The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys do you think Oxford Medicine is less competitive than Cambridge? (A relative of mine mentioned that it is harder to get into Cambridge than into Oxford) or would you say it is the same?
Original post by rachel_roar
Hey guys do you think Oxford Medicine is less competitive than Cambridge? (A relative of mine mentioned that it is harder to get into Cambridge than into Oxford) or would you say it is the same?

Oxford has a lower acceptance rate (11% compared to cambridge's 15%), so make of that what you will.
But in reality they use completely different selection criteria.
If you have good gcse's (90% A* or more) then apply to Oxford.
If you have good UMS (95% or more) then apply to Cambridge.
Also bear in mind that oxford uses the bmat a lot more than cambridge do, essentially oxford multiply your %A* at GCSE by your standardised bmat score and then interview the top 30%. Cambridge interview everyone that meets their entry requirements.
From interview on the selection process is a lot murkier, but obviously you are more likely to get an offer from oxford post interview than from cambridge, as oxford interview a much smaller percentage of their applicants.
Has anybody been to Oriel, Magdalen or St Johns? I'm stuck for which one to choose (applying for History and Politics) so was wondering if anybody could help me out? I've been to St Johns and loved it but Magdalen and Oriel seem lovely too :s-smilie:
Original post by antigone-
Has anybody been to Oriel, Magdalen or St Johns? I'm stuck for which one to choose (applying for History and Politics) so was wondering if anybody could help me out? I've been to St Johns and loved it but Magdalen and Oriel seem lovely too :s-smilie:

Possibly unhelpful, but have you read the Oxford online 'alternative prospectus'? It's written by the students so might offer an extra insight? Worth a look if you haven't already seen it :smile:
Original post by Ivoryfall
Possibly unhelpful, but have you read the Oxford online 'alternative prospectus'? It's written by the students so might offer an extra insight? Worth a look if you haven't already seen it :smile:

Thank you I'll have a look! :smile:

I looked round Magdalen at the open day, and I'm applying for the same as you.

I thought I was really nice, and so I didn't actually look round many colleges. I liked Magdalen, and to be honest I didn't want to over complicate it.

As you probably know it has really pretty grounds, it's close enough to the centre, you get accommodation for three years and some cool people got history degrees from there.

Some people might say I should put more thought into it, but I'm sure all colleges are really nice in their own ways. I got a good feeling from this one so just left it at that.

Is there anything really specific you want to know?
Original post by MouseyBrown
I looked round Magdalen at the open day, and I'm applying for the same as you.

I thought I was really nice, and so I didn't actually look round many colleges. I liked Magdalen, and to be honest I didn't want to over complicate it.

As you probably know it has really pretty grounds, it's close enough to the centre, you get accommodation for three years and some cool people got history degrees from there.

Some people might say I should put more thought into it, but I'm sure all colleges are really nice in their own ways. I got a good feeling from this one so just left it at that.

Is there anything really specific you want to know?

Not really just wanted to know people's impressions and experiences. My teacher did Law at Magdalen and strongly recommended it for History, but I do like Oriel too :s-smilie: Thanks!
Original post by Plagioclase
Unless you genuinely want to take a gap year, no. Taking a year out just for the sake of improving your chance of getting into Oxford isn't a great idea because even with top grades, you're still not guaranteed a place and you could very well end up where you started, but now having wasted an entire year of your time. There's still no harm in applying to Oxford and with AAABB at AS you've still got a great chance for practically every other university in the UK, and the truth is that you'll probably end up just as happy somewhere else as you would be at Oxford even if you don't get in.

If you do have ideas on how you could spend your gap year constructively and you don't feel that it would be a wasted year even if you didn't get into Oxford the second time round, then you could apply post-A2. If your A2 results are great then you'd definitely be in a much stronger position applying. It's still not a bad idea to apply this year though, at the very worst you'll have gained experience that will be useful in your second application.

I'm a second year undergraduate at Oxford at hot AABC at AS :smile:
Not really just wanted to know people's impressions and experiences. My teacher did Law at Magdalen and strongly recommended it for History, but I do like Oriel too :s-smilie: Thanks!

Just remember that Louis Theroux studied there!

You written your PS yet? What direction are you going in with it? It's for sure gonna be trickier for joint schools.
Just remember that Louis Theroux studied there!

You written your PS yet? What direction are you going in with it? It's for sure gonna be trickier for joint schools.

Yes! I'm quite happy with it but it's Politics focused so I need to balance it out a bit :/ you?
Original post by colourtheory
I'm a second year undergraduate at Oxford at hot AABC at AS :smile:

The problem wasn't so much that they had AAABB at AS but more that the B was in Mathematics, and they're applying for Physics. That's why I said their chances aren't great. I'm guessing that one of your As was in History.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes! I'm quite happy with it but it's Politics focused so I need to balance it out a bit :/ you?

I've kind of been planning it all summer but haven't written a word yet. Just starting to get all my notes together.

Read some good stuff this summer, especially Hobsbawm, and it's all fairly political history, but I'm gonna have to tie it all together nicely somehow. Just need to get down to writing it really, then can get onto the HAT.
Original post by Plagioclase
The problem wasn't so much that they had AAABB at AS but more that the B was in Mathematics, and they're applying for Physics. That's why I said their chances aren't great. I'm guessing that one of your As was in History.

Note to self - read the post. Damn it.
I've kind of been planning it all summer but haven't written a word yet. Just starting to get all my notes together.

Read some good stuff this summer, especially Hobsbawm, and it's all fairly political history, but I'm gonna have to tie it all together nicely somehow. Just need to get down to writing it really, then can get onto the HAT.

Well you've got about a month so plenty of time really! I did read some Hobsbawn actually but it's not inkeeping with the other topics I mentioned.

I definitely do need to practice the HAT, luckily I got into a Year 13 Application Day where, among other things, current History and other joint honours students help out with HAT prep and the like. If I learn anything interesting I will let you know (unless you're going) :smile:
Original post by colourtheory
x

It's me again! Does Worcester have some kind of place for the secure storing of bikes onsite or would you have to keep them in your room?

Couuld you also help me make sense of the costs of accomodation of the Worcester website- been trying to plan financing and stuff but can't seem how they, for the sake of example, get the cost per term:

G6.£20.98 per day£1,230.69 per term£3,692.48 per annum
"Students will also be liable for charges for utilities and amenities at £107.84 and £111.01 per term respectively."

I gather that a term consists of 59 nights, so 59 x £20.98 should be £1237.82 but its cheaper, and there is also a discrepancy between the per term and per annum charge. Could you just clarify if you could about why this is, and whether the final charge per term would be £1230.69+£107.84+£111.01= £1449.54 or are there some other fixed charges you must pay?
Original post by Eux
It's me again! Does Worcester have some kind of place for the secure storing of bikes onsite or would you have to keep them in your room?

Couuld you also help me make sense of the costs of accomodation of the Worcester website- been trying to plan financing and stuff but can't seem how they, for the sake of example, get the cost per term:

G6.£20.98 per day£1,230.69 per term£3,692.48 per annum
"Students will also be liable for charges for utilities and amenities at £107.84 and £111.01 per term respectively."

I gather that a term consists of 59 nights, so 59 x £20.98 should be £1237.82 but its cheaper, and there is also a discrepancy between the per term and per annum charge. Could you just clarify if you could about why this is, and whether the final charge per term would be £1230.69+£107.84+£111.01= £1449.54 or are there some other fixed charges you must pay?

Yes we have bike storage on site so no need to keep your bike in your room.

Within each band of accommodation there is some variation so it's probably not too helpful to worry about arriving at an exact figure at this stage. Charges are reviewed at the end of every year so you won't be paying that exact amount regardless.

Having said that, £1450 sounds almost exactly spot on for an ensuite band 6 room with kitchen access and I'd use that amount for budgeting. £1230 is a pretty standard room price on top of which you're charged for amenities and utilities which brings it up to about £1450 (I think I'm paying that next year).

If that sounds like a lot of money, you can email the accommodation office before arriving and they can organise a cheaper room for you so it's really not too bad. I did that last year and was placed in a newly renovated medieval cottage that I'm really gonna miss. I only paid about £950 ish per term.

During your very first term you have a couple of other charges to pay. There's a refundable deposit on your room that is given back at the end of your third year of £150, and a couple of £5 charges for various security access cards and laundry cards etc. (all of which are refunded when you hand them back at the end of your third year).

Your battles bill also includes any formal hall meals that you attended during the previous term and various voluntary donations to charity that are added to your account. During Trinity all students also pay a £5 charge for use of the college punts during the term (you can use them as many times as you like and you won't have to pay any more). Essentially your bill will fluctuate term on term so don't worry too much about exact amounts.
I'm so sorry for spamming but I would love if someone could please reply to me.
I would be applying to Engineering Science.
GCSE: 10A*s and 3 As
AS: AAAAB in Maths, further maths, economics, physics and chemistry, in that order.

I'm dropping economics now.
Thank you so much:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Geetigirl
I'm so sorry for spamming but I would love if someone could please reply to me.
I would be applying to Engineering Science.
GCSE: 10A*s and 3 As
AS: AAAAB in Maths, further maths, economics, physics and chemistry, in that order.

I'm dropping economics now.
Thank you so much:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applicant here with lower grades and less AS have been given offers and have a good chance. Your grades are good and relevant, i cant imagine you have less chance than most. Oxford looks more at the interview and onsite tests rather than the UMS scores that Cambridge value, but less people are interviewed at Oxford, so really your odds are pretty even :smile:
Essentually, if you are able to meet the minimum entry required as stated on the course page at Oxfords website, you are in with as much of a chance as anyone and there is no reason not to apply :smile:

Original post by Ivoryfall

I'd also recommend the college Pros and Cons page:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons

Unless your teacher only finished university very very recently, that's probably not an opinion you should put too much weight on. And even if they are a recent graduate, they're going to be rather biased! No doubt Magdalen is lovely, but at the same time, so is everywhere else :biggrin:
Original post by fluteflute
I'd also recommend the college Pros and Cons page:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons

Unless your teacher only finished university very very recently, that's probably not an opinion you should put too much weight on. And even if they are a recent graduate, they're going to be rather biased! No doubt Magdalen is lovely, but at the same time, so is everywhere else :biggrin:

Yeah that's why I don't like it being my only source! Thanks for the link! Honestly the information on both colleges is equally great, I just can't decide :frown:

The only bad thing about Magdalen so far seems to be the first year accommodation isn't amazing, but that isn't a big enough problem for me to completely discount it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending