The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying for Oxford if my predictions meet, but poor AS maths grade?

Ok I just went to an Oxford open day and went to an Economics and Management speech.

I'd like to study economics at a top uni.
The woman said that they place far more emphasis on your AS results than your A-level predictions. I am likely to get A,A,A,B at AS with a B in maths. However, I will be getting predicted A at A-level maths (as required to study E&M) as I will be retaking Core 1&2 (67% of course). I only did 45 minutes revision for Core 2 maths as I had 5 exams in 4 days and failed to plan ahead, so J neglected maths as I had to skip one and was fuetherst from learning it.

So even if I have been predicted the grades they want, probably A*,A,A (and I presume mention that I am retaking 67% of it?), will they automatically be put off as a result of my B grade math at AS, even if I plan on making it an A- is it a waste of an application spot?

Perhaps I could wait till I get my A2 results back and do that thing when you apply for a more competitive uni based upon you exceeding your offer, althought I will still probably have A*AA offers from unis, just ones with less strong maths requirements to Study economics.

Thanks for your help.
Reply 1
Original post by Beta Phaggot
Ok I just went to an Oxford open day and went to an Economics and Management speech.

I'd like to study economics at a top uni.
The woman said that they place far more emphasis on your AS results than your A-level predictions. I am likely to get A,A,A,B at AS with a B in maths. However, I will be getting predicted A at A-level maths (as required to study E&M) as I will be retaking Core 1&2 (67% of course). I only did 45 minutes revision for Core 2 maths as I had 5 exams in 4 days and failed to plan ahead, so J neglected maths as I had to skip one and was fuetherst from learning it.

So even if I have been predicted the grades they want, probably A*,A,A (and I presume mention that I am retaking 67% of it?), will they automatically be put off as a result of my B grade math at AS, even if I plan on making it an A- is it a waste of an application spot?

Perhaps I could wait till I get my A2 results back and do that thing when you apply for a more competitive uni based upon you exceeding your offer, althought I will still probably have A*AA offers from unis, just ones with less strong maths requirements to Study economics.

Thanks for your help.

Honestly I'd say probably not. What you've achieved is what they go on and while retakes are allowed, I got the impression they would much rather not.
Saying that you have 5 options and excluding Oxbridge and medicine I only know 1 person who didnt get 5 offers and she got 4. So there's nothing to lose in trying.
In reference to your last suggestion Oxbridge and lots of Russel group unis don't enter adjustment so you couldnt do that. You'd have to reapply after a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Going to move this in the Oxford section so you can hopefully get a few more responses :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Ah oh well, looks like I may be applying for Law instead as the subject I would drop otherwise (politics) I'm likely to get an A* prediction and A at AS as opposed to a mediocre B. My fault for having 2 exams the next day and no prior revision, this is my first time I've had to organize my time properly (dossed through GCSEs)

Original post by Changing Skies
Going to move this in the Oxford section so you can hopefully get a few more responses :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, get confused by the load of sections here, I'm still learning.

Edit: can I change my username? I made this as some sort of account to PM and troll my friends a while back, but after realising it was actually a well established and useful forum I decided to post here for advice instead.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's always worth a shot. At the end of the day, it's one spot of five on your application. Oxford I believe have their tests prior to deciding who gets an interview, so that could help you if you scored well on whatever one you would have. I applied to Cambridge as Oxford wasn't an option for me so I'm not so familiar with their application process apart from through friends.
Original post by Beta Phaggot
Ah oh well, looks like I may be applying for Law instead as the subject I would drop otherwise (politics) I'm likely to get an A* prediction and A at AS as opposed to a mediocre B. My fault for having 2 exams the next day and no prior revision, this is my first time I've had to organize my time properly (dossed through GCSEs)

Thanks, get confused by the load of sections here, I'm still learning.

Edit: can I change my username? I made this as some sort of account to PM and troll my friends a while back, but after realising it was actually a well established and useful forum I decided to post here for advice instead.

Don't worry, most do :h:

Hmm, it's usually only allowed in certain circumstances, i.e. if your username contains personal information such as your name. However, I'd advise looking at this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1329589, click on Ask a Section Leader and post a thread explaining your username issue. I can't promise they'll accept it as a valid enough reason but there's no harm in trying :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could apply to cambridge, while oxford reject most pre interview, cam accepts the majority to interview. However its sort of a catch22 as Cambridge puts more emphasis on AS results (particularly module scores), so you would need to do especially well in an interview or an admissions test (and there is still no guarantee you'll get an interview).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending