The Student Room Group

Two dads meet their newborn son

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Limpopo
Clearly and that is because it is much more prevalent and the norm. We have no idea yet what will happen as a result of children born due to homosexual sperm donation to a surrogate. It is likely becoming more prevalent thats for sure. Who will have custody of such a child if/when the relationship fails?

This is hardly the first case of a child being raised on this way - there have been various studies into the effects same-sex parenting has on children etc. I'm not sure why the custody comment is relevant - That would be case by case, surely?
Original post by lucaf
most disturbing thing is the baby, it is so slimy...

That's what they look like when they emerge. He probably hasn't been cleaned as midwives usually don't wipe them down until after skin to skin to help establish the bond.
Reply 82
Original post by Freudian Slip
Because...?

It just looks wrong. I mean the woman is there in the background looking tired after giving birth and there are two naked men holding a new born baby. It's far from cute.
Original post by stargirl63
Gay adoption is too new to actually see what it does to the child in the long term. Let's see.

Plenty of studies have looked at the effects of gay parenting where the gay people have had their own natural children through surrogates or artificial insemination or just having sex with someone of the opposite sex purely for the purpose of having a child. This has been going on for years.

Just because there's nothing wrong about something, doesn't necessarily make it right.

No, but if you want to argue that it's wrong, you need a reason.

This is my opinion, so I don't need replies to my post. Thanks.

The fact that it's your opinion doesn't mean you don't need replies. Your opinion is now open to criticism, as you decided to share it in a debate.
Original post by Nissie1
It just looks wrong. I mean the woman is there in the background looking tired after giving birth and there are two naked men holding a new born baby. It's far from cute.

Only, neither of them are naked, they're shirtless and my understanding is this is what usually happens in surrogate births - though, please do correct me if I'm wrong. The fathers have attended so that they are the first to hold the newborn.
I think these photos would look weird regardless of the gender of the parents. In a regular situation it wouldn't look anywhere near as odd. For instance, when I see Neil Patrick Harris & his partner with their children I don't think anything of it because they aren't topless & crying.
Reply 86
Only, neither of them are naked, they're shirtless and my understanding is this is what usually happens in surrogate births - though, please do correct me if I'm wrong. The fathers have attended so that they are the first to hold the newborn.

So it looks completely normal to you?
Original post by shadowdweller
Again, I understand that's your ideal, but why should that make a difference to the situation, unless male/female parenting is actually shown to be optimum?

What's your basic for the psychological/social issues comment?

I don't think wanting children is a particularly new found aspiration.

Well i do agree that we are in uncharted waters and so we dont really know but we do have the knowledge of past human existence which may lend support to a male/female committed relationship being optimal.

Who knows, in a hundred year that may seem so yesterday . We may live in more enlightened times whereby for example, single males with a desire to have a child will simply squirt into a test tube, send it off and pick their selected breeding female from a website,having the baby delivered by UPS in 9 months time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by minimarshmallow
Plenty of studies have looked at the effects of gay parenting where the gay people have had their own natural children through surrogates or artificial insemination or just having sex with someone of the opposite sex purely for the purpose of having a child. This has been going on for years.

No, but if you want to argue that it's wrong, you need a reason.

Thing is, unless the study has been going on for generations, eg seeing how the child grows up in it's 30's,40's and 50's and perhaps even the generation after that, the studies are pretty new. A simple study of "this is how the child is in adolescence" really isn't enough to shed a wide eye on the situation.

Based on what those studies come out with - eg "gay adoption, 2 generations on", I can form an argument if I think it's wrong. At this present moment in time, I believe gay adoption is "not wrong".
Original post by shadowdweller
This is hardly the first case of a child being raised on this way - there have been various studies into the effects same-sex parenting has on children etc. I'm not sure why the custody comment is relevant - That would be case by case, surely?

There is the charade of case by case now but generally the female "wins"..i'll go educated myself on those studies when i have a little more time.
Original post by Nissie1

Yes, it does.
I hope the kid doesn't get bullied.
Awesome, adorable picture.
Reply 93
Yes, it does.

Okay we'll never agree on this so let's end it here
Okay I just want to know from where did that baby come from.

Sure the title should read two dad and one mother???????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who is actual biological father?
Original post by universal_set
Who is actual biological father?
Theoretically it could be anyone,just as in a male/female relationship. Im guessing these guys dont want to know.
However, the child is, almost always, (depending on the circumstances of their birth), placed onto the bare chest of their mother. This skin-to-skin contact or so-called 'Kangaroo Care' has moved forwards in popularity in recent times, there's any number of articles related to its benefits online.

Define 'normal couple'? :lolwut:

adjective
1. conforming to the standard or the common type

A gay couple is not a normal couple. This is a fact. The issue isn't over normal but over whether this is good. This is not the normal way to raise a child, doesn't mean it can't be good.
Original post by Nissie1

Nothing involving childbirth and what happens directly after is ever going to look normal.
Yes, it does.

Then you're lying. It isn't normal... Good? Yeh probably, the child looks like it'll be brought up in a loving home. Normal? Not at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending