The Student Room Group

Going to Hull Uni as a Mature Student?

Hello was wondering if anyone else on here is going to Hull as a mature student? Would be nice to talk about it and gauge what to do, where to live etc. thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm off to Hull as a mature student mate (29). I'll still be living back in Beverley though, wouldn't be able to concentrate living in halls, nearly past the 'partying' stage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello pal,
I'm currently looking at renting a one bedroomed in Hull near the uni, don't think I could face halls either. What are you studying and how do you feel about it all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Not too bad mate. Nah I live in Beverley nearby so I figured I'd get train or bus in. Yeah looking foward to it. Did an access course last year so I'm all prepared for the work ahead. Doing psychology with Criminology mate. What about you?
I'm doing chemistry with a foundation year... Done an access to combined studies last year. I'm looking forward to it too. I was in Beverly not long ago it's nice there. How long would it take on public transport to get to the uni from Beverly? My names chad by the way, I'm in bridgwater at the minute, ****hole near Bristol. Moving to my mums in Leeds in 5 weeks.
What's Hull like as a city?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's Hull like as a city?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I moved to the area 6 years ago, I find Hull a rather friendly place, and everything feels human-size! Plenty of night life not far from uni, bars, cafes and all that, and the Student Union seems to be rather well regarded for their entertainment provisions, although I am a bit passed clubbing. Quite easy to go around by bike as well as it is all on the flat. There is no shortage of shops/supermarkets for part-time jobs, and it is sort of all on your door-step
The student union runs a mature students group, which organises a lunch in freshers' week. I was just having a chat recently with a mature student from Hull, she told me that she has had more contacts with the people she met on the group than with other students on her course.

PS: all things being well I'll start a nursing degree in September, waiting for the exam results.
Reply 6
You've done well there, brilliant 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Haha love it! You diss Hull, you diss me ha
Hello

I'm a (very!) mature student starting a foundation year with History at Hull in September. I already live in Hull and have family and part-time work commitments.
I don't mind admitting to everyone I'm absolutely petrified:eek:
Would love to chat with anyone in the same boat for some mutual moral support.
Original post by geminirooster
Hello

I'm a (very!) mature student starting a foundation year with History at Hull in September. I already live in Hull and have family and part-time work commitments.

Hello... I'm a bit anxious about it all too. Looking forward to it loads though. I'm moving to Leeds on Sunday to live with my parents again before going to Hull in September. That's more nerve racking I reckon! I'm always available to talk so keep in touch.
I'm looking forward to it, my problem is that I'm worrying that I won't make many friends because a) I'm not staying in halls and b) I'm 29, so may have a tough time trying to relate with some of the people on my course who may be you get than me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smiler84
I'm looking forward to it, my problem is that I'm worrying that I won't make many friends because a) I'm not staying in halls and b) I'm 29, so may have a tough time trying to relate with some of the people on my course who may be you get than me

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be your friend mate don't you worry about that. PM and well organise meeting up for a coffee or something? I think well all be fine.
Original post by Chad Campbell
I'll be your friend mate don't you worry about that. PM and well organise meeting up for a coffee or something? I think well all be fine.

Cheers mate, I'll do that lad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Chad
Thanks for reply, it's certainly daunting to say the least! Nice to know there's others in the same boat :smile:
Hello

I am not that petrified but I think your excitement will dissipate nearer to the time. Glad to hear that there's a few mature students going. I don't feel alone loo 😊
Hello

I've finally found someone doing the same course as me! I guess i'm not in the same boat as you as im 19 haha, but like you i am also petrified! Especially because i live in plymouth, devon so i'll be really far away from home!
Original post by LaurenCostelloe
I've finally found someone doing the same course as me! I guess i'm not in the same boat as you as im 19 haha, but like you i am also petrified! Especially because i live in plymouth, devon so i'll be really far away from home!

aaaw, Bless you Lauren. Well one small advantage I have is that I already live in this wonderful city and will be happy to tell you all about it. Sure you'll soon get to know all the fellow students on the same course, as will I. But if there's anything you need to know, or want to inbox me about anything or even meet up for a coffee when term starts (I'm not that ancient lol, and we are doing history right?!) just say the word :smile:
Yeah i'm doing history aswell :smile: I've heard nothing but good things about Hull which is good news haha! I'll be living in halls so thats a good way to meet new people :smile: And yeah i'll gladly meet up for a coffee with you :smile:
That sounds like a plan, well I'll have a chat with you nearer the time, looking forward to seeing some sort of timetable to work with. Sure you've loads to sort out in the meantime, but have a great summer break :smile:

Debbie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending