The Student Room Group

2015 Physics Applicants

Poll

Which Physics course(s) are you going to apply for?

Thought I'd start a thread where us Physics buddies can share about Universities and courses we're looking at and interested in etc!
A few questions to get started:
-Where you live?
-A Levels chosen and predicted/hopeful AS and A2 grades?
-Branches of physics you're interested in?
-Universities you're looking at/favouring?
-Specific course(s) you're planning on applying for?

I'll start!
-Newport, South Wales
-Physics, Maths, Further Maths, History(dropping after AS)
Aiming AAA
-Astro, Particle, Fusion, but love it all!
-Bristol, Exeter, Leicester, UCL, Southampton
-Straight Physics MSCi
Your turn Physics buddies!

Here's the physics connect/stalking Page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello!!
-Bedford, East Anglia
-AS in Physics, Further Maths, Chemistry and A2 in Maths (predicted A*aab this year)
-relativity and quantum stuff!
- Bath, Birmingham, Warwick, possibly Cambridge
-theoretical physics Msci

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Nice! Love relativity and quantum theory, boggles the mind 😎
Couldn't make myself do Chemistry, it would've stressed me out (⊙_⊙) so well in haha!
Any books you've been reading or are planning to read to put in your personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I find it really interesting!!
I know, it's really confusing and even illogical at points but I still prefer it to writing essays in subjects like history!!

Erm yeah a few, Brian cox's new book, brief history of time and a couple of maths books on fermats last therom and game theory, which if I'm honest I don't really understand :L you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeah man essays suck compared to the secrets of the universe haha
I've been getting through the Very short introduction books by Oxford, great reads for people like us, doesn't go over your head :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hey,
-Newport, South Wales
-Biology (A), Chemistry (A), Physics (A), Maths (A) (AS Subjects)
- Particle Physics/Astrophysics (Still learning about all the different areas :smile:)
-Imperial College*, Nottingham, Bristol (Not particularly sure, except *)
- I think I'd like to do BSc then MSci

What are you doing over the summer that's physics related?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Another Newportonian! What are the chances
Would love to go to imperial but A* in Maths is so hard to get! D:
When you say BSc then MSCi what do you mean?
And I think I'm just gonna read, I could get work experience at my dad's work (engineering) but I'm not sure if unis care tbh, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I thought that you can complete a BSc then apply to continue with an MSci?
I'm doing a Nuffield Research Placement at Cardiff Uni and a Sutton Trust Summer School in Physics at Imperial
Reply 8
I suppose you could yeah
What's your reasoning behind wanting to do it that way? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I think it leaves me with more options, I'm not to sure on the specifics, I know that if you take a MSci it's an extra year, but I think the content of the first 3 years is the same for BSc and MSci.
I imagine the MSci is more competitive, and seeing as it's probably going to be difficult to get a place anyway I'd rather just get into a university I want to, and go from there
Reply 10
Fair enough! Most Unis are flexible with courses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
What about you, why are you going for MSci?
I've done a bit of work experience but not many lectures/ summer schools, but I can't seem to get on to any, any ideas for ones that are still open?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Fred Cantoni
I've done a bit of work experience but not many lectures/ summer schools, but I can't seem to get on to any, any ideas for ones that are still open?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saaame, I would recommend looking at particle physics masterclasses that are run by loads of unis, they're only a day long but useful for your PS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Anaris
What about you, why are you going for MSci?

Eventually doing a PHD and going into research is looking a likely outcome of the degree at the moment and the MSci suits that, many unis say if you're not sure whether to do bachelor's or masters take the masters so I'm gonna go for a 4 year slog
\( ̄<  ̄)>

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DanRigg96#
Saaame, I would recommend looking at particle physics masterclasses that are run by loads of unis, they're only a day long but useful for your PS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm not bothered about putting in the time to do physics, I mean I enjoy it! It's just finishing the opportunity, I applied to 5 summer schools at got rejected from all of them :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Fred Cantoni
Yeah I'm not bothered about putting in the time to do physics, I mean I enjoy it! It's just finishing the opportunity, I applied to 5 summer schools at got rejected from all of them :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got rejected from UNIQ, I've applied for Villier's Park, the deadline was last Friday :/
Where did you apply?
I've only heard about the ones I've applied to
Reply 17
One or both of your parents go to uni by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DanRigg96#
One or both of your parents go to uni by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well my dad got in but dropped out before he graduated so I didn't know what to put :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anaris
I got rejected from UNIQ, I've applied for Villier's Park, the deadline was last Friday :/
Where did you apply?
I've only heard about the ones I've applied to

Sutton trust
Imperial lectures
Cambridge maths lectures
Senior physics challenge
Last years villers park

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest