The Student Room Group

Going to Hull Uni as a Mature Student?

Scroll to see replies

Sounds good, see you soon :smile:
Hi, I'm 36 and will be starting nursing in Sept, and to be honest I'm pooing my pants (not literally).
I just think as someone has said before, that I may feel disconnected with some of the younger students as there will be some age gap lol.
Reply 22
Original post by geminirooster
Hello

I'm a (very!) mature student starting a foundation year with History at Hull in September. I already live in Hull and have family and part-time work commitments.
I don't mind admitting to everyone I'm absolutely petrified:eek:
Would love to chat with anyone in the same boat for some mutual moral support.

Hi am not classed as very mature at 24 but I do have a 4year old so know about family comments. I am feeling scared to having g to juggle family, commuting and study. What course are you studying? Will be nice to talk to another parent.
Original post by kimd12
Hi am not classed as very mature at 24 but I do have a 4year old so know about family comments. I am feeling scared to having g to juggle family, commuting and study. What course are you studying? Will be nice to talk to another parent.

Hello, I'm doing History with foundation year first. My youngest is 10 years old so sure going to be a challenge with childcare and p/t time work but hopefully will be worth it. I'm 45 :eek: so expecting to be especially feeling like a fish out of water!x
Reply 24
Original post by geminirooster
Hello, I'm doing History with foundation year first. My youngest is 10 years old so sure going to be a challenge with childcare and p/t time work but hopefully will be worth it. I'm 45 :eek: so expecting to be especially feeling like a fish out of water!x

Am sure you will be fine give yourself time to get use to everything sou Dawson like it will be fun and you can incorporate your kids with your studying might be fun. Hope you enjoy it.:smile:
Original post by Braunshock
Hi, I'm 36 and will be starting nursing in Sept, and to be honest I'm pooing my pants (not literally).
I just think as someone has said before, that I may feel disconnected with some of the younger students as there will be some age gap lol.

Hi Braunshock, which branch of nursing have you chosen?. All things being well I am starting mental health nursing in September.
Original post by Flower4Power
Hi Braunshock, which branch of nursing have you chosen?. All things being well I am starting mental health nursing in September.

I'm starting adult, but I went for Mental health too and got an offer on that as well....
Original post by Braunshock
I'm starting adult, but I went for Mental health too and got an offer on that as well....

Good to have the choice ! Adult nursing gives you a broader range of career options later on. We will be on the same courses for the first semester anyway. Do you live locally at the moment ?
I feel like I should be doing nursing instead of chemistry!
I haven't found anyone doing my course yet...
How is everyone feeling now regarding the start of your course?
Reply 29
Original post by Chad Campbell
I feel like I should be doing nursing instead of chemistry!
I haven't found anyone doing my course yet...
How is everyone feeling now regarding the start of your course?

I was feeling that way but nursing is just not for me nice to see some else doing chemistry your not along :biggrin:
Original post by kimd12
I was feeling that way but nursing is just not for me nice to see some else doing chemistry your not along :biggrin:

Are you doing chemistry at Hull too?
Reply 31
Are you doing chemistry at Hull too?

Yea I am doing analytical with toxicology and a year in industry how bout you?
I am doing chemistry with a foundation year. Not sure which road to take chemistry wise at the end of the foundation year. I think the road will pave itself tbh. Are you a mature student?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just read your profile so answered my own question really.
Do you live in Hull at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Just read your profile so answered my own question really.
Do you live in Hull at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I live just over the bridge in Grimsby so will be commuting everyday, how about you do you live in hull?
Original post by kimd12
No I live just over the bridge in Grimsby so will be commuting everyday, how about you do you live in hull?

No I used to live near Bristol, then moved to Tadcaster to be closer to Hull. I move across there on the 22nd Sept. Is it ok to PM you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
No I used to live near Bristol, then moved to Tadcaster to be closer to Hull. I move across there on the 22nd Sept. Is it ok to PM you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea it's fine to pm me, where bouts in hull you moving to?
Original post by kimd12
Yea it's fine to pm me, where bouts in hull you moving to?

Sent you some messages...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am mature student at Hull, about to start my final year of my History degree.

I am 37 and haven't found any problem with making friends with some of the younger students and I am a shy person as well so I wouldn't worry about that aspect at all.

There is also plenty of other mature students there too, history seems to attract a healthy amount of us oldies.
Original post by Charliemouse
I am mature student at Hull, about to start my final year of my History degree.

I am 37 and haven't found any problem with making friends with some of the younger students and I am a shy person as well so I wouldn't worry about that aspect at all.

There is also plenty of other mature students there too, history seems to attract a healthy amount of us oldies.

That's a huge relief to hear! Did you do a foundation year first or was you already good enough to 'dive straight in'?! And well done 3 or 4 years must seem a long way off when starting, now in the final year your goal is in sight :smile: What area are you hoping to work when graduated?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending