The Student Room Group

Should I tell my new employer I'm leaving for uni in 2 months?

I really need to save up some money for uni. I've just been offered a job at a supermarket. I haven't told them I'm off to uni in Sept as I've been rejected from previous jobs because of this. I said I was on a gap year. I feel really, really bad as they will only just finishing training me (I have around 2 months left at home) and then I'll be handing in my notice and they will have to hire someone else. Should I come clean? Or toughen up...
Reply 1
Take the money! You'll need it in sept

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let them know when you're required to do so by your contract. If you feel bad about it, just say you're not enjoying the job or have been offered something else, no need to tell them you're going to university.
Let them know when you have to - but remember that they may just be able to put you on a zero hours contract and then give you hours when you're home for Christmas.
Reply 4
As long as you won't need them to give you a job reference in future, I'd keep my mouth shut. It's something you should have told them during the selection process and the fact that you've kept quiet this long means that no good will really come of telling them now.

You lied when you told them you were on a gap year, which would be grounds for instant dismissal. Your conscience would lose you your job.
Original post by hellsyeah
I really need to save up some money for uni. I've just been offered a job at a supermarket. I haven't told them I'm off to uni in Sept as I've been rejected from previous jobs because of this. I said I was on a gap year. I feel really, really bad as they will only just finishing training me (I have around 2 months left at home) and then I'll be handing in my notice and they will have to hire someone else. Should I come clean? Or toughen up...

Tell them when you are required to, just say you applied last min and got accepted or something, but as someone else says, you could arrange something with them for holiday work etc.
Reply 6
Thanks guys. I'll let them know in Sept. Hopefully it's only one weeks notice so it's not a horrible atmosphere for too long and I can get out quick!
Say you applied through clearing
What is your contracted period of notice?
If you give less notice they can refuse to pay you in lieu of notice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending