The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Applying to York for 2015

Hi!
So who is applying for York for 2015, and what degree? I've applied for History and Politics!

Connect to University of York here. You'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm hoping to apply for Maths and Philosophy (although History and Archaeology is probably really interesting too!)
Did you go to an open day?
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by between7and8
Hi! I'm hoping to apply for Maths and Philosophy (although History and Archaeology is probably really interesting too!)
Did you go to an open day?

Hi! I'd love to go to one, but sadly I live in Northern Ireland so it's not easy for me :frown: BUT my parent is hunting at us going to take a look around in November :smile:
Have you been to one?
(Philosophy sounds interesting; not sure about maths though!)
Haha I get a lot of comments from people who don't like maths :smile:
I went to the open day on the 2nd of July and I really liked it! If you've got any questions about it go ahead.
In general I was surprised by the campus because it's pretty green and a nice size. They're building a huge extension which is really impressive but a bit out of the way from the main campus, no idea if it's more quiet during term-time. I have no idea about History/Archaeology but the staff we spoke to were really helpful too.
They have plenty of different roo ms and basically they're classed by age of the building (newer=more expensive). If you want I can look at my notes and tell you which ones were nicer.
I'm applying for computer science :biggrin:
Reply 5
Economics/Politics. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Haha I get a lot of comments from people who don't like maths :smile:
I went to the open day on the 2nd of July and I really liked it! If you've got any questions about it go ahead.
In general I was surprised by the campus because it's pretty green and a nice size. They're building a huge extension which is really impressive but a bit out of the way from the main campus, no idea if it's more quiet during term-time. I have no idea about History/Archaeology but the staff we spoke to were really helpful too.
They have plenty of different roo ms and basically they're classed by age of the building (newer=more expensive). If you want I can look at my notes and tell you which ones were nicer.

My prospectus came in the post the other day. It looks so good, but I've fierce competition; for every 1 place on the history course, on average 6 apply :frown:

Original post by sarcasmrules
I'm applying for computer science :biggrin:

That's kinda like icy, right? I don't know about that stuff :wink:

Original post by NikolaT
Economics/Politics. :biggrin:

Politics?! I might apply for that with history!
Original post by CescaD96
My prospectus came in the post the other day. It looks so good, but I've fierce competition; for every 1 place on the history course, on average 6 apply :frown:

Yeah for maths there are about 5 applications per place as well :eek4:

Politics?! I might apply for that with history!

MAKE FRIENDS!
Reply 8
Yeah for maths there are about 5 applications per place as well :eek4:

MAKE FRIENDS!

York is such a good uni, that's why - and yes, good idea!
Haha, I'm applying for physics!! A lot of people don't get it either, I suspect like for a math course, but I get you:smile: I'm from California, USA, and I am considering applying to York as one of my choices for 2015. Why have you guys decided to apply to York, because I need to make a decision. I like the city of York, but we didn't get a chance to visit the uni so I know basically nothing except that it has a good reputation and I'll have to interview if I get an offer.

If anyone has any other guidance too, just in case, I have 3 universities that I will apply to (Leeds, Southampton, and Sheffield), and I am trying to decide between applying to York, Lancaster, Liverpool, or Northumbria for my other 2 choices. (Northumbria only as a backup, which I don't even know is necessary because you guys have this thing called Clearing which sounds amazing, even though I don't fully understand it haha)
Yeah I'm looking to apply for York on a social work degree but worried about the move from home.
Reply 11
Original post by friendsfan08
Haha, I'm applying for physics!! A lot of people don't get it either, I suspect like for a math course, but I get you:smile: I'm from California, USA, and I am considering applying to York as one of my choices for 2015. Why have you guys decided to apply to York, because I need to make a decision. I like the city of York, but we didn't get a chance to visit the uni so I know basically nothing except that it has a good reputation and I'll have to interview if I get an offer.

If anyone has any other guidance too, just in case, I have 3 universities that I will apply to (Leeds, Southampton, and Sheffield), and I am trying to decide between applying to York, Lancaster, Liverpool, or Northumbria for my other 2 choices. (Northumbria only as a backup, which I don't even know is necessary because you guys have this thing called Clearing which sounds amazing, even though I don't fully understand it haha)

York is one of the best universities there is here :smile: why are you deciding to come here and not study at home?
Reply 12
Original post by clarke200
Yeah I'm looking to apply for York on a social work degree but worried about the move from home.

I'm worried too, I live in Northern Ireland! I have to move to a different country with a weird, horrible accent!
Reply 13
Thinking of applying to York, Surrey or Exeter for Criminology and Sociology. Can't decide which is best since I've never visited them :s-smilie:
York is one of the best universities there is here :smile: why are you deciding to come here and not study at home?

I am applying to some US schools, but if I had the choice I would go to the UK. This is for several reasons, like I already know what I want to study, and if I went to a US university (with the exception of Brown, which is highly selective) then my first two years would be general education classes that don't pertain to my major at all. Also, in US universities the class sizes are huge, up to 700 students, and we don't have anything like tutorials that you guys do. The sometimes-exception are small, private liberal arts colleges, but those generally don't have a science focus (I'm studying physics).
And because it's so easy to travel in the UK! Not just around the UK itself, but you guys are also really close to the rest of Europe, so it would be amazing to go to France or Germany or the Netherlands on breaks. In the US, getting around is expensive and time-consuming. You can drive for 5 hours and still be in the same state that you started in, haha. It's annoying.
Yeah the move will be worse for you but York is a wonderful place that's why I've chose to go there. As for the accent you will get used to that :smile:
Haha, cool!:smile: I'm excited more than anything, this convo just convinced me to apply to York. It looks absolutely stunning too
Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah york is a brillant place I have chose it becauase I didnt want to go to a place that was soley focused on nightlife york is full of thigs to do in the day as well :yes:
Hi

I'm thinking of applying for either Environmental Science or Environmental Geography, either way I need ABB and I got AACD at AS. Need to re-sit two modules and should have AAAB, so hopefully will be made an offer!!! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Hey, guys!
AS results today, ohhh.
I got AAAB, but I'm repeating the B because I'm 4 marks off an A.

Quick Reply

Latest