The Student Room Group

Help for a Danish-hoping-to-be-student (first post)

Hello! This is my first post on here, so I'm a bit nervous, but here it goes! :h:

I'm from Denmark and I've just completed the danish gymnasium, which I've been told "Is considered comparable to the overall GCE Advanced level / Scottish Advanced Higher standard" - According to the UK NARIC. My average isn't the greatest but I pasted my grades with at least a "C" or a "7" as we would call it.

I really want to become a paramedic someday, and for some reason it's more appealing for me to study this at an university compared to a profession bachelor here in Denmark. My qualifications aren't too good as I have been working in one of Denmark's largest supermarkets as a Cashier and in Customer support for 4 years (16-20). In someway I can relate this to being a paramedic as I always meet new people in different situations, sometimes they're angry or disappointed and it is my job to help them in anyway possible. But I don't know if this is enough.. :confused:

I have also in mind to take a course in Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology. Do you guys think this will help me in any way? It's nominated to take around 3 months to complete and involves subjects as The living organism, The Skeleton system, The Muscle system, The Nervous system, The Hormone system, The cardiovascular system, The respiratory system, The integumentary system, The digestion system and so on.

From Jonas :smile:
Are you looking to study in the UK? If so I would go on UCAS and look at the entry requirements for the unis to make sure you meet them. If not then you'd have to look at some way of increasing your qualifications.
Learning any A&P is good as it would help you on the course but unless it will give you UCAS credits it would be more for personal growth.
There are also a few places that will employ you whilst studying but not many and they're usually very oversubscribed.

Just be warned it may also be very expensive to study here as I doubt you'd qualify for the fee loans or any financial support.
It may be worth looking at the HCPC and seeing if they would recognise a Denmark paramedic qualification as if they do you could study to be a paramedic in your own country then come over here and gain points towards a degree from what you've already done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hello - Thank you for the answer :smile:!
- I've been looking at the entry requirements for the unis
and been in touch with a wide variety of admission offices
and they said that my education was good enough :smile: I don't think
there's any Anatomy courses in Denmark that gives UCAS points unfortunately.

I know it's very expensive, but I'm very keen on studying in the UK
because the danish Paramedic training is just not as advanced and
academically as yours and it takes in best cases 7 years to become
a certified Paramedic over here!

I was swayed to believe as a EU Citizen I was entitled to enter
the paramedic courses that is NHS founded - as the one in Bournemouth
fx. - Am I wrong or doesn't this apply to me??

Link: http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-degree/paramedic-science/bsc-hons/4981/fees-detail-201509/
To be honest I'm not sure. There's only a few funded courses and who they'll accept for funding varies as Swansea is the only NHS bursary funded course. The rest are agreements so they can make their own rules.

Also, if you can get your C1 driving licence it may be worth looking at the employed courses. The main trusts currently running then are East of England, West Midlands and Scotland. They'll put you through the course whilst you're employed and working for the trust so less of a financial hit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest