The Student Room Group

Anthropology - Oxford, UCL or LSE?

Between Social Anthropology at Oxford/LSE and Social and Cultural Anthropology at UCL, which one do you recommend?

I have talked to a few people, one of them from the area, and I heard that, although all three are world top 10, UCL stands out, because it has a more "professional" track, and overall the department is more diverse than the others.

Any thoughts on this?
Reply 1
I am looking at social anthropology too!
What I have heard (don't know whether it's true or not) is that LSE is not a very friendly place so I have been advised to look elsewhere.
I might apply to oxford, but the degree course is combined with archeology that seems to be the major part of it in at least the first year!
As for UCL I don't really know about it, but I was looking at SOAS in London because it's such a multi-cultural university and it is ranked among the top for anthropology! Plus you can combine your degree with a language, and they have most African and Asian languages!
And most importantly, it depends what grades you got at AS, what your predictions are and how good your personal statement is!
That's all I know! If you want, inbox me! Liv x
Original post by LivK
What I have heard (don't know whether it's true or not) is that LSE is not a very friendly place so I have been advised to look elsewhere.
I might apply to oxford, but the degree course is combined with archeology that seems to be the major part of it in at least the first year!
As for UCL I don't really know about it, but I was looking at SOAS in London because it's such a multi-cultural university and it is ranked among the top for anthropology! Plus you can combine your degree with a language, and they have most African and Asian languages!
And most importantly, it depends what grades you got at AS, what your predictions are and how good your personal statement is!

Hi Liv! I have already graduated; I'm interested in doing a master program! SOAS is a nice place to study anthropology, but Oxford and UCL normally have the edge in this subject (more research), so I'm focused on this two. But anyway, thank you for your attention! And good luck! :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by MichelBraga
Hi Liv! I have already graduated; I'm interested in doing a master program! SOAS is a nice place to study anthropology, but Oxford and UCL normally have the edge in this subject (more research), so I'm focused on this two. But anyway, thank you for your attention! And good luck! :wink:

Hi :smile: ops, major mistake, sorry! :')
Did you study anthropology for your degree? What uni were you at?
Original post by LivK
Hi :smile: ops, major mistake, sorry! :')
Did you study anthropology for your degree? What uni were you at?

It's ok!

I studied IR and I'm from Brazil.
Reply 5
Original post by LivK

Hi there, I am currently a third year student at LSE studying social anthropology. I just want to assure you that the department is in no way characteristically unfriendly. Obviously you can't guarantee a particular experience anywhere you go but my personal experiences of anthropology at the LSE have been overwhelmingly positive. Great opportunities to meet and talk to people across all age sets; wonderfully passionate and engaged staff; and a real good mix of students. It's a really small department which makes it special - the rest of LSE can seem unfriendly at times but the anthropologists carve a nice little space for themselves which is great to be a part of! *Any questions - let me know, Jade.
If you get in, LSE duh.
If I'm honest, for any subject if I got an offer for Oxford I'd take it. I'd argue UCL is London's premier university, so that would be second. Depends if you love Oxford or London?
Normally UCL and Oxford are the best for Anthropology, just check the staff from both, but SOAS has a really cool department, I was really impressed by the amount of research they are developing. LSE is good option as well, but the curriculum is limited compared to the variety of options available at SOAS and UCL, for instance.

Quick Reply

Latest