The Student Room Group

'Macbeth' and 'The Laboratory'

I need help with the similarities and differences between the two, as well as how female madness is presented in both (along quotes which would be perfect)!

Thanks
The witches can be seen as disturbed in act four scene one, where they are standing round the cauldron chanting a spell (double, double toil and trouble... Etc). I linked this with the unnamed speaker of the laboratory (stanza III where it says "grind away moisten and mash up thy paste, pound at thy powder I am not in haste") because she seems passionate and excited about her revenge which is similar to how the witches are excited. I mentioned the torch aid tetrameter and rhyming couplets to link the texts together, and added about how both texts create an atmosphere of tension.
Another pair I did was on Lady Macbeth (act two scene two where she says "a little water clears us of this deed"). I linked this to the nameless speaker (stanza x1 line 3-4) as they both seem heartless and not guilty at what they've done.
sorry if that didn't make sense, and soz it's only a few ideas- I'm looking for help on the same subject so any extras you have would be great!!! :smile:
I had my Controlled Assessment the following day that I asked this question....

But I had a lot of the things that you mentioned e.g the iambic tetrameter.

I think I got an A/B in my CA, but thanks anyway. 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending