The Student Room Group

Should there be global tests so that education can be compared on the global stage?

The OECD want to roll out tests that would allow people to compare education quality (student performance) from country to country, but the UK's top universities are blocking progress as they fear it could damage their reputations for excellence by the unrecognised worth of lesser known institutions.

I say bring on the tests! It surely only leads to less elitism and improved quality in our universities! Or, are they just ANOTHER test?

https://StuRents.com/news/post/2014/07/03/opposition-from-the-top-to-pisa-style-global-student-tests/191/
Personally, I would be against such tests. The tests for 15 year olds have already lead to Michael Gove and plenty of other education ministers in Western countries trying to copy bits of the education system in Shanghai, which doesn't seem to be working out for us. So I would definetly be against an expansion of the OECD's influence over education on a global scale.
Besides, only testing "core subject areas" doesn't reflect the merits of a broad education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending