The Student Room Group

Does Cambridge University value experience over grades?

I'm 17 & I have currently finished my As levels and am hoping to get at least AABB this year and AAA overall for my A levels and take Physics, Maths, Biology and Product design (planning on dropping this one next year). I am currently doing an astronomy research project at Carnegie observatory California and will soon be a collaborative author on a paper that analyses the chemical abundance on what we believe is the most metal poor star currently found in the galactic bulge, using spectral lines that I have measured. Basically i was wondering if this project will be enough to compensate for my A-level grades when applying to Cambridge University and if it is unheard of for someone with AAA to be accepted.
Thank you to anyone for help with this question :smile:
Original post by Haribo-fan
I'm 17 & I have currently finished my As levels and am hoping to get at least AABB this year and AAA overall for my A levels and take Physics, Maths, Biology and Product design (planning on dropping this one next year). I am currently doing an astronomy research project at Carnegie observatory California and will soon be a collaborative author on a paper that analyses the chemical abundance on what we believe is the most metal poor star currently found in the galactic bulge, using spectral lines that I have measured. Basically i was wondering if this project will be enough to compensate for my A-level grades when applying to Cambridge University and if it is unheard of for someone with AAA to be accepted.
Thank you to anyone for help with this question :smile:

Whilst your experience will certainly help in PS/interview, it is highly unlikely they'll make an exception on grades, and (assuming you're applying for Phys NatSci) the offer will still most likely be A*AA
Reply 2
Experience is valuable and your project definitely sounds interesting but you still need the baseline entry requirement. One of the reasons is that most people will not have the opportunity to undertake research projects or work experience. If you look at the stats almost no one was admitted with below A*AA and those that were probably had extenuating circumstances.
A point to note: The minimum offer for Science subjects has, I believe, been increased to A*A*A.
I think it is very unlikely that they would make an exception when the science standard offer is A*A*A.
Reply 5
I thought so :s-smilie: thank you for the help though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not when the offer is A*A*A, but AAA will still get you into an excellent university. Oxbridge certainly isn't the be-all and end-all.
Reply 7
Yh I'm hoping to apply to places such as Durham, UCL ect, do you think it's still worth applying to Cambridge or should I not bother?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh I'm hoping to apply to places such as Durham, UCL ect, do you think it's still worth applying to Cambridge or should I not bother?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why don't you see on Results Day? You might be pleasantly surprised by your grades...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it's worth the added stress...you'd have to have a lot in order before October 15th and maybe interviews and supplements to prepare for afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if your UMS is ~85%+ and you're on course to get an A* in one of your subjects then it is definitely worth applying. If not, it may still be worth applying but your chances will be quite low.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending