The Student Room Group

Invited to a Party, but Don't really know anyone there.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Thats the thing though , if your throwing the party yourself or are friends with the person throwing it , its likely the music will be to your taste . Posh people have parties , poor people have parties , hipsters have parties etc Its something seen to be universally wholesome and enjoyable for everyone alike .

I suppose some people find it fun to get drunk (my self included) , although there is always the one who takes it too far and collapses etc most people can handle their drink , alcohol helps put everyone in a good mood and acts as a social bridge.

I do most of that stuff to but variety is the spice so dont see anything wrong with going to a party every now and then .

Good luck , hopefully when you get invited to one you will change your views.

I was more specifically talking about the parties where there is blaring music, which I, personally, find distasteful. Each to their own, I guess. Parties which I think I would actually enjoy are the ones where there is champagne, classy people and older-styled music, instead of cheap bear and the new style of music. But honestly, people can do what they want and I have no right to judge. Different people enjoy differnet things and I respect that.
Original post by EatAndRevise
I was more specifically talking about the parties where there is blaring music, which I, personally, find distasteful. Each to their own, I guess. Parties which I think I would actually enjoy are the ones where there is champagne, classy people and older-styled music, instead of cheap bear and the new style of music. But honestly, people can do what they want and I have no right to judge. Different people enjoy differnet things and I respect that.

Its essentially the same thing except yours involves snobs who love throwing their money around , you've shown yourself to hold quite a superiority complex mate , your no better than anyone else just because you have more money , get that in your head.
Original post by AcronymOfHashtag
And mate, music is subjective, so it genuinely is down to the listener as to what constitutes 'good'. Case in point: I like One Direction. I like the way they look, the way they sound... I've never met them, but I'm certain I'd like the way they smell!

I don't think I'd like how you smell. You sound like you'd smell miserable!

My shampoo and other goods would disagree with you on that one. But on a more serious note, yes, people have preferences and different tastes, in regards to music. It just so happens that my taste is different to the average 17 year-old's taste, therefore, parties would be a boring place for me - with the loud and unmelodic music - But as I said in a previous post, each to their own. I respect your opinion.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Its essentially the same thing except yours involves snobs who love throwing their money around , you've shown yourself to hold quite a superiority complex mate , your no better than anyone else just because you have more money , get that in your head.

Well, okay, maybe I gave you the impression about myself and I would not want to come across like that.
Original post by EatAndRevise
My shampoo and other goods would disagree with you on that one. But on a more serious note, yes, people have preferences and different tastes, in regards to music. It just so happens that my taste is different to the average 17 year-old's taste, therefore, parties would be a boring place for me - with the loud and unmelodic music - But as I said in a previous post, each to their own. I respect your opinion.

Depends on the shampoo. For example, I use original source strawberries and cream, which to me is incredible but not everyone likes it.

Pretty sad that I've reaffirmed the meaning of subjective, despite your clear agreement with me.

To be fair, there's kind of a rule of 5 with all parties containing over 18 year olds. If the majority of attendees are 5 years above or below your age, there's a semi-generational gap and you're likely to enjoy it less.
Reply 25
Hell yeah I'd go. Best way to improve one's social circle.
Recently I went to a party were I dint know 95% of the others and at first i felt awkward but then I got chatting , it was interesting talking to new people :smile: Also the host knew that people that were at the party were from her different social groups so introduced everyone which helped. You most know someone , the host prehaps fairly well or you wouldnt have been invited !! talk to this person , though i did not know most of the people there i did have one of my good friends going aswell which helped. Or if you REALLY dont know anyone ask the host if you can bring someone with you
Reply 27
Original post by Phoebe Joan xo
Recently I went to a party were I dint know 95% of the others and at first i felt awkward but then I got chatting , it was interesting talking to new people :smile: Also the host knew that people that were at the party were from her different social groups so introduced everyone which helped. You most know someone , the host prehaps fairly well or you wouldnt have been invited !! talk to this person , though i did not know most of the people there i did have one of my good friends going aswell which helped. Or if you REALLY dont know anyone ask the host if you can bring someone with you

Hi!
Did you just walk up to groups people while they talk and join in or..?
Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by ΘTheta
Hi!
Did you just walk up to groups people while they talk and join in or..?
Thanks! :biggrin:

When we arrived ( near the start ) not many other people had arrived yet , probably around 15 of us ( party grew to about 35 ) so everyone was standing together so we just stood with them obviously. some people from this initial group left to form smaller groups with other people once the had arrived but once we got talking to some people they stayed with us and there was always someone to talk to.
Dw if your shy at first once you see other people chatting you will feel more comfortable to join in , a couple (not too many) drinks helps aswell Hahaha
I have a engagement party to go to in just over a month. It's my bfs best friend who is getting married(male) and I'm friends with my bfs best friends girlfriend. I want to go because of them and my bfs parents is going to.I want to go but I don't. Because I'm worried about the other girls.! Some of them are single and he knows them, known them for years and there is gunna be a guy there that my bf used to work with and I know that as soon as he sees him he'll walk straight up to him and let go of my hand. That's what I'm worried about. I'm not confident at all, I'm worried my bf will look at another girl or I will just panicky even tho he'll just say hi that's it to the girls. He loves me and I know he does. But me and him have never been to a party and my bf wants me to go with him but I am to worried to go. I'm even getting upset about it.
Lmfao amazing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending