The Student Room Group
Yes. There are no conditions except if you fail your final exams you can get your acceptance revoked.

In the US you are taken on your grades at the time of application.
But he didn't take his A2 exams, isn't this similar to failing your final exam?
No because A-Levels don't count in the US admissions process. However I'd call that a very stupid decision if he ever intends to return to the UK! Many jobs require A2s.
Reply 4
I've always felt that if you get a unconditional offer the institution in question would still like to see an attitude close to the one you were showing before the acceptance. Would have been a good idea to have done the A2 exams anyway.

^Doody.
shady lane
No because A-Levels don't count in the US admissions process.

Really? Then howcome they ask for predicted A level grades?
They count in the sense of understanding your academic performance. But A-Levels are not recognized as qualifications in themselves in the US. If you have a letter from your school saying you completed the required coursework, whether or not you took A-Levels isn't that important to the US university.

In the same way, an American student can decide not to take any of their AP exams after being accepted to university.
Is it all universities that do not accept a levels or just the really good ones that ppl on here are likely to be applying to?

Could you get in a third rate place with a levels?
Reply 8
shady lane
They count in the sense of understanding your academic performance. But A-Levels are not recognized as qualifications in themselves in the US. If you have a letter from your school saying you completed the required coursework, whether or not you took A-Levels isn't that important to the US university.

In the same way, an American student can decide not to take any of their AP exams after being accepted to university.

The way I understand it, AP tests and A-Levels are not the same thing. The way I understand it A-Levels are more like a final grade where AP tests are an optional attempt to get college credit.

Even an unconditional acceptance is not really unconditional. It just means that if you do as they expect you to then you won't be on any type of academic probation. They still expect you to turn in your final grades and your admission cannot be finalized until they receive them.
What do you mean by academic probation?
Reply 10
jeffreyweingard
What do you mean by academic probation?

No remediation, no close academic scrutiny, ect. Unconditional acceptance just says that they think you are ready to join their student body as is. However, they can change their minds at any time.
Reply 11
many US unis requires 12 year of study so thats up to the AS year. The 13th year/A level can sometimes be used for extra credit.

But the top ones say you have to complete education that will enable you to enter uni in your home country ie. A levels.

basically you dont have to worry to much about your alevel grades but the offer is still conditional. (edit: not based on results but on completeing school)
Well if he says his friend is going to Dartmouth and didn't do A2...clearly they're not required?
Reply 13
i read it to mean he didnt take his A2 exams. not that he didnt attend lessons during the A2 year.
^^

Yeah me too. So he did the coursework but not the exams. Other people were saying that's not possible but apparently it is!
Reply 15
he may not have done coursework at all. All he would need is the school to give me a grade and a attendence and behaviour report for his final year.

of course its possible. just dont go for the exams.

Latest

Trending

Trending