The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Women need looks to get attention in sports

I keep noticing women only get attention in sports due to their looks and lifestyle rather than their skills in sports. No one will watch beach volleyball if it were not for their looks.

Tennis is another good example, women are not the best human tennis players yet they get more attention than the men if they are good looking.

Anna Kournikova was not a great tennis player but she got all the attention because of her looks, and she milked it. A good-looking male tennis player will never get the attention as she did, unless he had great tennis skills.
Both Women and men will watch a good-looking women with little skill play tennis.

A top female model earns 7 times more than a top male model.I guess this is why men tend to excel in society, because looks will not get men far in life compared to women, so men must work harder and stand out. Men go into the world and become great inventors, scientist, singers, artist, set up all the big companies.

Women use their looks and milk it to get fame and money but as soon as they get old and not in demand they cry sexism and make a fuss how they are just window dressing.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You seem to be surprised by this news OP? :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Also in the news today: When the sun goes down it's nighttime.
Reply 3
Original post by Lontttt530

Women use their looks and milk it to get fame and money but as soon as they get old and not in demand they cry sexism and make a fuss how they are just window dressing.

This I can agree with.

If you made a career out of looks and then lose them, that's life. Would you keep on a taxi driver who couldn't drive any more..?
Reply 4
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
You seem to be surprised by this news OP? :rolleyes:

The BBC and sky should stop giving women attention just because of their looks, it should be judged on best person with skills.

Example, of 5 mins interview is given for a male tennis player than only 10 seconds should be given to female tennis player interview.

W omens games should not be promoted equally since they do not have equal skills, top female players are not on the level as top male players.

We don't promote womens football equally because the skills they have is 3rd rate compared to men, and this should be the same in all sports.

Lets stop political correctness and celebrate best human and skills.
It's always been this way?
Did you see the Williams sisters ?
Didnt read but regarding the title you are right for the most part.
Its called pr.
They more attractive you are the more endorsement deals and publicity you will get etc
It's true, I think there are two parts to this, one involves male sexism the other involves what a female audience wants.

The sexist part is the media portrayal. Most of the sports media is male and prioritises male sports, there is some sexism there involved in taking women's sports less seriously and portraying it through a male banter perspective: female athletes are described in terms of their looks "stunning blonde" etc whereas you don't get male football journalists saying stuff like "the dark smouldering Ronaldo" as their readership would say wtf? When Martina Navratilova was relentlessly dominating female tennis she never got the same profile as say Federer or Nadal, she was just grudgingly respected.

The other part is the marketing and endorsements side, and this really determines a sportsperson's earning opportunities. This isn't really about sexism it's about the customer base. The top endorsements in men's sports go to the best athletes, regardless of looks. In football you get guys like Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben who are hardly lookers in any book, landing top contracts for football boots and kit, because the male audience that the sponsors are targeting is influenced by associating the products with the best players. If you had an average male player who was good looking, he just wouldn't get looked at by sponsors. In female sports there are a lot more endorsement opportunities for an attractive female sports player because the women who are being targeted by the sponsors are probably less judging the women on her sporting achievement but on her looks and wanting to feel like they will look better if they use the same products. That might be driven by wider attitudes in society where women feel more pressure to be good looking but that's a separate point. Advertisers and sponsors are just reacting to those female attitudes.

Female athletes and their agents know this and they play on their looks because they know its a route to earning opportunities that just aren't there for good looking male athletes unless they are top class sports stars.
Reply 9
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I.

"The sexist part is the media portrayal. Most of the sports media is male and prioritises male sports, there is some sexism there involved in taking women's sports less seriously"

You are a fool bringing sexism into this.
Women's sports not taken seriously because it is 2nd rate, they are not the most fastest, skilled humans! they are 2nd best.

In the same away, amateur level sports are no given tv air because it is not good as professional level.
Reply 10

You are a fool bringing sexism into this.
Women's sports not taken seriously because it is 2nd rate

Evidently no sexism involved :borat:
Original post by Old_Simon
Did you see the Williams sisters ?

Serena got that nice body :biggrin:
Is it any coincidence most women finds the most famous sportsmen attractive?
I keep noticing women only get attention in sports due to their looks and lifestyle rather than their skills in sports. No one will watch beach volleyball if it were not for their looks.

Tennis is another good example, women are not the best human tennis players yet they get more attention than the men if they are good looking.

Anna Kournikova was not a great tennis player but she got all the attention because of her looks, and she milked it. A good-looking male tennis player will never get the attention as she did, unless he had great tennis skills.
Both Women and men will watch a good-looking women with little skill play tennis.

A top female model earns 7 times more than a top male model.I guess this is why men tend to excel in society, because looks will not get men far in life compared to women, so men must work harder and stand out. Men go into the world and become great inventors, scientist, singers, artist, set up all the big companies.

Of course NO women has done any of the things in bold. Also you seem to suggest people only watch female sports because of their looks which in a lot of cases is not true. Sure, I find Maria Sharapova attractive but do I watch her play only because of this, of course not, I watch her because she is one of the best tennis players in the world. You also seem to think that people only watch male sports because of the sporting prowess which again clearly is not true. I hear a lot of girls saying the reason they watch Cristiano Ronaldo play football is because he is good looking, his skill as a footballer is not the main reason why they watch him as you suggest. Also you seem to suggest that an average man will get further in society than a supermodel, again not true. If that was the case I don't think you would be spending your time ranting about women on TSR
It's true, I think there are two parts to this, one involves male sexism the other involves what a female audience wants.

The sexist part is the media portrayal. Most of the sports media is male and prioritises male sports, there is some sexism there involved in taking women's sports less seriously and portraying it through a male banter perspective: female athletes are described in terms of their looks "stunning blonde" etc whereas you don't get male football journalists saying stuff like "the dark smouldering Ronaldo" as their readership would say wtf? When Martina Navratilova was relentlessly dominating female tennis she never got the same profile as say Federer or Nadal, she was just grudgingly respected.

The other part is the marketing and endorsements side, and this really determines a sportsperson's earning opportunities. This isn't really about sexism it's about the customer base. The top endorsements in men's sports go to the best athletes, regardless of looks. In football you get guys like Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben who are hardly lookers in any book, landing top contracts for football boots and kit, because the male audience that the sponsors are targeting is influenced by associating the products with the best players. If you had an average male player who was good looking, he just wouldn't get looked at by sponsors. In female sports there are a lot more endorsement opportunities for an attractive female sports player because the women who are being targeted by the sponsors are probably less judging the women on her sporting achievement but on her looks and wanting to feel like they will look better if they use the same products. That might be driven by wider attitudes in society where women feel more pressure to be good looking but that's a separate point. Advertisers and sponsors are just reacting to those female attitudes.

Female athletes and their agents know this and they play on their looks because they know its a route to earning opportunities that just aren't there for good looking male athletes unless they are top class sports stars.

Martina Navratilova, and indeed any female tennis star, is objectively not as good as the best male tennis player; indeed, they wouldn't even make it into the top 300 of the men's rankings. If you think about it from that perspective, it's entirely fair that Federer/Nadal get as many laurels as they do, but Navratilova gets less - and to be honest, she got a heck of a lot more than whoever the bloke was at 300th on the men's rankings at that time.

If you look at an actual field where a woman has displayed clear objective dominance over both genders, they tend to get just as much - if not more - respect and media coverage than men. They only achieve this rarely, though. One example I can think of is Gail Trimble from University Challenge a few years ago. Yes, there were a few people going on about how bangin' she was (not that there weren't equally many saying the same of Guttenplan the year after . . .), but on the whole she was lauded heavily by the media. Hell, she got given the nickname 'the human Google' and was being reported as one of the cleverest people in Britain.
So do men. How else do you explain Rooney being so marketable? Certainly isn't his talent.
Original post by ClickItBack
Martina Navratilova, and indeed any female tennis star, is objectively not as good as the best male tennis player; indeed, they wouldn't even make it into the top 300 of the men's rankings. If you think about it from that perspective, it's entirely fair that Federer/Nadal get as many laurels as they do, but Navratilova gets less - and to be honest, she got a heck of a lot more than whoever the bloke was at 300th on the men's rankings at that time.

If you look at an actual field where a woman has displayed clear objective dominance over both genders, they tend to get just as much - if not more - respect and media coverage than men. They only achieve this rarely, though. One example I can think of is Gail Trimble from University Challenge a few years ago. Yes, there were a few people going on about how bangin' she was (not that there weren't equally many saying the same of Guttenplan the year after . . .), but on the whole she was lauded heavily by the media. Hell, she got given the nickname 'the human Google' and was being reported as one of the cleverest people in Britain.

Really?

Athletic women in good shape are typically attractive? Well I never.
We use the word 'fit' to describe good looking people for a reason.
Evidently no sexism involved :borat:

But women's sport is second-rate. There's no getting away from that. The main reason why women's sport gets less coverage is because it's nowhere near as good.

You could make a case that the number of women tennis matches shown at Wimbledon is disproportionate to the skill level of the women. After all, practically every single man at Wimbledon is better than the best woman tennis player.

Latest