The Student Room Group

My uni experience...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mindless Behavior
I completely understand. I have a lot of friends who are applying for/have gotten into medicine and they constantly talk(ed) about this. And I'm helping my friend figure out which UKCAT unis which use PBL she should apply to based on her grades/ECs etc. I know that all medical schools are good and when applying, you just focus on your strengths/preferences. But seeing as being surrounded by inferior students is stressing OP out so much, he should have used his exceptional grades to go to medical school attached to a better uni. I'm sure there's at least one uni which is more prestigious that OP would have liked.

Thanks for being more understanding.
Honestly this isnt a huge issue since Im going to be moving out next year anyway most likely and I've done fine in my first year.
Reply 81
Original post by Anonymous
Im studying medicine at university and I got A*A*AA in my a levels like other medical students. The problem is that my university isn't the same as others. At my university medicine and dentistry are AAA and require very high academic grades and are both very difficult courses. The rest of the courses at my uni are not at the same level. At all. The average entry requirements at my uni are around BBB-BBC with many getting much lower and their degrees are not as difficult as mine at all(this wouldn't be the case at other unis)
Now, unfortunately for me, my flat didn't have any medical or dental students so I cant really relate to people from the academic standpoint. E.G someone in my flat is studying maths with BBB and asks ME to help them with their work.
In exam time I got in a big argument with a few of them about the amount of noise they were making and stress and anger got the best of me and said a few things I regret. I had a HUGE number of exams and they had like 2 exams and finished almost two weeks before me. Its been a problem throughout the year since my course is a lot more demanding than theirs by all accounts.
Its not only me with this problem, almost every medical/dental student at my uni has the same problem and they also have no idea what to do about it.
Any advice?

No wonder you're having such A bad experience. You are very stuck up aren't you?. 'Huuuuuuhhh I got AAA or something and they got BBB'. Shame on you. People like you actually disgust me thinking you're better than everybody else because of your grades. Grow up.
I could never revise in my room. Too many distractions. If you find your uni Libary to be the same as a social hang out I suggest use the town libary..you won't find any one there..

As for other people in your halls. That's life. You have to learn to compromise and adjust. As for revision I suggest you come up With some sort of revision plan and just focus on getting by each day and forget everything else.
Oh okay so you've don't the exams I read you'd post on finding house Witt your fellow students. Okay then problem solved.
Original post by nohomo
Could you explain this?

If you get A* in A level maths and get through to the international maths olympiad, and somebody else gets a C in A level maths and no award in the senior maths challenge (first round of selection for IMO.

Side tracking, but this may not necessarily be the case, could be quite the opposite, as they're two different styles in approaching their solutions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending