The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

1st Year Uni Accommodation at The Uni of Glasgow

Hello, just been offered accommodation at Firhill Court with The Uni of Glasgow. At first I was happy with this but after doing some research I'm starting to panic... I've seen that it's not just Uni of Glasgow Students staying there (people from other Unis/Colleges and even non-students) and I was worried that this might make it difficult to meet people and friends from my own uni? Also I haven't really seen people post about it on here so I'm curious as to what it's actually like to live there? I'm a student coming from North East England so don't really know Glasgow or the best places to be. Would really appreciate any replies on this so I can stop stressing a bit haha, thank you
Reply 1
Well, I'm not even moving into student accommodation. I have a flat lined up in Partick, which is about 20 mins walk from the uni. But I'm not concerned about being unable to make friends or have people to hang out with. I imagine I will meet people from my lectures, classes and at various societies and such. Particularly at these places as presumably they will share similar interests to me. Therefore I am not worrying about this as I don't see myself spending a great deal of time away from the uni, libraries and pubs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by emilie_riley
Hello, just been offered accommodation at Firhill Court with The Uni of Glasgow. At first I was happy with this but after doing some research I'm starting to panic... I've seen that it's not just Uni of Glasgow Students staying there (people from other Unis/Colleges and even non-students)

I'm just curious... Where did you read about it?
Reply 3
Original post by Harksar
Well, I'm not even moving into student accommodation. I have a flat lined up in Partick, which is about 20 mins walk from the uni. But I'm not concerned about being unable to make friends or have people to hang out with. I imagine I will meet people from my lectures, classes and at various societies and such. Particularly at these places as presumably they will share similar interests to me. Therefore I am not worrying about this as I don't see myself spending a great deal of time away from the uni, libraries and pubs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi thanks for your reply. I completely understand what you're saying, however I would quite like to make friends with the people I'm living with and hopefully some of them are from the same uni. I agree I'll be able to make friends in other places, from my course etc, but would still like to have friends who share the same accomidation and uni
Reply 4
Original post by Delenelie
I'm just curious... Where did you read about it?

I read about it online from various websites. Firhill Court is privately rented accomidation through different companies. All this information comes up just by typing it into google, are you curious because you're also staying here?
I read about it online from various websites. Firhill Court is privately rented accomidation through different companies. All this information comes up just by typing it into google, are you curious because you're also staying here?

It's my first choice, but I have a conditional offer so I didn't get any accommodation offers yet.
But if what you're saying is true, I don't know if I want to stay there...
Reply 6
Original post by Delenelie
It's my first choice, but I have a conditional offer so I didn't get any accommodation offers yet.
But if what you're saying is true, I don't know if I want to stay there...

Hi, I've just rang the Accommodation enquirers at Glasgow and they informed me that it's only 40 space in the whole hall that is allocated to non Glasgow Uni Students, so nothing to worry about in respect to that. I also confirmed my place at Firhill and payed my deposit today! I'd just like to know what it's like to live there if any past students are reading this? :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks for starting the thread! I'll be in Firhill as well, and saw the same thing; good to know what proportion will be non-UoG students. Roll on September!
Reply 8
Hi, I've just rang the Accommodation enquirers at Glasgow and they informed me that it's only 40 space in the whole hall that is allocated to non Glasgow Uni Students, so nothing to worry about in respect to that. I also confirmed my place at Firhill and payed my deposit today! I'd just like to know what it's like to live there if any past students are reading this? :smile:

Hey! I paid my deposit for Firhill Court yesterday and have been searching for more people that have too! Glad I found some!
Hey I'm from North England, Yorkshire, and I was offered at place at Glasgow Uni through clearing. Therefore when it came to accommodation I didn't have the biggest choice... I was put in Firhill Court and I too couldn't seem to find out much about it! I've seen that it mostly contains undergraduates, but also has a low percentage of postgraduates and other students from other colleges/ Universities. It also has a lot of international students from the EU which is pretty cool :smile: I'm just confused because It's classed as private halls?
Reply 10
Hi, I got offered a place through clearing so was quite worried at where I'd end up but after looking at photos and reading what other people have posted, it seems like one of the better places. It's close to Murano so we're not missing out on parties but we have a lot nicer facilities. I'm from North Yorkshire and studying Film and Television, Theatre and Sociology by the way :smile:
Reply 11
Also, does anyone know when we get to know our flat number? Would be nice to meet people who I'm actually living with :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Ruby_H
Also, does anyone know when we get to know our flat number? Would be nice to meet people who I'm actually living with :smile:

I found out my flat number and everything but I think it's because I went privately with them because they offered me a place before the Uni accommodation email came through! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Lucymcc
I found out my flat number and everything but I think it's because I went privately with them because they offered me a place before the Uni accommodation email came through! :smile:

I think I'll just hang on till I get there then. I've seen that some other people have tried emailing to find out but wouldn't get told because they'd gone through uni and it took a while for details to process. Thanks anyway though!
Original post by Lucymcc
Hey! I paid my deposit for Firhill Court yesterday and have been searching for more people that have too! Glad I found some!

Hi :smile:! do you know what block number etc you're in yet? I'm in block C i think! What day are you moving in? Not long to go now haha
Original post by Ruby_H
Hi, I got offered a place through clearing so was quite worried at where I'd end up but after looking at photos and reading what other people have posted, it seems like one of the better places. It's close to Murano so we're not missing out on parties but we have a lot nicer facilities. I'm from North Yorkshire and studying Film and Television, Theatre and Sociology by the way :smile:

Hey! I'm so happy I went with Firhill now, like you said close enough to parties but should also be able to go back to a nicer quieter room! haha. I'm studying English Language but not sure what else atm :') also have you been told your block and flat number yet? I'm in block C I think. Not long now!! :smile:
Original post by AlexMartin96
Hey I'm from North England, Yorkshire, and I was offered at place at Glasgow Uni through clearing. Therefore when it came to accommodation I didn't have the biggest choice... I was put in Firhill Court and I too couldn't seem to find out much about it! I've seen that it mostly contains undergraduates, but also has a low percentage of postgraduates and other students from other colleges/ Universities. It also has a lot of international students from the EU which is pretty cool :smile: I'm just confused because It's classed as private halls?

Hi :smile:! From what I've seen/heard Firhill looks really good and I'm really happy I'm staying there now :biggrin: but I'm the same, not quite sure why it's classed as private halls but I know it is still controlled by Glasgow Uni :smile: have you been given your block or flat number yet? When are you planning on moving in? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending