The Student Room Group

Radical feminism infiltrating our schools

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kool_blaze
feminists do not believe in equality, that's for sure.

Well I'm a feminist and I believe in equality in all situations where equality is possible (obviously a woman has to have at least 1-2 days off work to give birth where a man doesn't actually need any, stuff like that).

But, I don't want to get too far off topic.
Original post by #Ridwan
Pathetic white knights. I have had periods of my life without sex but I would never stoop that low.

I genuinely giggled when reading this bit.
Original post by #Ridwan
Islamic extremism in schools is concerning and has rightly been receiving due attention in the media. However, a far more worrying form of extremism is creeping into our schools almost un-noticed.

The rise of radical feminism in our schools is extremely worrying and threatens this country's social fabric. Take a look at this extremist guff.

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6427726

We now have people working in our schools who try to impose conspiracy theories about gender on very young children. This is extremely concerning, and has led me to want to send my own daughter (aged 3) to a private school to stop her feeling such a sense of entitlement. All people, regardless of gender, will only truly achieve if they work towards their goals. Feminist thought tells them that as a woman, they should be given special privileges. I don't want my daughter to be corrupted by such nonsense. It is very concerning that our taxes are being spent on this.

Having just completed a PGCE (I have no intention of now entering teaching having seen how schools function), I have been privy to this nonsense and it horrifies me. I have seen early years practitioners encouraging, borderline pressuring, boys into wearing dresses during role play activities. This is not ethically right and is a clear example of how radical feminist thought is rising among adult women who are now trying to pass it on to our children. One practitioner looked down her nose at a parent whose son did not want to wear a dress during a school play. This boy had no interest in wearing dresses, yet the school wanted to force this on him all in the name of radical feminism. Terrifying.

More and more women are being taken in by this radical nonsense. I have seen intelligent, free-thinking young women becoming extreme feminists and spouting feminist extremism on Facebook after being exposed to these ideas at university: make no mistake, the higher education system also promotes the feminist agenda.

I am and always will be a strong advocate of equality of opportunity and equal treatment of women. What I will not support is unproven, highly controversial radical feminist conjecture being imposed on young children in state schools against their and their parents' will.

Insofar as you believe that pre-given identities and expectations should be attached to persons at birth, by sole virtue of their sex, then I don't see how you can sustain that claim on yourself.

Notwithstanding this being an obvious troll.
Reply 23
Original post by Misovlogos
Insofar as you believe that pre-given identities and expectations should be attached to persons at birth, by sole virtue of their sex, then I don't see how you can sustain that claim on yourself.

I don't believe that. If you think calling female teachers "miss" is an affront to gender equality you are nuts.
Reply 24
Original post by minimarshmallow
Not that they believe in equality between the sexes or anything...

Women have equality. Feminism has gone way beyond equality and is now aimed at oppressing free speech and acquiring unearned privileges for women.
Original post by #Ridwan
I don't believe that.

Anyone who perpetuates the gender binary does; which you seem to do.

Original post by #Ridwan
If you think calling female teachers "miss" is an affront to gender equality you are nuts.

I haven't read the article in full, but it seems a historical congealment of sexism, albeit inconsequential in isolation. I don't believe in gender equality, as stated above.
Reply 26
Anyone who perpetuates the gender binary does; which you seem to do.

Moaning about children calling female teachers "miss" has nothing to do with the gender binary.

I haven't read the article in full, but it seems a historical congealment of sexism, albeit inconsequential in isolation. I don't believe in gender equality, as stated above.

Oh right, so you think certain genders need special treatment. Your radicalism is plain for all to see. Maybe you should become a state school teacher.
[QUOTE="#Ridwan;48440784"]Moaning about children calling female teachers "miss" has nothing to do with the gender binary.

Insofar as you think persons should be imputed a necessary gender according to their sex, in binary fashion, you perpetuate the gender binary (i.e. having two gendered utterances for signifying a teacher, according to their sex).

Original post by #Ridwan
Oh right, so you think certain genders need special treatment. Your radicalism is plain for all to see. Maybe you should become a state school teacher.

No, if you followed what I said, to the contrary: I don't believe in gender equality because I think gender should be deconstructed and abolished.
Reply 28
Moaning about children calling female teachers "miss" has nothing to do with the gender binary.

Insofar as you think persons should be imputed a necessary gender according to their sex, in binary fashion, you perpetuate the gender binary (i.e. having two gendered utterances for signifying a teacher, according to their sex).

No, if you followed what I said, to the contrary: I don't believe in gender equality because I think gender should be deconstructed and abolished.

I have nothing to say to this other than that you have now been exposed as a radical and that if you want to live in a society that encourages this nonsense then you should probably move to Sweden. Please stay out of our schools.
Original post by #Ridwan
I have nothing to say to this other than that you have now been exposed as a radical and that if you want to live in a society that encourages this nonsense then you should probably move to Sweden. Please stay out of our schools.

You agreed with the statement:

That by necessity entails a disaffirmation of the gender binary. If you don't believe so, state why; calling someone radical and refusing engagement is rather paltry.
One woman writing an article hardly equates to infiltrating schools...
Today in a toy shop I saw a little boy take interest in a toy hoover, and his mum said 'no no, that's for little girls'.

I think that's wrong... And I do think the enforcement of gender roles from birth has a significant impact on the child's future development, and can hinder the child. Now whilst I disagree with making boys wear dresses as role play (although my mum is a teacher, and as are three of my close relatives and they've never experienced anything close to this sort), I think something should be done about gender roles.

The fact is our social environment has a huge effect on our development, our aspirations and our life goals. Toys, believe it or not, are a great way of enforcing gender roles as play is highly influential to a childs development. If my son wanted a girls toy, he can damn well have one, and vice versa if my child was a daughter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Classic whataboutery followed by a strawman and a few canards for good measure.

I'm glad you aren't going to blight the education of the next generation if that is what you think is a good argument.
By the same logic that feminists are applying, if a male teacher is pacifist he should be able to sue, because "sir" has military connotations.
Whilst I don't believe this to be the greatest or most pressing issue within our society, I do think the article raises some important points. Just because it is trivial compared to many more serious issues in society, does not detract from the argument.

Miss and Sir are clearly not equal and have connotations that refer to a less equal past. Some people will say women are equal now, but this is merely an example of some vestiges of past inequality that still pervade our society. Personally, we should have some respectful genderless term to refer to teachers. I don't see why we need to categorise and demarcate teachers between either Sir or Miss. Why not just have a universal term like 'Professor'? Admittedly as someone said earlier, Miss and Sir are far more simple and involve only a single syllable.

I don't see anything about this article that leads me to believe that radical feminists are taking over education.
Original post by The Epicurean
Whilst I don't believe this to be the greatest or most pressing issue within our society, I do think the article raises some important points. Just because it is trivial compared to many more serious issues in society, does not detract from the argument.

Miss and Sir are clearly not equal and have connotations that refer to a less equal past. Some people will say women are equal now, but this is merely an example of some vestiges of past inequality that still pervade our society. Personally, we should have some respectful genderless term to refer to teachers. I don't see why we need to categorise and demarcate teachers between either Sir or Miss. Why not just have a universal term like 'Professor'? Admittedly as someone said earlier, Miss and Sir are far more simple and involve only a single syllable.

I don't see anything about this article that leads me to believe that radical feminists are taking over education.

Yes you don't see feminism in education system growing over the years, because you are blind, boys now only make up 40% of universities,
not only they underachieve but put off applying to university. The eduction system has been turned out to suit how women learn!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lontttt530
Yes you don't see feminism in education system growing over the years, because you are blind, boys now only make up 40% of universities,
not only they underachieve but put off applying to university. The eduction system has been turned out to suit how women learn!

I am not blind. I know fully well that as a man I am far more likely to fail in education, be a drug addict or alcoholic, be homeless, end up in prison etc... These are issues that need to be addressed in our society. And I have criticised the prison system in the UK many times before on TSR.

I don't see how this equates to radical feminists taking over education? :confused: Many young boys grows up without a proper father figure, often times because of issues regarding unfair divorce settlements or the prison system oversaturated with men. Add to that the fact that primary education is almost completely run by females. I never had a male teacher throughout primary school. So again no male role model is present. Boys also mature at different rates to girls and many other factors are also at play which ultimately effect boys' performance in education. So ultimately a lot of social and also cultural issues play a huge factor.

But I assume you would rather resort to ad-hominems than debate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Epicurean
I am not a blind fool. I know fully well that as a man I am far more likely to fail in education, be a drug addict or alcoholic, be homeless, end up in prison etc... These are issues that need to be addressed in our society. And I have criticised the prison system in the UK many times before on TSR.

I don't see how this equates to radical feminists taking over education? :confused: Many young boys grows up without a proper father figure, often times because of issues regarding unfair divorce settlements or the prison system oversaturated with men. Add to that the fact that primary education is almost completely run by females. I never had a male teacher throughout primary school. So again no male role model is present. Boys also mature at different rates to girls and many other factors are also at play which ultimately effect boys' performance in education. So ultimately a lot of social and also cultural issues play a huge factor.

But I assume you would rather resort to ad-hominems than debate.

Boys maturing at different rate does not effect education!
Male teachers have been driven out of education my feminism.
I seen how female teachers treat boys! I seen the constant double standard sexism against boys in schools from female teachers!
Yet they get away with it, because "women can't be sexist" according to the political correct society.

A 14 year old boy who is good at maths can out perform a woman in her 30s at maths! and yet he is less mature than her!

Boys used to out perform girls at maths and science and many other subjects, till they changed the system and chased all the male teachers away.
Boys maturing at different rate does not effect education!
Male teachers have been driven out of education my feminism.

Why not? Puberty has a considerable effect on the teenage years. How could such a huge change not have some effect?

Cases of child sexual abuse and such have made many parents somewhat suspicious of males primary school teachers. Many men feel put off also for that reason. Also, the job of a primary school teacher seems to be far less respected nowadays.

Teachers have always had to be educated people. In the past, many women were denied a right to education for one reason or another and many schools were run by the Church. Both those factors obviously effected the gender ratio of teachers.

I seen how female teachers treat boys! I seen the constant double standard sexism against boys in schools from female teachers!
Yet they get away with it, because "women can't be sexist" according to the political correct society.

I never felt judged by female teachers because of my gender or that there was any obvious double standards.

Obviously though women are just as capable of being sexist as men. I don't know why you mention this point? :confused: I have no said otherwise.

A 14 year old boy who is good at maths can out perform a woman in her 30s at maths! and yet he is less mature than her!

Adeptness at maths does not equal mature.

Boys used to out perform girls at maths and science and many other subjects, till they changed the system and chased all the male teachers away.

Yet these subjects are still predominantly studied by boys and most girls choose not to study these subjects for one or another reasons.

Also, women have largely been encouraged in the past to aim for 'feminine' careers involving careering and such and not encouraged into the STEM subjects. Is it any surprise that boys used to outperform girls?

And what is wrong with girls outperforming boys? You seem to say that once upon a time boys outperformed girls and that was all fine, but now the tables have switched it isn't? Why is one gender doing better than the other fine, and the vice-versa not? Surely neither is ideal and what we should be aiming is for both boys and girls to excel equally?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TolerantBeing
Today in a toy shop I saw a little boy take interest in a toy hoover, and his mum said 'no no, that's for little girls'.

I think that's wrong... And I do think the enforcement of gender roles from birth has a significant impact on the child's future development, and can hinder the child. Now whilst I disagree with making boys wear dresses as role play (although my mum is a teacher, and as are three of my close relatives and they've never experienced anything close to this sort), I think something should be done about gender roles.

The fact is our social environment has a huge effect on our development, our aspirations and our life goals. Toys, believe it or not, are a great way of enforcing gender roles as play is highly influential to a childs development. If my son wanted a girls toy, he can damn well have one, and vice versa if my child was a daughter.

What store sells hoovers as a toy!? :s I don't really believe you saw that 'today' ...

Anyway, if you did, I wouldn't buy a toy that dumb for my child regardless of their gender.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending