The Student Room Group

Can you choose when to have your classes in university?

Or is that already arranged for you? For instance, instead of a morning class, you can opt for one in the afternoon instead. I heard that colleges in the US do that. Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Of course not. You go to classes and lectures when the staff say so.
Lectures are fixed at mine and there is a limited choice of seminars (as lectures are for the whole group of students and seminars for smaller numbers). E.g I'd have a lecture 12-2 and seminar sessions would be a choice of 11-12, 12-1, 2-3 a couple days after :smile:
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Lectures are fixed at mine and there is a limited choice of seminars (as lectures are for the whole group of students and seminars for smaller numbers). E.g I'd have a lecture 12-2 and seminar sessions would be a choice of 11-12, 12-1, 2-3 a couple days after :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by DeceitfulDove

For me it's the same. Lectures are fixed, but for tutorials you have a choice out of various sessions, as not everybody is taking the same modules so you have to pick tutorials which fit in with your own lecture schedule.
Some universities run lectures multiple times a day. I know for my course a good few modules do at least 2 or sometimes 3 runs of the same lecture a day depending on student numbers. However, you are allocated to one slot and should do your best to always attend that one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In my experience, you were allocated times for everything, but where multiple sessions were running, e.g. of the same lab, it was possible to switch. However, commuting students and those with children got first refusal on switching, so it's not always possible to switch, and sometimes you had to go to your assigned session, no switching allowed.

For most optional modules, things only ran once, so there wasn't much choice.

Unfortunately, you might have to suck up some early starts and late finishes.
We had lectures that involved the whole year across the school (200+ students) in first year. They still only ran once, and for labs and seminars etc, we would be assigned to a particular session (in first year largely alphabetically because we mainly had core modules and in second year usually with people who were doing the same optional modules as you). If you missed your assigned session you could arrange to attend another one but really that was only for particular circumstances (i.e. you were ill for your session, or something like that). Certainly for labs, if you turned up at random session you wouldn't count as having signed the register, and risked not getting a mark for the associated coursework.
Reply 8
At my uni, they made it clear in semester B that they wouldn't move anymore around anymore because it's just too much hassle. Semester A was just horrible as there were major issues with timetables so in the end, everyone ended up going to and sticking too the seminars/lectures they chose to go to but come semester B, staff were adamant that unless you had a valid excuse, you couldn't move from your allocated slot.
So we had a lot of commuters and myself wanting to change because our buses were ****ty enough not to turn up so we managed to change eventually but those staying on campus made it harder cause they wanted to change too -.-

Quick Reply

Latest