The Student Room Group

The fault in 'The Fault in out Stars'

I know this book is super popular and lots of people love it. But I really don't see why...

The characters are complete cardboard cut outs. While I felt sorry for them and their situation, they weren't anything special, they were quiet annoying, I thought. And how the hell do Hazel and Augustus come out with these really long and sophisticated monologues in a conversation without planning it? It's crazy.

Credit to John Green though, I love his YouTube channel and I'll definitely watch TFIOS film!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I like John Green as well and I was really dissapointed with the book. The characters weren't real or complex enough for me to actually care about them. It felt like things happened really quickly in the book but once I got to the end I felt like nothing had actually happened. The only character that I felt was real was Van Houten.

It also really bothered me that Augustus had 'muscular, sinewy arms' after months of treatment. It was what made me start to question the perfection of his character and his death didn't really change that tbh. :redface:
I found TFiOS disappointing - it's not exactly a terrible book, but it isn't extraordinary either, as some book reviews claim it to be - personally, I think it's quite overrated...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
"I know this book is super popular and lots of people love it."
That's the point. This book was made so simple, intentionally because its targeted at the public, not the specific intellectual readers. This book is marvelous, but its devoid of intricacies, like in 'looking for Alaska'. I've found many people who've disliked LFA but reading it, was a true delight. It was far more philosophical and deep than TFIOS. Having said this, TFIOS is a class-apart. There is beauty in its simplicity. Yep its not the greatest, but its pretty damn good!
Reply 4
John Green is overrated
Other than his occasional (completely accidental) "dudebro"-type comment, John Green is a fairly cool dude, IMHO, and is getting way more **** than most authors would due to his internet presence. He's good with words sometimes... Just.. Definitely not in that book.

It's awful and tropey as hell.
Reply 6
Nice to find people that share my opinion on this book. I swear if I say anything negative about this book people stare at me like I'm crazy...or heartless...or both

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Danni_
Nice to find people that share my opinion on this book. I swear if I say anything negative about this book people stare at me like I'm crazy...or heartless...or both

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my gosh, I totally know what you mean. At times my friends make it seem more cultish rather than simply reading a book and enjoying it.
Kinda like this (but not as extreme:tongue:): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-52N2BVHE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I agree! The book simply wasn't that great. The characters were boring and pretentious and I just wanted to slap them tbh. I like John green from what I've seen of his videos but i don't think he's that great as a writer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I've read the book and quite liked it...though I can see the flaws.

One thing though, I saw the cinema poster for it, and the caption was "One Sick Love Story"...is this not offensive?
Original post by TheDaylighter
Oh my gosh, I totally know what you mean. At times my friends make it seem more cultish rather than simply reading a book and enjoying it.
Kinda like this (but not as extreme:tongue:): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-52N2BVHE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hahaha thats great! I much prefer "Pizza? Pizza" instead of "Okay? Okay".
Original post by nohomo
I've read the book and quite liked it...though I can see the flaws.

me too. a lot of people say they cry but i, like, laughed through the whole book. i liked hazel's narration and it was more a chic lit book than anything lol
I have never come across teens that spout long sophisticated monologues in the middle of conversations, therefore I found it a little hard to connect with the characters. I also found them a little to pretentious and try hard; but john green does seem to have a way with words.
Reply 13
I suppose different people make different connections. Personally, I feel as though you were given just enough background into their characters for you to be able to feel who they are and to act out scenes in your head with your own depiction of what the characters would be like.

the fact that they speak in that manner emphasises that they are different. they aren't your average close-minded teenagers, they are LIVING and I think the book is inspirational.

i like how the book is real like they know they're dying because everybody is. the story is intriguing i.m.o
(edited 9 years ago)
I agree with you. I bought the book and I honestly didn't even make it half way through. I personally though the beginning was boring and dragged out. I felt no connections to the MC or any of the other characters like you should do. I may give it a chance and try to read it all before judging, but I seriously didn't like what I read. John Green is a great guy and some of his other work is much better...

Oh I also don't plan on seeing the movie either.
I'm halfway through the book and I'm finding it a burden to carry on. :dontknow:
I had the same problem with it. Whilst I made myself read to the end, and I did enjoy some parts, it just felt too forced - the dialogue being mostly to blame. You can tell that it was written by someone with much more experience than a teenager.

Still, it's nice to know so many people actually read books from time to time.
The fault in 'The Fault in out Stars'

Is that you've mispelled "our" :tongue:
I've heard many people say that the book made them cry so much, unlike any other book, which I found a little sad to be honest, because obviously I know it has the whole illness/death part which is sad, but I've read many stories about death and illness and they have made me cry so much more, I think it's unfair that the fault in our stars gained so much fame because of a dialogue that was kinda out of this world...Actually what was it that made it so much more famous than other stories that touch on the same themes?
Original post by WhiteRose100
...Actually what was it that made it so much more famous than other stories that touch on the same themes?

I think it was the fact that he already had a large following of young adults due to his shared youtube channel. I agree though, there are so many other books out there that deserve the popularity and praise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending