for the Oxford application or what? I'm pretty clueless and would be grateful if someone could shed some light on the whole 'written work' process. Thanks!!
Reply 1
You shouldn't write work specifically to support your Oxford application - essays you've written for your AS/A-Level courses in either Year 12 or early Year 13 will be absolutely fine. Normally for Oriental Studies courses (such as Japanese), there's no expectation that the essays need to directly relate to the subject you're applying for - tutors will be focusing more on your general academic skills, such as analysing evidence, constructing an argument etc. This means any essays written for an AS/A-Level course in humanities or social sciences will be fine - although try to make sure they cover fairly different topics, to demonstrate a range of skills and interests (so, two History essays would be fine, but avoid, for instance, submitting two essays on the Cold War or Nazi Germany). Finally, each essay needs to be a maximum of 2000 words in length.
Original post by Glushko
You shouldn't write work specifically to support your Oxford application - essays you've written for your AS/A-Level courses in either Year 12 or early Year 13 will be absolutely fine. Normally for Oriental Studies courses (such as Japanese), there's no expectation that the essays need to directly relate to the subject you're applying for - tutors will be focusing more on your general academic skills, such as analysing evidence, constructing an argument etc. This means any essays written for an AS/A-Level course in humanities or social sciences will be fine - although try to make sure they cover fairly different topics, to demonstrate a range of skills and interests (so, two History essays would be fine, but avoid, for instance, submitting two essays on the Cold War or Nazi Germany). Finally, each essay needs to be a maximum of 2000 words in length.

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending