The Student Room Group

Building a robot project (EPQ)

Hello,

I am doing the extended project qualification and was thinking about designing, creating and programming a robot. I thought this would be useful as I want to study computer science at university. I really would like to try an get an A* so I need to come up with something impressive and creative. I have very little previous experience with robotics/programming so I need as much help as possible.

Could anyone provide me with innovative ideas and explain the basics of how I could start? I don't want to buy a robot kit or copy youtube tutorials exactly as I think this won't show much creativity. I would rather come up with the ideas and how to make it by myself and create a robot that has a purpose. I really want it to be something impressive!! Also, I am more interested in the computer science side rather than the electronics side, so I would like my project to have a computer science focus.

I have a small budget, so I want to build something great but for the least amount of money possible. Also, bear in mind I can use school equipment and resources such as sanding machines/soldering etc… so I am flexible with resources.

Any help would be incredibly useful! I will be very grateful for any directions/ideas.

Many thanks!
Original post by holdyourbreath
Hello,

I am doing the extended project qualification and was thinking about designing, creating and programming a robot. I thought this would be useful as I want to study computer science at university. I really would like to try an get an A* so I need to come up with something impressive and creative. I have very little previous experience with robotics/programming so I need as much help as possible.

Could anyone provide me with innovative ideas and explain the basics of how I could start? I don't want to buy a robot kit or copy youtube tutorials exactly as I think this won't show much creativity. I would rather come up with the ideas and how to make it by myself and create a robot that has a purpose. I really want it to be something impressive!! Also, I am more interested in the computer science side rather than the electronics side, so I would like my project to have a computer science focus.

I have a small budget, so I want to build something great but for the least amount of money possible. Also, bear in mind I can use school equipment and resources such as sanding machines/soldering etc… so I am flexible with resources.

Any help would be incredibly useful! I will be very grateful for any directions/ideas.

Many thanks!

Heya, I'm going to put this in the sciences forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=51
I've just been reading an article about a work experience placement bit.ly/1oqSIC4 Could you not do something similar and join a Robotic shop/organisation close to home? It will stand you in good stead for future careers too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending