The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Going to University in London?

What is it like?
Socially - nightlife, people etc? Of course, it's expensive. How do you manage? Just to live in general - how is it?

About the financial thing, if you don't mind sharing, do you survive on family help, loans, jobs, a mixture?
Reply 1
Depends which uni, London's a great city and there's always a bunch of stuff to do. As a northerner, I've absolutely loved the change from Sheffield to London.

For me I went to Imperial 2010-2014. It's not quite the campus university that many others have, but really it's all about the people. You will have to travel further when it comes to London vs other unis, esp Imperial because it's in one of the most expensive boroughs in the country. Halls are great because you're close to uni, but later years for private accom you're looking within 1-3 miles, most people live in Hammersmith (30 min walk to uni/ 15 min cycle).

I had a great bunch of friends in halls and we got up to a load of mischief and fun. It's pretty male dominated tho for a university. Notable: Some Civil Engineers run naked over the millennium bridge every year during the annual bar crawl, boat parties with hall.

Key problem; Cost!!! It's an expensive place to be, I coped fine because I worked in the student bar and got some bursary. Pint will set you back £4, night out £30-50. Pretty much everyone just pre-drinks at halls instead of drinking when out. As long as you're responsible with student loans it shouldn't really be too much of an issue.

Another plus: JOBS! You're in the capital, it's where all the jobs are. Being able to network with the businesses is a massive plus and will help you massively in terms of securing a job. I got the job I really wanted in Prudential.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending