The Student Room Group

Getting into Cyber security, which degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manitude
The places I've looked at aren't big companies. They're asking for post doctorates because - guess what - NOBODY else is anywhere near qualified for the job. There's virtually no point in hiring someone for a 2-3 year contract if it takes 6+ years to bring them up to speed with the knowledge and skills required to do the job.

wtf you dont need a post doc to work in cyber security ! your probably looking at researchers and the more mathematical research roles.

If a job requires 6 years to train, then they will have at least 4 different stages like analyst and associate which they will recruit for
Original post by tim_123
I understand where your coming from, my main question was really aimed around a more practical degree (which i think greenwhich might be?) or a more theoretical (RHUL?).

As my current/soon to be previous career has no relevance to this area a degree really is the only way for me to go

I would go for greenwhich
Reply 21
Show them you can work outside the box! Careers fairs are good! Hint, Connections!

If you have the equiv of a grad degree.. go for Manchester, Cranfield.. and do a conversion.

M
Reply 22
Original post by marty4k
Show them you can work outside the box! You should be perfect in a sense. Careers fairs are good! Hint, Connections!

If you have the equiv of a grad degree.. go for Manchester, Cranfield.. and do a conversion.

M

PS. I have had interview opportunites with intelligence agencies, never went. And all I have is a crappy degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
I studied Computer Science and graduated in 2013 and managed to land my first job with a Cyber Security firm - however, probably most of the things I've learnt is mostly on my own or someone showing me. I think just having a 'computer' related degree and doing things on your own time, showing that you're actually interested in Cyber Security will be a bonus (employers like this). Good luck.
degrees are not worthless....... obviously you haven't done one...or..... The wrong type..... Maybe you were very lazy
You cannot say degrees are worthless.....They are probably one of the most..... Recognised qualifications around the world, regardless of subjects..... They allow you to go into different areas different professions..... Allow you to continue on to postgraduate.... Vendor certifications don't allow any of that.... Why, because they're not actually qualifications.

And secondly Obviously you didn't do one..... May be did badly.....Probably you don't have much of a clue about what degree is actually do they teach you just more than the subject. Simple as that.

And if you are a student that was partying all the time. You are completely missing the point...... techie people always say this nonsense.... Degrees are worthless you haven't got a clue what you're talking about
You're completely incorrect..... You definitely don't need a postdoctoral degree to work in cyber security......Don't know where you got that information from..... Generally speaking a related bachelors degree..... Usually in computer science...... cyber security....... forensics..... If you want to be a research in a university.... Then yes, a Ph.D. will be required..... Definitely not in industry.

And because it's the IT industry Even if you have several years..... And a vendor neutral certificate security+ you can still get into cyber security
well B.sc computer science (information security) is what you need if you want to make career in cyber security and after finishing it do some certification courses regarding to cyber security which will help you to land on a job.
also go through this article about Best IT Certifications to do , you might like it .

Career Advice: The Best IT Certifications In Demand
hopefully nobody's taking your advice it's relatively worthless
Reply 29
Comsci is an okay degree to get into infosec. A masters in infosec wouldnt be a bad shout either. You will regardless of degree generally not often get into an infosec job without prior experience in IT consulting/IT/networking. Exceptions do of course exist. Some infosec startups hire straight science grads.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending