The Student Room Group

2015 Physics Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by jack1128
I applied to do Software Engineering and now have had a drastic change of heart and want to do Physics instead :frown:, wasted my application.

Last year, I applied to do architecture. Realised I made a mistake, took a year out to apply again but for physics, now I'm having a great time!! Having a year out can be a great experience, if you wanted to consider that. Gave me more time to strengthen my application, study more, travel, work and save up.
Are any of you from Liverpool?
Original post by frankthebunny
Are any of you from Liverpool?

Me!!
Bit dead here, I'll fill in this for the sake of it :tongue:

-Where you live?

Lincolnshire!

-A Levels chosen and predicted/hopeful AS and A2 grades?

Last year I did AS and A2 level maths with M1 and M2 as the optional units. I got an A*, but I'm resitting M2 because I want a better UMS, due to A2 Further Maths this year... I also got an A in AS Physics.
This year I am doing AS and A2 Further Maths (FP1-3, S1, D1, M3) and A2 Physics. Hoping to get an A* in Physics and a B or A in Further maths :smile:

-Branches of physics you're interested in?

Most of it, to be fair. I only really used to like Astronomy, as that's how I got interested, but now I enjoy a lot more of the subject, and I enjoy maths now too (some of it, anyway :P )

-Universities you're looking at/favouring?

I was looking at Durham or Nottingham. Ended up firming Nottingham, as I preferred the feel of the university and city a lot more :smile:

-Specific course(s) you're planning on applying for?

Plain old MPhys Physics :tongue:
Original post by snb1234
Me!!

do you feel like you no one else is applying for physics from liverpool or is it just me?
Original post by frankthebunny
do you feel like you no one else is applying for physics from liverpool or is it just me?

It's not just you! At all of the open days/applicant days I went to I was the only person from Liverpool there for physics
Original post by snb1234
It's not just you! At all of the open days/applicant days I went to I was the only person from Liverpool there for physics

when I went I was the only girl from liverpool, only some of the lads were from Liverpool it's just weird
Reply 847
Original post by jack1128
I applied to do Software Engineering and now have had a drastic change of heart and want to do Physics instead :frown:, wasted my application.

Jack, as long as you have the right A levels for a physics programme, your choice(s) - if they offer physics - should let you change. I applied for aerospace systems at Glasgow and they were cool with me changing to astrophysics. I'd do it as soon as possible though if you haven't cancelled your application already?
Have any of you visited/have offers from UCL or Durham for physics? I'd be very grateful if you could tell me what you thought of them! I'm stuck on which one to choose as an insurance
Original post by bobbricks
Have any of you visited/have offers from UCL or Durham for physics? I'd be very grateful if you could tell me what you thought of them! I'm stuck on which one to choose as an insurance

Durham is by far the better uni for science/physics out of those two, if that helps :tongue:
Original post by Tibbz2
Durham is by far the better uni for science/physics out of those two, if that helps :tongue:

What makes it better?
What makes it better?

It is just a better department for physics in general, and has a better reputation than UCL, which is more a good rep uni for social sciences.

Plus Durham is a lot nicer place than UCL :tongue:
Reply 852

If you want to live in London go with UCL, if you prefer a less busy place chooses Durham.
Reply 853

Spoiler

We're on the same course.. see you next year hopefully haha
Original post by wmavfc

Spoiler

We're on the same course.. see you next year hopefully haha

Woop! :biggrin:

Hopefully, although that requires me to get myself in order and start actually revising all these maths units first :frown:
Reply 855
Original post by DanRigg96#
Thought I'd start a thread where us Physics buddies can share about Universities and courses we're looking at and interested in etc!
A few questions to get started:
-Where you live?
-A Levels chosen and predicted/hopeful AS and A2 grades?
-Branches of physics you're interested in?
-Universities you're looking at/favouring?
-Specific course(s) you're planning on applying for?

- Seoul, South Korea
- Actually doing a french baccalaureat and honestly still don't really understand how A levels work:confused:
- Probably Astrophysics but I'm interested in other stuff as well:smile:
- Durham and Birmingham, trying to figure out which should be my firm choice
- Physics Bsc!
Reply 856
Original post by Tibbz2
Woop! :biggrin:

Hopefully, although that requires me to get myself in order and start actually revising all these maths units first :frown:

Are you the person that liked my comment in the Nottingham group on fb? There only seems to be about 4 people doing physics haha.

Yeah glad I'm not doing further maths, core & physics are enough effort.
Original post by wmavfc
Are you the person that liked my comment in the Nottingham group on fb? There only seems to be about 4 people doing physics haha.

Yeah glad I'm not doing further maths, core & physics are enough effort.

I quite possibly was, think there are only 2 other people I have seen on that page doing physics, and I liked both of the comments :tongue: We're a rare breed :lol:
Original post by alow
If you want to live in London go with UCL, if you prefer a less busy place chooses Durham.

I'd like to live in London but the reviews for Durham seem to better for physics so I'm not sure...
Reply 859
Original post by Tibbz2
I quite possibly was, think there are only 2 other people I have seen on that page doing physics, and I liked both of the comments :tongue: We're a rare breed :lol:

Yeah it must have been you then. We are haha. Either that or the others just haven't found the groups because I'm pretty sure its a popular course!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending