The Student Room Group

Have you / would you lie on your CV?

The tab has run a piece about http://tab.co.uk/2014/07/03/they-are-putting-graduates-in-jail-for-lying-on-their-cv/

The tab has run a piece where 324 people were prosecuted for lying in job interviews last year! Lies included changing a degree classification, A-level results and so on!

Would love to know your thoughts on this!
Lying on your CV is dreadful and the police should take severe action. Throw away the key, I say.

If people are allowed to lie, then the whole value of qualifications is undermined.

Employers simply shouldn't have to be asking every interviewee to provide paper peroof.
This makes the system unfair,
People who lie and would get away with it will bypass those who have taken their time out to do extra curricular activities and worked hard to achieve the grades required,
But then again we live in a Country where it doesn't matter what kind of person you are but is defined by your grades which I find it disgusting, however, lying on your CV is worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, if ever you get caught, you're pissed. Work hard now so that you won't ever have to lie is what I say.
I lie about work experience. I say I've had 2 years of retail and 1 year of child minding.

The reality of the retail lie is that I was pretty much brought up in my parent's businesses so for the first 16 years of my life I spent hours upon hours in a retail environment. I helped my parents with stock, counting money, dealing with customers, and I used to go to warehouses and wholesalers with my dad to get the stock. Because no one would take me seriously if I say exactly what I've said now, I just twist it to make it sound more realistic. "Two years of retail experience" sounds a lot better than "retail experience since birth". :rolleyes:

The reality of the child minding lie is that I've nannied my nephew so much and in the weirdest situations, it's excellent experience and it's exactly what I would do if I were a real nanny, if not more! (I use the term "child minder" on my CV because it just sounds better.) There's been days where I've had to babysit him at the back of my sister's car while she went shopping or whatever. I would entertain him, feed him, change him and put him to sleep there. When he was 4 months old she had to go to some training thing in a hotel for work and I went along to babysit him there. He had colic at the time and because he just would not stop crying my sister didn't want to leave him at home. They gave me a room which was about the size of two toilet cubicles and I had to take care of him there. We call me super nanny because she puts me in the most awkward situations where I take care of him and we always somehow make it out alive. :h: Now she's at work full time so I have basically become his full time nanny as I take care of him for 8-10 hours a day. When employers ask me about it I don't say that he's my nephew.

I would never lie about things that I could get caught for, like things about my education. I do know how to get fake degrees and GCSEs but it's just not worth it. People who make up **** like that are the stupidest liars in the world. If you're going to lie, lie well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Vixen47
If you're going to lie, lie well.

quote of the day!
I said on my CV YER A WIZARD HARREHwait crap wrong fandom
I thought that most people lied on their c.v.'s
Original post by iammeyouareyou
I thought that most people lied on their c.v.'s

Most people embellish and exaggerate there role descriptions to tailor the position there applying for - just remember you've got to back it up well at interview (don't say you can code CSS and HTML when you can't etc they might ask you for a web-page as part of the application process). That's a different ball game to fabricating your qualifications which is wrong on every level.
Lied about working in a garage, got a job working in engine reconditioning.
I wouldn't if there was a slight chance of getting caught. If I was certain to get away with it I probably would, I'm a bad person.
No, honesty and integrity is the best policy.

Bull**** may get you to the top but it won't keep you at the top. Falling from the top will hurt bad especially when you are busted.
Reply 12
Original post by Wilfred Little
Lied about working in a garage, got a job working in engine reconditioning.

Were you ever caught out?
Nooo I would be way too scared. Also I haven't felt the need to :K: everything on my CV is true.
Original post by Armadillo
Were you ever caught out?

No but I left after a few months anyway.
Oh! What A Tangled Web We Weave When First We Practice To Deceive (as a certain Sir W Scott once wrote)

So, leave it off and you can de facto truthfully sign off your application as true and complete. But then your referee returns the form to you, to add on that job that you told them about. Hmm...

Is it a local firm? If so, is it possible that one or more of the grown-ups at college will have used it or at least be aware as to whether it has in fact ceased trading recently?
I would and have lied when I first started my work career.

But these were for basic warehouse jobs as I was encountering the not being able a job to get experience because I have no experience catch 22 scenario.
I don't think I would lie about a job involving a degree though or for that matter any job that is considered skilled.

Quick Reply

Latest