The Student Room Group

What universities do you 'look down upon'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James222
Anything outside
Oxbridge
LSE
Warrick
Kings

im guessing you go to kings
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest

Lmao, exactly what I thought. Strange he didn't put Imperial/UCL up there.
Some Universities are better than others; acknowledging that Oxford is superior to London Met is fine

No need to think London Met students are somehow lesser beings than Oxford students, though
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest

no I went to an ex poly and hated it
Kings is the best in the UK for medicine and careers in foreign office
Original post by StrangeBanana
Some Universities are better than others; acknowledging that Oxford is superior to London Met is fine

No need to think London Met students are somehow lesser beings than Oxford students, though

I agree with this post
Reply 45
Well looking down on some universities is perfectly justified...anything that ends in "met" i will rule out as ****ty.
Nevertheless, i tend to put more emphasis on the course itself than the institution(i.e. medicine at kings>>>classics at oxford). A degree in media, for example,is cr@p and anyone considering it(at ANY uni) should be ashamed of themselves.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by That_Hijabi
I agree with this post

:awesome:
Original post by That_Hijabi
Just wondering

Universities don't really define each individual and employers don't really care where graduates went (except Cambridge or Oxford) so I don't look down upon any.

University rankings and such is pointless it's only the degree and classification that really matters

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim
For example? Also why?

Well if somebody is doing; BA Performance: Comedy Practices. At any uni that's not a great degree, but Law would be useful across the board.
The New College of the Humanities, i.e. A.C. Grayling's experimental private undergraduate college, charging £18,000 per annum tuitions, copy & pasting University of London syllabi, and courting big-name academics in non-teaching posts.
Nevermind.
Reply 51
Original post by James222
no I went to an ex poly and hated it
Kings is the best in the UK for medicine and careers in foreign office

Kings is the best for medicine?
Love to hear your reasoning behind this.
I'm surprised no one has said The Open Uni yet. I don't look down on it but its usually a uni you hear a lot of people mock or here they regard it as an uni for 'thick' people or that its just not a uni at all :/

I don't look down on any uni. Yes, some are better than others but its not a competition. To me, as long as people are learning and will get something out of their course is all that matters rather than how prestigious a uni is.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Lots, it's really unfortunate :frown: I think TSR well and truly converted me into quite the snob.
Original post by Pro Crastination
Lots, it's really unfortunate :frown: I think TSR well and truly converted me into quite the snob.

Same here :frown:

Love your name btw :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
UEL, anything else is good.
moortnedutseht University. Such a terrible uni.
The only one I ever think badly of is London Met and I don't even really know why beyond it seems a bit of a mess. Wasn't there a whole big thing with them and international student visas or something?

I go to an ex-poly. I'm doing Optometry though, and as far as I know we were given some funding/equipment by Specsavers and they really like taking our graduates on.

But other than that, there's some courses where I just... it's not that I don't see the point, I just don't know what you would DO with a media studies degree, no matter if it came from, say, London Met or if it came from somewhere more prestigious, like Edinburgh or something. Whereas something like Law or History, yeah, I can see that there's transferable skills even if you don't work in the direct field. But with media there's, what, advertising? And it generally doesn't have a good reputation. :/
Reply 58
I don't look down on specific universities. Only courses with grade requirements that are lower than ABB and are easy to get into (e.g. more than 40% of applicants get offers). Therefore, I look down on London met as a whole and none of Oxbridge (I got into medicine cambridge where 18% get offers A*AA)
Only my own, I'm not really too fussed about where someone goes to university. I used to be, until I came to university and I met people at the corresponding met that I found more intelligent than some of the people I've met at my university.

Quick Reply

Latest