The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pbunny
Really? My dad says it's pretty damn competitive in the US :redface:

Investment banking? NEVER! For that matter, I will never consider going into anything that requires working 100+ hours/week. Sorry. I want to have a life, kids and a family. I actually was seriously looking into investment banking after my dad told me I should consider those types of jobs if I'm interested in working in the finance industry. I've done my research and definitely won't ever consider going down that path again.

30K (BTW it's higher in the US, around $52-58K (34-39K pounds) depending on where you live) is plenty of money IMO to live comfortably as a single recent college grad. I'm planning on living a relatively comfortable life (as in upper middle class) and have a work life balance - accounting meets my career goals (my dad's a chartered accountant so I've got a decent idea of what it's like).

Why do you want to go into IBD (why would you do that to yourself)?

Suit yourself, if you want to go into Big4, a degree and networks you will make at Cass will probs gaurantee you a role. I know a couple big4 guys, so if you ever need an introduction in terms of networking, let me know. When you're here get a Spring intern at a Big4 firm and really consider whether you'd like a career in accounting. The brand name of the uni will allow you to explore other areas of finance with relative ease, so make sure you atleast give some other places ago. I went to do some stuff with BDO accounting firm, didn't enjoy it at all.

That being said, got a first in my recent accounting exam here :wink: although tbh I find accounting to be the most boring **** ever. Don't think I could hack doing accountants work, maybe for their advisory/consultancy side but Tax or Audit, you can count me out.

As to why IB, I want my life to revolve around industry, I want to make a name for myself within finance. I don't do anything useful in my 'free time' as it is, so a life outside of my career would be fairly inefficient. I like the fact that banking is like a game, I like the cut throat nature of the industry, the intellegene of those within it, the knowledge that can be gained and the fact that all the players are constantly switched on, there's no breaks, people are reliant. It provides solid exit opportunities onto the buyside firms such as the hedge funds and private equity.
Original post by pbunny

BTW what are the target and semi-target unis in London? The only London unis I've seen on league tables for accounting and finance are LSE, Cass & Queen Mary - are they the only target unis? Is university of birmingham a target?

Along with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE; UCL and Warwick, the remaining members of the G5, are also top Universities to break into the profession from. After the G5:

Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/Bristol

Cass Business School (London)

York/Bath/St Andrews

King’s/Manchester

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Investment_Banking

These are really the uni's you want to be aiming for. Any of those would put you in a very good position for Big4 specifically, as that's the IB list which is incredibly harder to get into. QMUL isn't bad but it's not one of the 'well-known' for this profession.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pbunny
I totally understand how hard it's to convince your parents to you live in a dorm, been there done that! Have any of your relatives lived in dorms (they could help)? Have you tried telling them all the cons of commuting (there are legit studies that show that commuting has a negative impact on your grades)? The latter worked for me. But do consider that you'll be saving your parents a lot of money (not sure how much room and board in the UK is but I'm assuming its expensive) by commuting - maybe that's why they're against it?

Don't have any relative who has lived in halls.
I tried convincing them of the cons of commuting (I'm asking for just 1 year in halls)
In terms of Money, my parents aren't paying as Uni bursary and Government grants and loans is sufficient.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Along with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE; UCL and Warwick, the remaining members of the G5, are also top Universities to break into the profession from. After the G5:

Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/Bristol

Cass Business School (London)

York/Bath/St Andrews

King’s/Manchester

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Investment_Banking

These are really the uni's you want to be aiming for. Any of those would put you in a very good position for Big4 specifically, as that's the IB list which is incredibly harder to get into. QMUL isn't bad but it's not one of the 'well-known' for this profession.

Okay, thanks. But the only universities that you've listed that have an undergraduate accounting and finance course that my parents will allow me to go to (if I apply and get an offer) are LSE, Warwick and Cass. I don't meet the subject requirements of Warick so that's out and LSE is super competitive (although I do meet the grade requirements) so its a crap shoot. That leaves me w/Cass, QMUL and Birmingham. It doesn't seem worth applying to the UK, if that's the case tbh. I think I'm going to stick with only applying to American universities. But then I remember studying in the US (as an American) is A LOT more expensive than studying in the UK as an international student - how annoying :s-smilie:
Original post by Reacher65
Don't have any relative who has lived in halls.
I tried convincing them of the cons of commuting (I'm asking for just 1 year in halls)
In terms of Money, my parents aren't paying as Uni bursary and Government grants and loans is sufficient.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suggest asking them why they don't want you stay in halls. Then try to find evidence that goes against their reasons for not letting you live in a dorm. If your family is big and loud try telling them that living in a dorm will allow you to focus on your academics, get higher grades than you would have had you commuted to uni (=have a higher chance of getting a good job.)

Question, what's the point in living in a dorm for just one year? Are you then planning on moving back in with your family? I don't get the reasoning behind that.
Hey guys, I needed some advice. Is a foundation year in health and life science worth it as i have an offer from coventry to do it which would allow me to do a biology based degree or should I do a psychology degree?? :s-smilie:
Original post by QueenSI
Hey guys, I needed some advice. Is a foundation year in health and life science worth it as i have an offer from coventry to do it which would allow me to do a biology based degree or should I do a psychology degree?? :s-smilie:

Why not just straight up apply for biology?
Why not just straight up apply for biology?

I can't cause I didn't pick the right A-levels (Health, Psych and law) if I did biology or a science I wouldn't think of a foundation year.
Its all about exams and assingments 😔😔😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys its been a while, finally firmed and insured my uni choices and got 10 exams to look forward to. I hope your all doing well and study hard.
Original post by MathsAddict
Hey guys its been a while, finally firmed and insured my uni choices and got 10 exams to look forward to. I hope your all doing well and study hard.

Good luck bro.

Got a penultimate year summer offer at a BB IB :wink:

Pay is crazy bro, made it.
Good luck bro.

I knew you would make it keep doing your thing and climbing inshallah. :smile:

I got two months make or break or season looking hella rough and that.
Original post by gr8wizard10
Good luck bro.

Lend me some money innit.
Original post by Biryani007
Lend me some money innit.

buying a merc soz
buying a merc soz

To attract golddiggers?
To attract golddiggers?

because i want a merc, not everything has ulterior motives
because i want a merc, not everything has ulterior motives

I was just kidding :colonhash:

The least you could do is buy me eid clothes mate...after all I've done for you.
I was just kidding :colonhash:

The least you could do is buy me eid clothes mate...after all I've done for you.

if there's anything i have learnt in the corporate world it is 'take and don't give'
Reply 5138
Wait, there's a somali soc :eek: All this time i've been lurking in the pak-soc. :ahee:
Half somali checking in
Original post by Olon
Wait, there's a somali soc :eek: All this time i've been lurking in the pak-soc. :ahee:
Half somali checking in

it died, all the somali's who once dominated this thread have left

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending